Friday, August 8, 2014

Friday Reads: The Girl With All The Gifts by M.R. Carey!!!

For my last Friday Reads entry of the week, I have yet another 5 stars review for today! I must thank Wendy from The Midnight Garden for her review, recommendation and book pushing to make sure I preordered this one!

And a big thank you and a hug to my dear canary and awesome fellow blogger Kristen from My Friends Are Fiction for buddy reading this one with me. If there is a book that need to be read with a buddy, is this one! Someone to discuss all the twists and to give moral support through the creepiest bits was extremely welcome!


The Girl with All the GiftsThe Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


This is one those books that you just cannot help but want to push into everyone's hands as soon as you're done reading it, even more... I started recommending it even while reading it!

Wendy from The Midnight Garden was the one that put this book on my radar, and conviced me to preorder it immediately! And boy am I glad she did! I read this one with Kristen of My Friends Are Fiction and it was the right thing to do! This is a wild ride of a book and having someone to talk to about all the shocks and turns you keep on getting!

I'm gonna try to keep this review as vague as I can because this book is best enjoyed with as little information as possible! Not without some warnings, of course. This is a disturbing book, with some really creepy moments, some extremely disgusting moments of violence (animal and children). But it is also full of food for thought and a lot of moral questions. And this is a zombie book, but really I should say that this is THE zombie book!

Now, you go and read the book! Never mind me babbling for a little longer here, because I cannot help it, since this was a fantastic book!

The summary is a bit vague and with good reason! We start the book wanting to know why Melanie is in a cell and then taken to a classroom at gun point. And it is not a mystery that is dragged along the book, not at all. I was actually very surprised how soon we got some of those answers, but then again... this book manages to throw you a curve ball every few chapters, completely unexpected and that leaves you reeling. And of course there are added creepy and disturbing moments all over the place!

And that ending... I had no clue how the book was gonna end because by then I was sure I was gonna get surprised not matter what theories I had made up on my own head. And yes, the ending got me completely by surprise. Once you think about it for a while, it is both a hopeful and still grim & hopeless sort of an ending and the most fitting sort of ending for this book.

This is a 5 stars book, and probably ALL THE STARS! I loved it to bits, how it made me squirm, how it made me think, how plausible is it, how science wasn't dumbed down but not confusing, how creepy and disturbing and how deep it was. A brilliant brilliant book indeed!



View all my reviews

22 comments:

  1. Perfect amount of review to get me even more excited!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I really cannot wait till you read it!

      Delete
  2. I am seeing way too many good reviews of this book! I might have to cave in and read it :)

    Kate @ Ex Libris


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really ought to Kate! The hype is not underserved at all!

      Delete
  3. Aw, yay :D Great review sweetie. <3 I'm so glad you loved this one. I'm not sure when I'll have the time to read it, but hopefully soonish. So excited. And ohh. I do love creepy books, lol. I cannot wait. Thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll get to read it soon!, sweetie! This one is plenty creepy!

      Delete
  4. Usually my best reads come from fellow blogger recommendations, so I'm glad to hear that Wendy did good! Surprise endings are my favourite, and I love it when a story does creepy well. Fab review, Pili. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carmel! I agree, I've discovered such amazing books through my fellow blogger friends!

      Delete
  5. As much as I want to pick this up because it got a 5 from you Pili, I know it's not the book for me. Zombies scare the life out of me, so add in animal violence on top of it and I know I won't be able to handle it. I'd be curled in a fetal ball in the corner muttering to myself ;-) I'm so glad you loved it though and that it was one of those reads that really made you think and ask questions. Those are the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a brilliant book but if you don't deal with zombies well, yeah... you ought to skip this one. It is THE zombie book and it's indeed creepy and disturbing!
      Thank you Jenny!

      Delete
  6. Yay, wonderful Review Pili :-) this was the perfect buddy read book. We were continually shocked (often appalled) and always thinking deeply about what we'd do in the same situation. I loved it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great read indeed! We need to do another buddy read soon-ish!

      Delete
  7. I was completely shocked by the ending, too, Pili. And then I wondered WHY I was so shocked, because it was the only logical answer, and it's certainly something that a girl like Melanie would think of. And you're right - it was hopeful, too, even though I didn't really think about that at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you think about it, it is logical, but is not what we are used to get on other zombie stories, so I guess that's where the shock came!
      Thanks Stephanie!

      Delete
  8. Oh Pili, thank you so much for keeping your review vague, I really want to read this book for all of the twists and turns and how amazing everyone has said it is. I love how there are creepy bits in the book as well. Lovely review - I really need to read this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd really love this one Jeann! And yeah, this is one of those books that need vague reviews, with just a few warnings! Cannot wait to hear what you think!

      Delete
  9. Oh my. I'm not sure what to think of this one. On the one hand, I usually don't enjoy these types of books. On the other hand, you have been pushing this one ;D It's on the list, so perhaps I'll read it soon!

    Awesome review, Pili! I love your enthusiasm :)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alyssa!! You know how I get when I really really love a book! ;)
      Give this one a try and see if you like it!

      Delete
  10. Fine, fine . . . I'll give the zombie book a shot ;) Seriously though--this book really does sound fabulous. Great review, Pili!

    ReplyDelete
  11. EXCELLENT, my insistent book-pushing methods work! :D :D :D I'm so excited that you loved this too, Pili! *dances* I agree that the ending was both grim and hopeful, depending on your perspective. This was such an amazing book, and I am glad that you are now pushing the book onto others, hee hee.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are an excellent book pusher Wendy and none of your recommendations have failed me yet!
      And yet, I'm pushing this book on everyone and anyone, left, right and centre!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!