Friday, August 29, 2014

Friday Reads: Mortal Danger by Ann Aguirre!!

Aaaand welcome to the final entry to this week's Friday Reads!

This book has taken me a bit to finish reading, not because I wasn't enjoying it but mostly cause I needed to take a break now and then from its glorious creepiness and cause I wanted to read as much of it during daylight hours as possible, something I failed at, cause I read the last 35% of it and probably the creepiest bits after work and dinner last night!

I've also discovered I really need to read more Ann Aguirre books cause I've loved all three of her books I've read so far!



Mortal Danger (Immortal Game, #1)Mortal Danger by Ann Aguirre

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Mortal Danger is a book that doesn't really hold any punches back. I'm still a bit shellshocked after everything that happened in this book and I'm really impressed with how it juggled tough contemporary themes like bullying and mixes it with a rich and creepy world of hidden power plays in a paranormal world.

Edit has suffered an extremely upsetting and enraging case of bullying from her peers for years at this exclusive high school, and that along with the way some of the adults around her dealt with it, making her feel it was her fault, drove her to the jumpers' bridge, ready to put an end to her suffering. But a beautiful stranger approaches her and offers her a better alternative, a way to change her life that means not having to give up but means a chance to getting back at her tormentors.

Edit seizes it, and even in her despair and immense sadness, she manages to keep her head and not walk into the deal completely blinded. She will find herself a bit way over her head, but she will not stop fighting and that's what makes her such a great survivor. She tries to get out of her older skin, try to shake her fearful and humiliated old self, and with her deal done, she takes a new leaf and tries to become a new person and get her revenge. But soon revenge takes a back seat with all the paranormal and inexplicable stuff happening around her, and she realizes that revenge might not be exactly what she wants anymore, not the way things start happening.

Kian is a character that I wasn't entirely sure about at first, but despite Edit's reasonable doubts I was sure quite early that he really was on her side, despite his tendency to keep secrets to protect her, which is a trait that I don't appreciate much in characters. No matter what, they're chemistry was great and I loved those moments that were about just them together and that they really learn to make a great team, relaying in one another.

One thing this book exceeded at was being creepy as hell. SO many creepy characters and moments would jump at you unexpectedly and would make me shiver and pause while reading (full disclosure, yes, I'm a wuss, but this book is very creepy!!) and now that I'm done with the book, I'm a bit afraid of going to sleep and having some nightmares, cause the descriptions and the ambience of the book were so vivid and creepy!

And another thing that was wonderfully done and that I've treasured every tidbit was the amazing mythology built around this paranormal creatures and happenings and the deals done in exchange of saving someone from death. I won't be getting much into it, but I found it so fascinating that I cannot wait to meet more characters and get more in-depth with it!

Be sure to be prepared to many many ups and downs with this book and remember that no one is safe and always wait for the other shoe to drop, cause holy hell does it fall! A fantastic book very much deserving of 4.5 stars!



View all my reviews

28 comments:

  1. If there's one thing that Ann Aguirre does well, it's creepy! So, I'd have to say mission accomplished as far as Mortal Danger is concerned. Hehe And, you know how much I love my paranormal mythology, so the fact that the author nailed that aspect of the story was the only thing I needed to know in order to be convinced to add it to my to-read shelf. Happy Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had only read two of her NA's and now I feel like I really must check her YA dystopian cause she seems to do everything weel!
      Thank you Carmel!

      Delete
  2. Woo hoo! Glad you were a fan too Pili!!! And yes, this book was definitely creepy and took things to a darker place than I was expecting when I went in. I loved that it could surprise me though, and like you, I was really impressed by the paranormal mythology and the setup of the game. I can't wait to see what happens next! Lovely, lovely review my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very creepy and very dark, I read the sampler and I had no idea things were gonna be this dark either, Jenny. So amazing!
      Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Giiiiiiirl. I know what you mean by creepy! I may have given this one three stars but GODDAMN when the creatures started appearing my imagination was going wild!!

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy you ended up liking this one. I think my expectations might have been a tad too lofty. I liked it but no love--which is what I really wanted. I loved the creepy bits--so well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I'm sorry you didn't love it, but at least the creepy bits were beyond awesome! =D

      Delete
  5. Oh my God! I really want to read this book now!
    I've read only bad reviews about it (specially about the insta-love), your review sounds amazing! and I'm dying to read a book as creepy as this seems!
    Thanks for your review, Pili!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't really feel like insta love for me, maybe insta attraction but no insta love at all.
      I do hope you'll give it a chance, Lis!!

      Delete
  6. Yes! Dude, this was creepy as hell! I remember beta reading it and practically fearing every new chapter that comes my way. And then Ann sent me some photos of those darn creepy children and there went my sleep! Darn those black eyes! I'm a coward, people!
    I have to agree about the mythology, but also that it combines contemporary and paranormal very well. I'm glad you enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, having my own mental image of those damned creepy kids was bad enough, I don't think I could deal with the photos that inspired her!
      And I can understand you fearing the next chapter to come, I was afraid of what might come when I turned the page!
      Thank you Maja!

      Delete
  7. Oh nice I love seeing a review from someone who really enjoyed it. I DNFed this one about half way through - was not for me, but I did like the concept. I also did not get to the very creepy parts so that has me curious! I was also not sure about Kian, I didn't really like him all that much. I'm glad he got to be a good character, though! Great review, hun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear it didn't work for you, but not all books work equally for everyone, but yeah bit of a shame you missed all the creepy bits!
      Thank you Giselle!

      Delete
  8. YAY! SO glad you enjoyed this one! I feel like too mnay people are DNF-ing this one and not getting to the really good stuff... their loss!

    Excellent review, Pili!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the book should come with a warning "wait till you reach the creepy parts and then decide if you want to continue or not!" ;)

      Delete
  9. I have been seeing this book around a lot but I this is the first review I have seen for it! I am so glad you liked it!:)

    If a book is that creepy ( I assume in the best way possible?) that you have to read only during daylight hours, you can definitely count me in! :D

    This seems to be very deserving of the four stars you gave it! Great review! :D

    Alex @ The Shelf Diaries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's awesomely creepy!! I highly recommend it, Alex!!

      Delete
  10. Yay for creepy books! I tend to really like them, so I definitely plan on reading this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like creepy books, this is a must for you Kaitlin!

      Delete
  11. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed the book and the creepiness factor - that's why it captured my attention. Edit is a weird name for a character though, but at least she gets some decent development and she's got her head screwed on right. Lovely review Pili!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her name is Edith and she feels it sounds a bit too old lady, and somehow Edit also fits all that goes on during the book!
      Thank you, Jeann!

      Delete
  12. Aw, yay. <3 Great review Pili :) I'm glad you loved this book. I had some issues with it, but I did enjoy it :D Sigh. The Enclave books by Ann.. they are stunning. <3 You must read them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, I must must read the Enclave books then, while I wait for the sequel of this one!
      Thank you for recommending Carina!

      Delete
  13. I have no idea what this book is about but I can tell it's creepy. I don't know it's for me though, I cannot take scary for my life! I'm glad to see that you felt the main character never blinked out. I hate when the characters decide to stop using thei brains and enter a very predictable problem. Thanks for your review :)

    -Mari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit of big wuss myself Mari, but this book was totally worth every creepy moment!!

      Delete
  14. Your review makes me really eager to go ahead and give this book a try! I've not read any other books by the author but have been told numerous times she is great, and I did meet her last year. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Lisa! This is a fantastic book I highly highly recommend!!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!