Saturday, August 9, 2014

Saturday Pages: ARC Review of I Want It That Way by Ann Aguirre!!

As the second and last entry for this week's Saturday Pages I have an ARC review that since was read last month, I won't count for ARC August but that will be counted towards my 2014 Review Pile Reading Challenge!





I Want It That WayI Want It That Way by Ann Aguirre

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I haven't been very much a contemporary romance reader, and even less the rather recent New Adult genre that has come up, but when I saw that Ann Aguirre had a NA trilogy coming and read her tweets about the books and saw the titles, that makes me sing BSB songs EVERY TIME, I knew I had to read them!

So when I saw this one NetGalley I immediately requested it and was lucky enough to be approved by Harlequin! And I was right to do so, cause I really enjoyed this book a lot!

I Want It That Way is the story of Nadia, a girl determined to make a good future for herself, focusing on finishing college while working to help her parents pay for it and then try to find a job as a special education teacher. She's always been very focused and even though she's still trying to enjoy some social life with her friends and roommates.

And it's exactly how the book starts, with Nadia moving into apartment 2B with her best friend Lauren and friends from college Max and Angus and meeting Ty, the resident of 1B. The first meeting isn't exactly heartwarming but after a chat on the balcony at night, they start a tentative friendship with a strong underlying attraction between them.

Ty is a single dad, with 3 year old and trying to juggle too many things, with night classes, a job and taking care of Sam, his son. He also has quite an amount of baggage and so he's not ready to get embroiled into an affair with the girl from upstairs and even less, allow himself to think about a relationship. Sam is his first and only priority.

The book is not only about how Ty and Nadia deal with their attraction and how they try to work with their relationship, but also with friendship and family. The relationship between Nadie and her roommates and how they help each other with their issues was great, the secondary character were well developed and never felt like just background noise.

There was no unnecessary drama between Ty and Nadia, and even when things weren't exactly peachy between them, they were always very honest with each other, no hidden drama, no cards kept up their sleeves. I loved how determined Nadia was to go for what she knew she wanted and not being afraid of facing the changes that pile up on her life.

Ann Aguirre knows how to write good chemistry, not overly drama filled or overly typical cliches stories and her characters feel genuine and you feel like rooting for them from very early on! I really enjoyed this one, despite how much the final part of the story made me cry. All in all, well deserved 4 stars for this one and I cannot wait to read the next NA books that Aguirre has coming soon!



View all my reviews

12 comments:

  1. Aw, great review Pili :) I'm so glad you enjoyed this book. <3 It is not my kind of story, but I do adore Ann :) And YAY for no unnecessary drama, lol :) Thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweetie! I haven't read many books by Ann Aguirre but I'm really liking all the ones I've read so far!

      Delete
  2. It's amazing how Ann Aguirre consistenly churns out a lot of books each year. I mean didn't she just recently released Razorland a few months ago, then Mortal Danger, and all the Backstreet Boys-named books this year ? If I remember correctly, the second and third books will be released in September and October this year as well. In any case, this sounds so good! I love the name and the premise, and I love the single-dad theme. I want that explored and I haven't read anything with that yet!

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! How can she have 4 books coming out this year!? And the ones I've read are really good!
      You ought to check this one, Faye!

      Delete
  3. I just got this in the mail! And it sounds like just what I need -- I just finished a long fantasy book that nearly made my head explode....
    Thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes you really need a change of pace and contemporary is great after fantasy!
      Thank you, Jen!

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad that you enjoyed this one! For a non-NA-contemporary-romance-lover, I really liked it :D And I totally agree about the lack of unnecessary drama, thank goodness for that! :D

    Excellent review, Pili!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, no unnecessary drama for the win!
      Thank you, Alyssa!

      Delete
  5. "Ain't nothin' but a heartache
    Tell me why
    Ain't nothin' but a mistake
    Tell me why
    I never wanna hear you say
    I want it that way..."
    EVERY. SINGLE. TIME! lol ;) You know, ever since I started seeing you talking about these books, BSB songs have been stuck in my head 24/! So you know what I did? I added a BSB playlist on my phone so I can listen to it whenever I want, hehehe.

    Anyway, I'm not much of a contemp reader, so I don't think i'll be picking up this book any time soon. Those titles though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *continues singing along*

      Yep, the titles get me every time! ;)

      Delete
  6. I've seen Ann's books all around lately, but this is the first I'm hearing of this one, Pili! I love the sound of this one though, and you're totally right. Ann knows how to craft chemistry. I'm sold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot wait to hear what you think of this one, Melissa!!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!