Saturday, August 16, 2014

Saturday Pages: Mini-review of Poison Dance by Livia Blackburne!!

Hello guys! How's your Saturday going? I'm finally getting all my pending parcels from the PO, so no matter what, today is gonna be a good day!

I'm starting this week's Saturday Pages with a mini-review that has been pending for a little while, but finally I have it here!



Poison Dance: A NovellaPoison Dance: A Novella by Livia Blackburne

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Poison Dance is a prequel novella, and it's about James and the Assassin's Guild. It's a bit difficult to say if you ought to read it before or after The Midnight Thief, but I read it after and it worked pretty well.

James is a young assassin in the Guild in this novella and it gives us a bit more of insight into his character and how he became the man that we meet in Midnight Thief. Things are unstable in the Guild and the seeds of the organization as it is on Midnight Thief are all in here.

The tone and narrative voice is quite different between Poison Dance and Midnight Thief. Here it is darker and a bit more adult, cause James is older and in a darker path already that Kyra is. He's a killer already, but he isn't overtly ambitious and is only trying to carve a life for himself and his friends.

Somehow even if this made me understand James a bit better and even relate to the heartbreak and betrayal and anger that drove him to where he ends up, but I guess because I already disliked him enough I didn't get to feel too much sympathy for him.

It was quite interesting to see the events to led to James being who he is in Midnight Thief and read about the events only hinted at in there, but a word of warning... if you don't like this one too much, don't discount Midnight Thief on account of this one, they're different enough. 3.5 to this one.



View all my reviews

6 comments:

  1. Did you read this one before or after reading Midnight Thief? I read it before, and LOVED it - and loved MT as well.

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read it after and I keep on thinking that I should have read it before, dammit!

      Delete
  2. Great review Pili. <3 I'm glad you liked this one. I still haven't decided if I want to read it or not. I quite enjoyed the book. But this? I did not like James. Not at all. So I'm not sure I want to read about him, hah :) Thank you for sharing sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This James is not the Midnight Thief James, but this book didn't make me like James all that much... I think it's best to read this one first, as Alyssa said. Thanks sweetie!

      Delete
  3. I felt the same way, Pili. I didn't really care why James did the things he did, b/c I felt like he was a completely unredeemable character. I don't think I liked or disliked him after reading this, but after Midnight Thief . . . yeah, not even a little bit. ALSO--I'm sorry for commenting in fits and starts for the last several weeks. Life has been nuts, and it's about to get nuts again, b/c I'm going to a 4 day Con next weekend, but I'm not always like this I promise, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy the con Jessica! And do not worry! I haven't really been the best at keeping up with comments as of late either!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!