Saturday, August 16, 2014

Saturday Pages: Midnight Thief by Livia Blackburne!!

As the final entry for this week's Saturday Pages I have a book that came highly recommended from some of my fave bloggers and canaries!


Midnight Thief (Midnight Thief, #1)Midnight Thief by Livia Blackburne

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Midnight Thief came highly recommended by one of my fave canaries and book bloggers, Alyssa from The Eater of Books, since it was one of her few 5 stars and fave books of the year, with this recommendation and the fact that I am very much in the mood for fantasy, I knew I needed to read this one as soon as possible!

As always, I will try my best to keep spoilers out of my review as much as possible, but that might make the review a bit more vague.

Kyra is a thief and has been pretty much since she can remember. She was one of the kids living on the streets and started doing better for herself using her abilities and some friends she made. We meet her when she's doing a special job for a new employer, James, a powerful man of the underworld of the city, and we see how she ends up recruited into the Guild of Assassins.

There are two different but intertwined plot lines & POV, one where Kyra is employed by the Assassin's Guild to do some special jobs for them and we meet James and some of his best men. And the second one is Tristam's, a knight that is working on discovering and fighting the threat of the Demon Riders.

Both POVs were very distinct and I cannot say which one I liked most during the first half of the book, but during the second half I prefered Tristam's POV because I was growing uncomfortable with Kyra's involvement with James and his plotting. I was really enjoying the book and the plot till we got to the point of the Demon Riders revelations... I was just bewildered and I'm not sure how everything will tie together and there's too many unknowns about them.

Since this is the first book and there are more to come, I'm hoping we'll get more about the Riders and it will be making more sense. It's probably the part that makes this book more fantasy than just historical fantasy, but still it didn't work entirely too well for me, and I'm not even sure why!

I liked Kyra's character and her not-by-blood family and I liked how the interactions between Kyra and Tristam worked. There really wasn't much romance per se, just a few little hints here and there, but it worked very well with how the story progressed.

Despite some of my reservations, I really enjoyed the story and kept on turning page after page! I give this very interesting debut 3.5 stars and I'm looking forward to read the sequel!



View all my reviews

8 comments:

  1. There is a sequel, fear not! It's a duology series. I'm pretty excited about it :D I can't wait to see the cover, it'll be awesome. Great review, Pili!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A duology?? I somehow was expecting a trilogy, but duologies are cool cause we get the whole story completed sooner!!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed it for the most part and am looking forward to the sequel too. I think the 2nd book might be even better than the first. Great review Pili!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm pretty sure the second book will bring everything together and we'll love it! Thanks Kristen!

      Delete
  3. Great review Pili. <3 I'm glad you enjoyed this book; but sorry you didn't love it :) But aw. I adored Tristam, hih :) I cannot wait for the sequel. <3 I didn't fully love this either, but I did mostly enjoy it :D Thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we do agree on our liking of this book and Tristam, Carina!
      Thanks sweetie!

      Delete
  4. Great review, Pili! I'm glad you ended up like this one--even though I had issues, I definitely saw potential, and now I can just keep an eye out for your review next year, LOL. Yeah . . . LAZY<-----that's me ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica! Given that is only a duology I really do hope the next book will give me all the answers I'm hoping to get!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!