Friday, August 29, 2014

Friday Reads: Mini Review of Summerfall by Claire Legrand!!

Hello guys! Happy Friday and welcome to another edition of Friday Reads!

This week I'm failing a bit at reading, but since I've only had one day and a half off and I had to get ready an order of cupcakes, I feel like I can be dispensed... I am trying to catch up now, and hopefully during the weekend!

I'm starting with a mini review for a prequel novella that I adored and really made me look forward to the full lenght book!



Summerfall: A Winterspell NovellaSummerfall: A Winterspell Novella by Claire Legrand

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


When I first heard of this prequel novella for Winterspell, I preordered it as soon as it was up for it on Amazon. Then I got approved via Edelweiss for Winterspell and I kept wondering if I should read it or wait for the novella, and in the decided to wait. And it turns out it was the right choice!

Summerfall is a prequel and as such we are introduced to the world of Cane and to characters that won't probably be in Winterspell, but we are given and insight into the events that shaped what will be going on in the book and we are introduced both to the world of Cane and to Claire Legrand's quite beautiful writing!

Summerfall is the story of Rinka, a naive and sheltered faery that has a fascination for humans in a world were the relationships between both races are not at the best of times. She believes in understanding and getting to know each other to destroy prejudice and restore peace. She finds her chance to meet with the humans and try to work towards peace and soon realizes things are not that easy and soon her life and probably the entire realm's change.

Rinka is a wonderful character that starts as really naive but soon learns that she's way in over her head, but I loved that she never backed down, she took challenges on ahead and wanted to work for peace, even when the road was tough. That she might just loose her head for love and risked everything might seem silly, but it could be seen as another way to show that peace between the two races was possible, if love could be found.

The treachery of power and politics taking advantage of the differences between people and the fear that can generate is nothing now, and seeing it at play in Cane is a dire reminder we'd all do well in taking to heart. Facing the consequences of our choices and not shruging away from responsabilities are also themes explored in this novella.

Quite some strong themes, a good foundation to the world of Cane, well developed characters and a really swoony romance all mixed up make this novella a must read! Now I cannot wait to read Winterspell! Well deserved 4 stars!



View all my reviews

8 comments:

  1. Teehee! I hated the full-length novel, as you know, so I'm going nowhere near the novella. Glad you loved it and are excited to read the standalone novel! Hopefully you enjoy it more than I did :D

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know girl, and I'm sorry you had such a bad time with Winterspell! I do hope I'll have better luck!

      Delete
  2. Awww, sounds like it's quite well developed in the novella length and the faery sounds like it's a coming of age story. Great review Pili! as always :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeann! It really was a great novella, it really felt like a very complete story!

      Delete
  3. Great review Pili. <3 I'm glad you enjoyed this one :D I will be reading it today, I think, and I cannot wait. <3 As I loooooved Winterspell, hih :D I hope you will too. Thank you for sharing sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I cannot wait to hear what you think of this one sweetie!
      I hope I'll get to read Winterspell soon!

      Delete
  4. I like the sound of well developed characters and a great romance. :) I'm not sure if I'll read this (I prefer to read novellas for books I've already read and liked, but even then I don't read them very often). I really want to read Winterspell sometime, though! Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think novellas can be a great way to check a new series or author without spending as much money as on a full book before commiting!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!