Friday, August 15, 2014

Friday Reads: On The Fence by Kasie West!!

Hello everyone! Happy Friday!

Today is India's Independence Day and for no related reason it is also a holiday in Spain (mostly a religiously related one). I do have to work and morning shift at that, but at least I won't be getting more slips for parcels to be picked up on the PO! One week I'm not around in the mornings, and I get all the parcels!!

The first book for this week's Friday Reads is one I knew I had to read not only because of the many positive reviews from all my bloggy friends but also because all the books I've read written by the author, I've really liked or loved!



On the FenceOn the Fence by Kasie West

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This is the fourth book by Kasie West I've read and loved, so I guess that I must add her to the auto-buy list already!

On The Fence is the story of Charlie and her journey of self-discovery, with quite a few swoony moments as she discovers she doesn't feel as sisterly towards the guy she had considered as one of her brothers since childhood.

Charlie has been raised by her father with her older 3 brothers since her mother died, and she's always been one of the guys and considered herself too much of a tomboy to get the guys to see her as anything else but one of them. That had never concerned her too much, but she's been wondering a bit more as of late. And everything changes even more after her dad decides that she needs to get a job to pay for a speeding ticket.

She finds a job at a quirky boutique and discovers she needs to change her way of dressing and as a way to win some extra cash, she also sits as make up model. And all of a sudden she has these two different lives that she doesn't want to mix up, and she finds that some of the girly things that she's discovering aren't as bad as she had dismissed them at first.

Charlie was a very interesting character and she did a lot of growing up and development in the duration of the book, and even though on occasion I wasn't exactly her biggest fan she did grow on me and I was quite clearly rooting for her well by the second half of the book. She might have been a bit callous and not very thoughtful on occasion, and some of her choices were not the wisest, but she was never scared to own up to her mistakes and deal with the consequences.

Charlie's dad and brothers were quite a riot, and they clearly loved Charlie very much. I loved how important the family was in the book, and none of the families had to be the perfect typical family, but felt very realistic and Charlie's family was not very typical, with just his dad to raise them all, and even more with the rather tough happenings from the past, those that Charlie will have to deal with during the book.

Charlie finds a job, makes some new friends and tries being a different person and while doing so she realizes, it's not that she's being someone that is not herself, it's that she's finding there are more sides to herself that she even knew before. She even starts dating even as she realizes that she might be feeling more for Branden, something that gets bigger and bigger as they both share confidences and fears at night at their yard fences.

Their relationship truly develops by the end of the book and although all the set up till there was a joy to read and quite necessary for the progression of the plot and characters. I wish there would have been more Branden and Charlie! This was a perfect summer read, fast and feel good kind of book, and I cannot wait to see what Kasie West has in store for us next! 4 well deserved stars!



View all my reviews

8 comments:

  1. WOOHOO! So glad you loved this one as well, Pili! I also wanted more "alone time" with Braden and Charlie... mostly Braden... but I'm really happy with this book :D My first (of three) Kasie West reads!

    Excellent review, Pili!!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alyssa!
      I cannot wait for you to read The Distance Between Us!

      Delete
  2. I have yet to read a book by Kasie West, but I have got The Distance Between Us on my kindle! :)


    I love the sound of this one! I hate books that make out that the changes in a character a due to everyone else and not because they are finding themselves. Most of the time it is that and it is so much more healthier to tell people that!

    Thanks for sharing lovely! Great review! :)

    Alex @ The Shelf Diaries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also started with The Distance Between Us, Alex! And you really need to read Pivot Point & Split Second!
      Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Aw, yay. <3 I'm glad you enjoyed this book sweetie :) Amazing review. But aw. You wanted more of the couple? Hmph. I need more romance, hah. But happy you liked this book :) Soon I will love this genre. Hopefully :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to see more of them after they got together! Thank you sweetie!

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you liked this one! I loved it as well.
    I don't know if you have read The Distance Between Us, but if you haven't, I hope you do it someday, it's amazing!
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read Distance and although I loved the chemistry of Xander and Caymen, the whole final family twist thing at the end didn't sit too well with me, felt a bit unnecessary drama added!
      Thank you, Lis!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!