Monday, August 18, 2014

Mark This Book Monday: ARC Review of Deliverance by C.J. Redwine!!!

As the last entry for this week's Mark This Book Monday I have one of my most awaited books of the year! I was extremely happy and grateful when I was approved for it on Edelweiss by Harper Teen, since I rarely get approved by them!

This one counts for two of my challenges, the 2014 Book Blogger Summer Reading Program and the 2014 Review Pile Reading Challenge!







Deliverance (Defiance, #3)Deliverance by C.J. Redwine

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


This was a brilliant ending to a fantastic trilogy, but I don't think I'm ready to say goodbye to Rachel and Logan and Willow and Quinn... *clutches book*

I was beyond happy and honoured when I was finally approved for an eARC of this one Edelweiss by Harper Teen and I'm grateful, since they very rarely approve my requests!

As the final book of the series, there might be some spoilers for the previous books, so please be aware of that. I will be keeping my review as spoiler free as possible so it will be a bit vague.

After the nonstop action and heartbreak of Deception, I was kind of scared of reading Deliverance, even more after the very cruel cliffhanger ending! But I was quite reassured since C.J. had assured me on Twitter that Deliverance would compensate us from all that suffering!

Rachel and Logan are now separated and in extremely tough situations both of them and both have only themselves to rely on, Rachel because she's in enemy's hands and Logan cause despite it all, he's the leader and the man with the ideas & plans. Both are en route to Rowansmark, Rachel being dragged there as prisoner and Logan trying to rescue her.

Both Rachel and Logan are amazing characters, and they've both had such a wonderful character development throughout the whole trilogy and even if Logan's has been fantastic, I think Rachel's the most amazing of them both. She started as a headstrong and reckless girl that gets broken and is left as a mere shadow of what she was only filled with pain and revenge, but she continues to go on, to try her best and ends up facing her demons and finding the hope of healing.

I loved how Logan always respects Rachel and even though he wants to protect her, she never underestimates her and never tries to stop her from being the fighter she is at heart. And Rachel IS a fighter but she also learns that she can rely on her friends for whatever kind of support she might need, and learns to keep hope. She can rescue herself and she doesn't expect others to do so for her, but she keeps the hope of Logan coming for her and she plans to help once he does.

What I also appreciated very much was how well crafted the villains of the series are. Not only there are evil and repulsing ones but strangely enough we end up feeling for one them, unexpectedly understanding his hate and misguided actions, and in the end feel really bad for him and his fate!

The rest of the secondary characters feel very much alive, from Quinn and Willow to the many new characters that we meet in this book (and some of them are little easter eggs by name for anyone that follows C.J. on Twitter and knows of her fellow writer friends).

This was a brilliant final book for this very amazing part dystopian part fantasy series, one that I plan to re-read for sure, while I wait for the next book from C.J. Redwine, that has become one of my auto-buy authors! Very well deserved 5 stars for this one!



View all my reviews

16 comments:

  1. Villains, like the protagonists, can make or break a book for me Pili, and I completely agree, the villains in this book are amazing. The best kind are the ones that not only have you wanting to rant and rave at them, but also make you see where they're coming from as much as you might not want to. I've been a big fan of this series all along, I can't wait to pick this one up for myself! Fantastic review:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot wait for you to read this one, Jenny! When you end up feeling bad for one of the villains, you know the author is doing something right! ;)

      Delete
  2. I haven't started this series yet, but I have the first one on my shelf. Ive been meaning to read for ages as I see the next books coming out. It sounds like a amazing series, and Rachel, Logan, Willow and Quinn seem like great characters to connect with. I'm so pleased it ended so well for you. Greag review Pili. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Emma!
      It is a fantastic series, with a great character development and great relationships! I do hope you'll start it soon!

      Delete
  3. I read another review for this book earlier this morning, and it was only 3 stars, so I rather enjoyed checking out your vastly different perspective. I recently listened to my FIRST dystopian YA, and I loved it, so I'll be adding these to my TBR pile ASAP because well, awesome secondary characters, and nonstop action is a win/win for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Different people have different opinions and I like reading why people feel like they liked or not a book, because sometimes what they like I wouldn't like, and what they disliked, I might not mind at all!
      Thank you Carmel, I do hope you check out this series!

      Delete
  4. Awwww, I'm so happy you were approved, Pili! *hugs* Seriously that's amazing :) I know what it feels like to be approved for a book YOU ARE JUST ABSOLUTELY LOOKING FORWARD TO. I can't wait to try this series again :D I ahd to DNF the first book but looks like I need to push through it!


    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY Faye!! Oh yeah, it was so awesome to be approved for this one!
      And I really hope you give the first book a second chance, I love the whole series so much!

      Delete
  5. YAY five stars! I love Logan and Rachel's relationship. Personally, I like protectiveness :D

    Excellent review, Pili!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like protectiveness, but when it's not treating the girl like she can't handle things or would break. I can understand the need of protecting those you love but not by making them feel useless! ;)
      Thank you, Alyssa!

      Delete
  6. Amazing review Pili. <3 I'm so glad you loved this book so much :D I must re-read book one soon. I must. So that I can finally read book two and this one :) Thank you for sharing your awesome review. <3 I hope I will love these books as much as you did :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes sweetie!! You do need to read this review and I do hope you'll love them as much as I did!
      And no love triangle at all! ;)

      Delete
  7. Would you believe I haven't read or even started this series, Pili? It's been on my shelf for ages, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. A 5-star review from you is pretty darn convincing though! I'll definitely have to try it now! Lovely review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since it's already on your shelf Melissa, I do highly recommend you read it, and soon! It's such a great series!

      Delete
  8. I just started reading Defiance a few days ago. I can't give it all of my attention (b/c ARCs), but I am enjoying it. I figured it was time now that the last book is coming out ;) Glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, glad to hear you have started Defiance! I hope you can make a dent on your ARCs and read it soon!
      I'm a huge lover of this series!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!