Friday, January 24, 2014

Friday Reads: ARC Review of Perfect Lies by Kiersten White!

For this week's Friday Reads I'm having an ARC review, and a bit of an surprise when I was approved for it on NetGalley!

It is also yet another book part of my Review Pile Reading Challenge! I think from all the challenges for this year, this is the one I'm doing better at so far!





Perfect Lies (Mind Games, #2)Perfect Lies by Kiersten White

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


When I finished (and loved) Mind Games last year, I just couldn't wait till Perfect Lies came out, and any of you that might have read it will understand what I mean about that ending!

So when I got approved for Perfect Lies on NetGalley by Harper Collins UK, I was so excited!

Mind Games and Perfect Lies are written in a very different way from most books. With alternating dual POV's from Annie and Fia and different countdowns from each POV to an unknown event, it is both compelling and confusing, intriguing and unsettling.

I spent the first half of the book confused but that was really nothing new, it's always hard to figure where the story is going at first with the way the story is told, and you are kept guessing about what the countdown will lead to.

Fia and Annie both are trying to find their path and to protect each other. There's a lot of uncertainity about who each one of the girls can trust, and Fia starts doubting even her perfect instincts or wrong and right. Annie is more confused than ever without Fia and she starts trying to become her own person and stop complaining about feeling dependent on others and weak and start working on learning to use her gift and stand on her own two feet.

Allies and foes keep getting mixed up, and nothing is clear until the very final part of the book, and even then you wonder if the vision will come to pass and what version of it will be.

The ending was quite unexpected and at the same time satisfying, even if I might have hoped for a little bit more happiness for Fia, but she got right and hope, and that's more than she was hoping for.

All in all, despite my initial confusion a 3.5 to 4 stars fitting ending for a very different duology!




View all my reviews

17 comments:

  1. The way it's written was definitely confusing for me until I got into it, then it's much easier, and kind of adds to the 'off' atmosphere, too. I liked this one so much better than Mind Games though, Fia's more...not stable, but stronger. I couldn't stand Annie through Mind Games and most of Perfect Lies just because of the fact they supposedly would do anything for each other yet Fia was the one constantly sacrificing herself, but finally, Annie kind of redeemed herself. I still not sure whether I like her or not as a character, but she's on her way. Glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kirsty! I agree that Annie was a bit of a hard character to root for, since she's a bit too helpless and too naive for too long! But in this book I really grew to like her more.

      Delete
  2. I am reading this soon. I looooved the first book!

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a while to get used to the way the story is told but I loved this one too!

      Delete
  3. I never read the first book in this series mostly bc the reviews were fairly negative, BUT I am still curious about it. I like the whole multiple POVs and a countdown thing. Confusing, too, but sometimes that's a good thing. Glad the sequel was pretty good as well I'll be able to read both back to back, now! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These books are surely not for everyone, but I still recommend giving them a try! And reading them back to back is a great idea cause you don't have to adapt to the different type of writing and storytelling twice, and you'll enjoy them more!

      Delete
  4. Glad you're saying you spent the first half confused because I just started Perfect Lies and I am SO confused. I forgot most of the details of Mind Games and I don't have time to re-read it...
    Thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Jen! I was wondering "was I as confused reading Mind Games as I'm now?" but yeah, everything starts making sense soon, I promise!

      Delete
  5. Yay, glad to hear this turned out great Pili! Glad it was a worthy sequel to the first. I'll have to pick it up soon as I've got a review copy of this as well! Haven't read the first one though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd recommend reading one right after the other, the style is quite unique and it takes a lil while to adapt to it, so reading both together will save you time that way!

      Delete
  6. So happy you enjoy this series! I've seen some mixed reviews but overall positive for this installment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I can understand why they might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I've really liked them!

      Delete
  7. Thank you, Aman! I'm feeling quite keen on duologies as of late, not as long a wait, and still more than just one book if you like/love the series/world!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really need to read Mind Games. And interesting to hear it is just going to be two books. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! Let me know what you think if you read them!

      Delete
  9. AHH! I LOVED THIS ONE TOOOOOOOOO. <3

    ReplyDelete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!