Monday, November 24, 2014

Mark This Book Monday: Jackaby by William Ritter!!

Still playing catch up with all my pending reviews, today I have for the final Mark This Book Monday entry of this week one of those books that I was very excited for, given their premise and description, and that even if it wasn't mind blowing, it was still quite a lot of fun and a good read.


JackabyJackaby by William   Ritter

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I am a huge fan of both BBC Sherlock and the original Arthur Conan Doyle books, and I'm also a huge fan of Doctor Who (even if my love has been waned a lil bit as of late) so when a book was pitched as a mix of Doctor Who & Sherlock, I was quite excited to read it!

We meet Mr Jackaby through the eyes of our POV character Abigail Rook, a girl of a respectable family that decides she doesn't want to be all nice and proper and boring and goes away to take up on adventure and ends up on the other side of the Atlantic with a few coins in her pocket and her suitcase, and she finds herself with a job as assistant to Mr Jackaby.

The mix of Sherlock and Doctor Who is quite apparent in Jackaby's personality and job, being an extremely observant and logical deducting detective (very Sherlock-like) with his laboratory and books and the like but also being able to see the paranormal and believing in things that others don't see (which was much more Doctor-like). I'd say Jackaby's character reminded me a bit of the 11th Doctor quirkiness and silly aspect more than any other Doctor.

We have a murder mystery to solve that starts as one murder commited by a supernatural entity, that quickly escalate and then we discover it's more than we thought. I must say the mystery was quite interesting at first and even though I guessed who the killer was (due to my love for Agatha Christie books I think) what I didn't guess was WHAT the killer was.

It was quite a fast read, quirky and fun and interesting, and I hope that they will continue to make this a series so I can look forward to more Jackaby, Abigail, Douglas the Duck and the rest of the gang adventures! Well deserved 4 stars for this one!



View all my reviews

14 comments:

  1. Lots of peeps wanted to get their grabby hands on this title when I featured it on one of my New Releases posts a while back, but I had yet to read a review for it until I came across yours this morning. Sounds like another winner, plus I love the quirky & fun combo. Anything that's a totted as being blend of Sherlock and Doctor Who better be good!

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun but also it wasn't as good as the BBC Sherlock or the 10th Doctor seasons for me, but still, I really enjoyed it a lot!

      Delete
  2. This was one of my birthday books from Britter and I cannot wait to read it! I have to finish Princess of Thorns first and I want to read Ruin and Rising next ( my otjer birthday book), but after that. Whoo hoo. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY for birthday books! I hope you'll enjoy it and I do hope you'll love Ruin & Rising, because I adored that one!!

      Delete
  3. I have this one on my shelf Pili and I can't wait to read it! I'm not overly familiar with Doctor Who aside from seeing a preview on TV here and there, but I love Sherlock Holmes, so I think this will be a story that works for me! Can't wait to not only find out the who of the killer, but the what as well:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ain't Benedict Cumberbatch the most amazing Sherlock ever?? ;)
      And YES Jenny, not only the who the killer is but the what is also important! ;)

      Delete
  4. Yay! I really enjoyed this (as you know) and I did confirm with Will that there will be more! I think the next book will be even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited for more Jackaby books! YAY! And I agree Kristen, I think the next book will be even better!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a great book for fans of Sherlock and Doctor Who (both series I haven't gotten into, but I know people love). Oooh the detective seeing paranormal things would definitely add some interesting inclinations into solving a murder mystery! Great review Pili.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeann! It was quite interesting to have a detective that believed in what might not called "rational" indeed!

      Delete
  6. Murder mystery, ooo! I don't read nearly enough of those. Another blogger really enjoyed this one earlier in the year and I have my eye on this one now... excellent review, Pili!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alyssa! I love me some good "whodonit" and murder mysteries too!

      Delete
  7. Great review Pili. <3 I'm glad you enjoyed this book a lot :) Thank you for sharing about it. I still haven't bought it, because I don't yet watch any Sherlock, so not that interested in this book (A) But one day! One day I will watch it all and read it all. Maybe. Most likely. Anyway. You are awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Carina dear! I do hope you'll give both Sherlock and this book a chance at some point!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!