Monday, November 17, 2014

Mark This Book Monday: ARC Review of Top Ten Clues You're Clueless by Liz Czukas!!

Hey guys!

Since I do still have a bit of a backlog of books to be reviewed, I'm gonna be doing two reviews per day this week, and so for the second Mark This Book Monday of this week, I have an ARC review.

This was another of those approved ARC requests from Harper Teen on Edelweiss that do feel like a bit of a mirage, because I haven't been approved by them for any other of their books since. But, I got them and I'm very happy and thankful that I did! As an ARC it is also counted towards my 2014 Review Pile Reading Challenge!





Top Ten Clues You're CluelessTop Ten Clues You're Clueless by Liz Czukas

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I read and loved Ask Again Later, the first book by Liz Czukas, and even these are not my usual kind of books, I've found myself quite loving and enjoying both AAL and this one!

Chloe is the main character in this one, and she seems to be your rather nerdy and adorable but rather clueless and apparently friendless girl. She works part time at a grocery store and has a crush on a co-worker. She's diabetic (which was a nice inclusion, presented as normal but also shown as something to take seriously) and she has to work on Xmas Eve.

This is contemporary, and contemporary fluff at it, but I cannot help it, the way Liz writes her characters, I simply fly through the book, chuckling here and there and having a lovely break from whatever else is going on around. Even if this wasn't as full of banter and the relationships between the characters weren't as fantastic as they were in AAL, they were still very well done.

There's a lil bit of a mystery to solve, but the main focus is on Chloe and the relationship between her and her co-workers, before and after being accused of theft.

I think the setting and the time frame, just a few hours in a day, that made for a different enough read, it might have also made it a bit more on the light side of character development and that might have made it harder to connect and care for all the "younglings".

Still it was fun, adorable and heartwarming, and with the setting being Christmas Eve, it can also be considered a cute holiday read! Well deserved 3.5 stars for this one!



View all my reviews

12 comments:

  1. A book approval mirage. LOL! Sounds like Harper Teen keeps dangling their hook in front of you on NetGalley, only to pull it slightly beyond your reach when to attempt to take a nibble. Poor Pili! I'm always on board with a little heart warming fun, and I think the short time frame really brings something unique to the table.

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well, being international has some disadvantages and being rarely approved for ARCs is one of those!
      And yes, the setting and time frame was quite different!
      Thank you Carmel!

      Delete
  2. This sounds like exactly what I need right now Pili! I'm a little burnt out on dark and emotional, so I'm looking for light an fluffy. I just want to laugh and smile and have fun reading without worrying whether or not the next chapter is going put me through the emotional wringer:) Thanks for the recommendation my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is all fluffy and cuteness and nothing dark AT ALL!! Glad to have the right book up for you today, Jenny, sometimes the universe works that way! ;)

      Delete
  3. I don't read much contemporary, but when I do, I want it exactly like this, light and fluffy. I love books that make me happy, and this certainly seems to qualify. It sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Maja, this is one of those happy fluffy books!

      Delete
  4. Aw, I'm glad you enjoyed this book Pili :) Amazing review, as always. <3 I don't think this is a book for me, not at all, but I do think it seems kind of cute ;p

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh this sounds like the book I need to read right now.
    So glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another Czukas book that everyone seems to love but I have not attempted to read O_O I actually considered getting this one... but then didn't. A cute read is so great sometimes though! I'll look out for it in the future in the library! Fantastic review, Pili :)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do check it out, you know me with contemporaries, but these I really have enjoyed! The right kind of fluff!!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!