Friday, November 14, 2014

Friday Reads: Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch!!!

Hi there everyone!!

Happy Friday! I'm on one of my looong weeks of work at work, one where I don't have any days off, but I'm finding that I'm doing a rather good job and juggling blogging and work and keeping up with watching my shows and even getting some sleep... what I'm not doing? Baking or anything photography... I'll have to work on that next week!

For this week's Friday Reads I have one of the first books that I read when I came back from my vacation cause my SIGNED copy had arrived while I was off! A phenomenal debut and one that I'd highly recommend to anyone that loves fantasy!



Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Snow Like Ashes was one of those highly awaited debuts of the year for me and I had a few issues with my preorder for it, change of shipping dates for Amazon, etc... BUT then I saw that Books of Wonder would have signed copies, so I decided to spend a bit more on shipping and get myself a signed copy! Brilliant choice except cause it meant a longer wait to read it...

But once I got reading it, the wait didn't matter any more! It was one of those books that you can't really put down easily at all because you want to know more! We start the book right getting to know Meira and watching her struggles with what she want to be and what she wants to do and what is asked of her, so we don't know much of the world at first. But soon enough we get more information, and the world continues growing from the small and personal, to the big and world changing.

I felt like the mix between the character growth and making us care for their struggles and worries, the world building progression and the advancement of the plot was mixed and done very well. The world might not be as epic as in other fantasy worlds but it does give you enough to keep you looking forward to what might be there to come next.

On the romance front, it's there and there's even a dreaded love triangle, one where our girl Meira finds herself thrown head first and without consulting her. She has always felt something more than friendship from Mather, but since she's just a regular girl and he's the heir and king on exile, it's something impossible. And then comes Theron, and Meira finds herself in an unexpected situation with an unexpected ally. I was not annoyed by this triangle and even if I found myself siding with Theron, I still felt for Mather! Well played Sara Raasch, well played!

All this put together would sum up to a 4 star book for me, but I still haven't talked about out main character, our main girl, our Meira! Meira is what made me give this book 5 well deserved stars, because she is a flawed character, but she's also strong, sassy, sensible but stubborn and she won't let others make her choices for her without putting up a fight and making her own choices on how to react and how to shape her future. Simply put I.LOVE.MEIRA!!

And let's not forget to add a villanous villain, many political intrigues and ramifications, quite a few surprises and twists (even if I suspected some, that didn't detract from my enjoyment of the book) and an ending that without a horrible cliffhanger makes you want to get your hands on the next book NOW!!



View all my reviews

10 comments:

  1. I'm happy you loved this one :-) I thought it was very well done and I can't wait to see where the second book takes us. My only difference is that I'm team Mather :-P great review Pili!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We both agree on how awesome the book is and that's what matters! ;)

      Delete
  2. I LOVE MEIRA TOO PILI!!!! Wasn't she just amazing? I loved everything about her, she was my dream heroine:) And I may or may not have done a happy dance when I got to the end and found no cliffhanger waiting. SO GOOD!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was rooting from Meira like there was no tomorrow! It had been a while since I had loved a main character this much! And YES FOR NO CLIFFHANGEEEEER!!

      Delete
  3. Great review Pili. <3 I'm so glad you loved this book :D I.. will have issues with it :( issues with the triangle, issues with other things. Sigh. Just wishing I could love it too, lol :) but I will read it. Someday. I hope. <3 anyway. Thank you for sharing sweetie. <3 I hope you will love the sequel too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll give this one a chance... I know the love triangle would probably irritate you, but maybe not as much as you think!
      Thank you sweetie!

      Delete
  4. Yay, I'm so glad the wait was worth it and you really enjoyed it Pili! There seems to be a trend for love triangles that don't annoy us recently. I can't wait to pick this one up and to meet Meira, she sounds like such an awesome character. Lovely review Pili!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, seems that the dreaded trope can still be done okay now and then!
      And I do hope you get to meet and love Meira soon Jeann!

      Delete
  5. Five out of five stars! YAY! I'm so glad that you enjoyed this one as well. That's awesome that you loved the protagonist so much! And haha, I'm totally team Theron. THERON.

    Fabulous review, Pili!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One star is all for Meira!
      And yes THEROOOON!! ;)

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!