Monday, February 2, 2015

Mark This Book Monday: Lockwood & Company by Jonathan Stroud!!

Hello everyone!

I'm starting this week with a double feature for Mark This Book Monday, both books part of the same series, a book and a novella, one from my TBR pile and a novella I got approved for via NetGalley.

I had loved The Amulet of Samarkand series by Jonathan Stroud, so I was quite excited to finally start reading his new series, all about ghosts and spectres!



The Screaming Staircase (Lockwood & Co, #1)The Screaming Staircase by Jonathan Stroud

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


When I got approved for the sequel novella it finally pushed me to read this one, that had been on my TBR pile for a while.

I loved the setting and the world building in this book, starting with a middle point of sorts, because we get Lucy telling us about how her first cases with Lockwood & Co were a bit disastrous, and then she tells us about her life before she came to London and of her first day & interview at Lockwood & Co, which was a bit odd, but that provided ample occasion for us getting some knowledge of the world we're in, one where the dead are ever present and only the kids can see and fight them.

I felt it was oh so very typically English to call the overwhelming invasion of the spirits of the dead simply "the Problem", which to me sounds like you're talking about a creaking step on a staircase, and not something that can kill you and that changed the way society lived, with curfews and a different kind of child labor, so to speak.

We see Lucy meeting Lockwood and George, start working with them and getting the feeling that they're still getting the hang of working together, improvising and getting into as much trouble as they solve. And they stumble into a ghost, a murder mystery and the most haunted house of all of Britain.

I loved how there were hints all over the story and how everyone of the members of Lockwood & Co were important and had information the others didn't in solving the case(s), even if they learnt a tough lesson on team work and learning to trust each other.

This one was a fantastic and intriguing first book on a series that I want to continue reading and enjoying! Well deserved 4 stars to this one!





The Dagger in the Desk (Lockwood & Co., #1.5)The Dagger in the Desk by Jonathan Stroud

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I was approved on NetGalley for this one and it made me push the first book up on my TBR pile so I could read this bridge novella between book 1 and 2.

I really enjoyed this novella, even if it felt a bit short, mostly because I was enjoying it so much that I didn't want it to end so soon! The Dagger in the Desk starts right after book 1 and we see Luce, Lockwood and George recovering from their biggest case to date, enjoying the free publicity that came with it and enjoying having loads of cases thrust upon them.

Luce, Lockwood and George have learnt to trust each other and work together as a team properly, they have a friendly banter and tease each other, but they rely on each other's insticts and abilities.

This one was short and fun but I feel that it quite a few hints here and there for what's to come in the next book, with a certain artifact and how Lucy's abilities seem to be expanding. The case was interesting and fun and that was the reason it felt so short! We also get a glossary about ghosts and spectres at the end of the novella and they were illustrated, perfectly creepy and amazing!

Well deserved 3.5 stars to this novella!



View all my reviews

12 comments:

  1. I only have one psychic detective series under my belt, and although I enjoyed the premise, the author's writing style was a little too poetic for my tastes. Jonathan Stroud's sounds more to my liking, but I'll probably skip the novella because I don't usually read 'em to begin with, and you gave The Dagger in the Desk 3.5 stars which is not enough to break my 'no shorts' rule.

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give the first book a try! It's a lil MG/YA mix but it's super entertaining to read, Carmel!

      Delete
  2. I haven't read these but glad you are enjoying them!
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Stroud's Bartimaeus series! When I was younger though. I haven't really enjoyed Middle Grade since Percy Jackson and the Olympians. I'm glad you enjoyed this novel and novella! Excellent reviews :D

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe give this one a try! It doesn't read as straight MG and it was a lot of fun!

      Delete
  4. Yay :D Looks like two awesome books. <3 I don't think they would be for me, but I also think they look pretty awesome :D I'm glad you enjoyed them both sweetie. <3 I love your reviews. Thank you for sharing your thoughs Pili. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carina sweetie!! Your comments always make me smile!

      Delete
  5. I absolutely love the Lockwood and Co. series! It's one of those few MG books with a bit of horror in it that can actually drive the hair at the back of my neck to stand on end. Lovely review, Pili! So happy you loved them, too!

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye! It's totally your fault that I got to checking these out, so THANK YOU! ;)

      Delete
  6. You're going to shake your fist at me, but I own the Bartimaeus Sequence in its entirely, and have not even begun reading it. B/c . . . I don't know why. *shrugs* HOWEVER, you have put it back on my radar, b/c these books sound amazing, and how on earth could I justify getting MORE books by Stroud when I have yet to read the ones I already have? Can't do it. Not that that's ever made a difference before. *snickers* But I am trying to be better. Trying ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You MUST read the Bartimaeus Sequence Jessica! I love the humour in those books!! And of course you need to read those and these, so buy them and then read them ALL!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!