Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Tell Me Tuesdays #27!!


Tell Me Tuesdays is a meme/feature created by the awesome ladies of Please Feed The Bookworm and La La In The Library, where we can share how we choose the book we are currently reading from our TBR pile!

I'm always curious about that, cause as much as I tend to make myself a rough schedule for books to read and the like, I'm quite a mood reader and sometimes I just HAVE to ignore my schedule and read something else!








Black Dove, White Raven by Elizabeth Wein


A new historical thriller masterpiece from New York Times bestselling and award-winning author Elizabeth Wein

Emilia and Teo's lives changed in a fiery, terrifying instant when a bird strike brought down the plane their stunt pilot mothers were flying. Teo's mother died immediately, but Em's survived, determined to raise Teo according to his late mother's wishes-in a place where he won't be discriminated against because of the color of his skin. But in 1930s America, a white woman raising a black adoptive son alongside a white daughter is too often seen as a threat.

Seeking a home where her children won't be held back by ethnicity or gender, Rhoda brings Em and Teo to Ethiopia, and all three fall in love with the beautiful, peaceful country. But that peace is shattered by the threat of war with Italy, and teenage Em and Teo are drawn into the conflict. Will their devotion to their country, its culture and people, and each other be their downfall or their salvation?

In the tradition of her award-winning and bestselling Code Name Verity, Elizabeth Wein brings us another thrilling and deeply affecting novel that explores the bonds of friendship, the resilience of young pilots, and the strength of the human spirit




 Shadow Scale by Rachel Hartman

Seraphina took the literary world by storm with 8 starred reviews and numerous “Best of” lists. At last, her eagerly awaited sequel has arrived—and with it comes an epic battle between humans and dragons.

The kingdom of Goredd: a world where humans and dragons share life with an uneasy balance, and those few who are both human and dragon must hide the truth. Seraphina is one of these, part girl, part dragon, who is reluctantly drawn into the politics of her world. When war breaks out between the dragons and humans, she must travel the lands to find those like herself—for she has an inexplicable connection to all of them, and together they will be able to fight the dragons in powerful, magical ways.

As Seraphina gathers this motley crew, she is pursued by humans who want to stop her. But the most terrifying is another half dragon, who can creep into people’s minds and take them over. Until now, Seraphina has kept her mind safe from intruders, but that also means she’s held back her own gift. It is time to make a choice: Cling to the safety of her old life, or embrace a powerful new destiny? 




 Uprooted by Naomi Novik

 Naomi Novik, author of the bestselling and critically acclaimed Temeraire novels, introduces a bold new world rooted in folk stories and legends, as elemental as a Grimm fairy tale.

“Our Dragon doesn’t eat the girls he takes, no matter what stories they tell outside our valley. We hear them sometimes, from travelers passing through. They talk as though we were doing human sacrifice, and he were a real dragon. Of course that’s not true: he may be a wizard and immortal, but he’s still a man, and our fathers would band together and kill him if he wanted to eat one of us every ten years. He protects us against the Wood, and we’re grateful, but not that grateful.”

Agnieszka loves her valley home, her quiet village, the forests and the bright shining river. But the corrupted Wood stands on the border, full of malevolent power, and its shadow lies over her life.

Her people rely on the cold, driven wizard known only as the Dragon to keep its powers at bay. But he demands a terrible price for his help: one young woman handed over to serve him for ten years, a fate almost as terrible as falling to the Wood.

The next choosing is fast approaching, and Agnieszka is afraid. She knows—everyone knows—that the Dragon will take Kasia: beautiful, graceful, brave Kasia, all the things Agnieszka isn’t, and her dearest friend in the world. And there is no way to save her.

But Agnieszka fears the wrong things. For when the Dragon comes, it is not Kasia he will choose.



All these three are ARCs and I'm really enjoyed them all, though I haven't been making a lot of progress with them! Uprooted is a fantasy highly recommended by Jessica for Rabid Reads and she rarely leads me astray. Black Raven, White Dove is historical fiction with a different kind of narrative that I'm quite enjoying! And Shadow Scale is equally as gorgeous as Seraphina was, but I'm feeling like Phina is less in control that she was on the previous book and it's annoying me a lil how she fails to see some things coming!

  So what are you all guys reading and how and why did you decide to pick up that book? Shiny new ARC? Comfort read? Scheduled for review? Must have new release? Tell me!!

20 comments:

  1. I'm starting Shadow Scale next week Pili and I have to admit I'm a little nervous! Not only is it intimidatingly long, but now you're telling me Phina is being a bit dense. Boo. Hopefully things start to turn around a bit and this one ends up being as fantastic as Seraphina was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, it's understandable given the situation but I always have the hardest time when I see what's coming and characters don't! But I'm sure once this passes it'll be okay, Jenny!

      Delete
  2. I am reading Seraphina right now and as soon as I am finished I am going to start right in on Shadow Scale, so I can get it reviewed before the pub date. Do you know if this is a duology, or are there more books planned? I know there was quite a bit of time between these two books. Uprooted sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think it's an ongoing series, not just a duology, but I really do not know! How are you liking Seraphina?

      Delete
    2. It's definitely a duology.

      Delete
    3. Thank you for letting us know, Sally!

      Delete
  3. Oh what a fun feature this is Pili! I really like it! I am very interested in Wein's book because I've heard good things about her other. I am reading Salt & Stone and it was also an ARC. :) Happy Tuesday chica!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep an eye and see what you think of Salt & Stone! Thank you & happy Tuesday to you too Jessica!

      Delete
  4. WOOT for Uprooted!! And for Shadow Scale too. I need to read that like now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot wait to hear what you'll think of Shadow Scale, Jessica!

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous post Pili. <3 Yay for reading awesome books :D I hope you'll end up loving Shadow Scale. <3 I really loved it, hih :) And yay for Black Dove, White Raven :D I'll try it again sometime soon. (Tried starting it weeks ago, wasn't sure about the writing, so put it on hold :p) But I shall try again very soon. Anyway. Happy reading sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have these on hold now because I'm reading The Mime Order now! Thank you sweetie! I hope you'll go back to Black Dove, White Raven and love it!

      Delete
  6. So many! I hope you are enjoying all of them! I'll not be reading any of these, but that's okay. I can live vicariously through you :D

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can't always read the same books, right? But Uprooted might be up your alley, because it's very cool fantasy!!

      Delete
  7. Well, I bought Kiss of Deception on a whim, so definitely the mood striking there :P And Uprooted is awesome so far, but its being dense makes me want to take a break every now and then!!! After that, there's the French version of Blood Song by Anthony Ryan... just so I can brush up on my français :P

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, reading in French, you are awesome miss! ;)
      Kiss of Deception I think I'll be reading next month, as my Alyssa Recommends book!

      Delete
  8. I really want to want to read Black Dove, White Raven! I haven't read Code Name Verity but I've heard nothing but remarkable things about it. Also, yay for Shadow Scale! I got the ARC for that a while ago but haven't started it yet. The size is kind of intimidating =P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the good thing about the eARC, you don't really see how big the books are! ;)

      Delete
  9. I reaaaally want to read the book by Elizabeth Wein! I read Code Name Verity and I LOOOVED it sooo much! *-*
    Unfortunately I wasn't approved for it on NetGalley, so.. yeah, I'll have to wait a month.. :'(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a bummer Frannie! I must confess I was extremely surprised when I got approved!!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!