Monday, February 16, 2015

Mark This Book Monday: ARC Review of The Winner's Crime by Marie Rutkoski!!!

Hello there!

Today we're starting the week with a new edition of Mark This Book Monday! And today I have one of the eARCs that I've been more excited to get approved for ever, mostly because I was really dying to get my hands on this book!! So thank you so much to Bloomsbury UK & NetGalley for approving my request!

I'm pretty sure I will be re-reading this one once I get my preorder of the hardcover in the mail because I feel that I like having my feelings tortured! And I cannot wait to hold this stunningly gorgeous cover in person!



The Winner's Crime (The Winner's Trilogy, #2)The Winner's Crime by Marie Rutkoski

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


The Winner's Curse was one of my favourite books of 2014 and getting approved for the eARC of The Winner's Crime on NG by Bloomsbury UK was the highlight of the end of 2014 for sure!

Everything that I had loved in The Winner's Curse, the historical fantasy, the politics, the plotting, the mysteries, the forbidden love... everything is in here but magnified! The court intrigues and plotting kept my heart pounding and every turn of the page was a source of anxiety for me!

I think the whole time I spent reading this book, my anxiety was flaring, my heart was pounding and breaking for Arin and Krestel! Their relationship is so full of difficulties from withing and from without... Not only theirs is a forbidden love because they're in opposite sides of a conflict and belong to different cultures, but they also are at a point where they can't talk to each other, so they keep second guessing and interpreting each others' actions or lack thereof.

Krestel is very talented at strategizing but she's rather out of her league when it comes to dealing with the Emperor because he's the master manipulator supreme! Whenever he appeared in the book my heart rate increased, because he is one seedy and scary character! Krestel does her best to stay ahead of the game but it's like trying to stay afloat in a tempest with no hope of rescue, you know that sooner or later you're gonna tire and go down. 

Arin is bitter and fighting and having the hardest time at dealing with his position, with having to deal with Krestel in the opposite sides that they're now and so ends up going on a journey to find a position of strenght for Herran.

The world gets bigger and we find out more about Herran, about Valoria and about a new place that we get to discover. Everything reminds me of empires of the Classical age, Romans, Greeks and now a new place that reminded me some of Egypt and some of Persia. I simply adore the world building in this book as I did with the one in book 1. It feels familiar enough to cultures familiar to us but at the same time they feel different enough to be part of a new world.

And of course, the writing... oh my goodness, the writing. Marie Rutkoski has the most gorgeous prose ever! With stunning prose, wonderful world building and plenty of heartache and pain, this book is the most excruciating and glorious painful experience ever! Very well deserved 5 stars! I can only hope that the next one will have more happiness or I might not survive reading it!



View all my reviews

36 comments:

  1. Yay :D Great review Pili. <3 I'm so glad you loved this book. I loved it too, so much. Sigh. It is just so gorgeous :) I cannot wait for the third one :D So excited. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about it. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweetie!! This was one evil and amazing book all in one, wasn't it? So excited for the final book!

      Delete
  2. I'm holding out on this one Pili even though I couldn't have loved The Winner's Curse more. I don't think I can deal with the heartache and pain of this one at the moment, at least not without the third book already in my hands with a (hopefully) happy ending waiting for me. I'm going to wait and read this and book 3 back to back. *fingers crossed that everything ends well for these two* Gorgeous review my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally understand that Jenny! I had a rather hard time myself, so much anxiety and heartache while reading the book! And damn, so long till book 3! I'm hoping that The Winner's Kiss will be their HEA!!

      Delete
  3. I can't wait to read this series. I think I'm starting them this week and after so many raving reviews about them including yours I really feel like a bit of fantasy and dystopia. Great review as always! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot wait to see what you think of the series so far Emma! Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Ahh, forbidden love :D I really liked this one as well! Now, the long year-wait for book three...

    Fabulous review, Pili!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wait is gonna be a killer, isn't it?? AAAAAHHH!
      Thank you, Alyssa!

      Delete
  5. Eeek I so need to read book 1! I know, right? What am I doing? haha! The hype had me a bit wary actually I often hate books that are so hyped bc my expectations are through the roof. I do want to read it though it sounds like the writing itself is something else, and the whole world sounds so well built and complex! Wonderful review, hun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES YOU DO!! I also had my doubts because I adored book one, but this one didn't disappoint at all!!
      Thank you!

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad that you loved this one! I'm not reading your review right now because I'm going to start it this week and want to go in without knowing anything. I hear the ending's a killer so we'll definitely have to discuss.
    -Jon from Bookish Antics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jon! I cannot wait to hear what you think about it and yes, be warned about a KILLER cliffhanger!!

      Delete
  7. I planned to read The Winner's Curse with the read-along happening this month but I ended up devouring it in 2 days lol! People weren't kidding when they talked about how amazing this series is! Now I'm dying to read this second book even though I'm a tinsy bit afraid of all the feels haha ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE WHAT YOU THINK EILEEN!! Be warned about the feels indeed!!

      Delete
  8. Heartache and pain? I usually stay away form those, LOL. But not always ;) I guess I just like those light, fluffy reads more. But every once in a while I'll find myself in need of something like this, so this series will probably be going on my to-read list when moments like that strike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an amazing series Lili, you need to read it!!

      Delete
  9. Receiving coveted ARCs makes being a book reviewer worth while. :) This sounds like a not-to-be-missed title to me! It's awesome that Marie Rutkoski's writing was the star of The Winner's Crime followed closely by the world-building, and of course the feels. The author couldn't possibly pour on the pain for two installments in a row, now could she!?

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm seriously hoping that book 3 will have less pain and more kisses, since it's called The Winner's Kiss??
      Thank you Carmel!!

      Delete
  10. I'm so glad you loved this, Pili! I don't think there's any way it couldn't have been wonderful, based on how good The inner's Curse was. I didn't even try to get an ARC, because I just want to read the hardcover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do plan to re-read the hardcover once my preorder arrives because it's so amazing! =D

      Delete
  11. This book truly brings out all the feels. I love how strategic Kestrel is!! She's definitely sharp. I felt so bad for her and Arin, I JUST WANT THEM TO BE TOGETHER. This book is so beautiful in both writing and story. I loved the world-building and new characters introduced. Lovely review hun <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW!!! I WANT THEM TOGETHER!! Thank you, Rachel!!

      Delete
  12. I thought this book was completely amazing. Perfection! That thing at the end was awful, but the next book is going to be fantastic. (Yes, only someone who has read the book will have any idea what I'm saying.)
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I 100% agree with you!! The book was so amazing and the ending so EVIL!!

      Delete
  13. Yes, the writing!! I don't think I noticed it much in the first book, but it was simply beautiful in this one. I'm so excited for the third book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so happy you liked this one Pili! Crime definitely made Curse seem like a walk in the park and I have no idea what i'm going to do inbetween now and the release day for the third book. MY HEART CAN'T TAKE THE WAIT!
    Lily @ Lilysbookblog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSSS!! And oh boy, the wait till Winner's Kiss is gonna be the worst kind of torture!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

      Delete
  15. I have an ARC of this but I still haven't gone past 20% yet, haha. I'm such a poor reviewer >_< In any case, I'm not too impressed by it yet because it felt too fixated on the "feelings", and I wanted more political intrigue, but a friend promised me it would eventually, so I can't wait to get to that one :D Esp. since later there would be so many swoon-worthy and awesome scenes! Your enthusiasm is contagious enough as it is! :D

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's loads of political intrigue in this one Faye! =D I hope you'll return to reading it soon!

      Delete
  16. YESSS I cannot wait to pick up this book, it sounds positively amazing and I can't wait to see how Kestral and Arin develop their relationship together. It sounds complex and I love the world building, a lot of it which was missing in the first book. Lovely review Pili!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeann! And yes, I cannot wait to hear what you'll think of this one once you read it!

      Delete
  17. That does it. I really, REALLY liked The Winner's Curse, but this book sounds too stressful. I'm going wait until book 3 comes out. Good on you though, LOL. I can handle the pain and agony, but I'd rather not until I know I'll get my resolution. What's one more year, right? *snorts*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say it sounds like a good plan because the wait for the third book is gonna be torture!!!

      Delete
  18. I actually own the Winner's Curse but haven't gotten round to reading it yet! I have the feeling that I will be dying to read this one as soon as I am done with it, and dreading the wait till the finale...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can resist the temptation to start the series till close to release of the final book next year... it might even be a good idea, because the ending of this one is A CRUEL AND EVIL CLIFFHANGER! You've been warned, Octavia!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!