Friday, February 6, 2015

Friday Reads: This Shattered World by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner!!!

Hello guys!

Friday is here! And although today it's once again not a typical Friday for me, well typical for me as a nurse, but not for the rest of people with more usual working times. I'm once again working this weekend and I'm hoping it will be decent working weekend and not one of those mad ones.

For this week's Friday Reads I have one of my most awaited books from last year, one that I didn't get until earlier this month because I preordered a signed (and personalized!) copy on Books of Wonder, but as soon as it arrived I dived right into it!



This Shattered World (Starbound, #2)This Shattered World by Amie Kaufman

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Last year I read and loved These Broken Stars and so I was extremely excited for the second book in this companion novels series. So as soon as I got my hands on my copy, and once I got back from work, reading started and I didn't stop till I finished, sleep be damned!

This Shattered World takes place in Avon, a planet that is still undergoing terraforming and development, that is behind on schedule and that has the very explosive combination of unhappy natives and an outpost of the military there to try and keep the peace.

Our characters, Jubilee Chase and Flynn Cormac, are in different sides of the conflict, with different opinions, motivations and goals in life. You could say that the only thing they have in common is being in the same bar, in the same planet, at the same time. Flynn is a pacifist part of a rebel group and Jubilee is known as "Stonefaced" Chase and has a reputation for being tough and quite simply kick arse!

Flynn is not a man of action but he ends up taking on Jubilee, kidnapping her and starting a load of trouble for them both. They start from opposite sides, and by spending time together, fighting, debating and lost in the wilderness, they find that they might understand each other more than they would have every expected. And they find themselves on the same side trying to stop a disaster of planetary dimensions.

Jubilee is a tough girl, a soldier that founds her purpose and a reason to go on after some tragedies in her past, and she's so dedicated, that she's got a reputation that precedes her and makes her the biggest target for the rebels. She made think of Zoe from Firefly and I was rooting for her and her kick arse self from page one! The banter with Flynn, that starts like flirting, changes to hostility and mistrust and ends up in understanding and something more was simply fantastic! I loved how their relationship progressed, with a slow burn and loads of chemistry all over!

I won't be saying all that much about the plot, or when & where do Lilac and Tarver come into this because it's a slippery slope with spoilers, but all I can say it's that we learn more about certain "others" that we already met and it makes me loath and fear even more Lilac's dad. And I'm even more worried about what will happen on book 3!

Another fantastic space opera that appeals to me in the same way that Star Wars and Firefly did, very much deserving of 4.5 stars!

I'm simply in love with all the Irish refences in the book when it comes to the rebels, the language, the legends, the independence fight, their underdogs feel... I'm a lover of all things Irish, so this one simply was a treat on itself.



View all my reviews

22 comments:

  1. LILAC'S DAD PILI!!! *shakes fist at him* I can't wait for him to get his comeuppance. Preferably sooner rather than later. I'm so glad you loved this one too, I just adored the slow burn of Lee and Flynn's relationship and the appearance of Tarver and Lilac just made me happy. I hope we get all four of them in the next book too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Jenny! I cannot wait for Lilac's dad to get his judgement day! I'm hoping for what he's done turning on him!
      And yes, I really hope that Tarver & Lilac and Lee and Flynn will team up and appear in the next book!! =D

      Delete
  2. I finished These Broken Stars about two weeks ago. I have mixed feelings but I'm still excited for this one! I can't wait to hate on Lilac's dad lol ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mixed feelings? =/ Cannot wait to read your thoughts, Eileen! And also, cannot wait for you to read this one!! =D

      Delete
  3. Yay :D I'm so happy you loved this book too Pili. <3 And so glad you loved the romance as well, hih :) I adored it so so much. <3 Thank you for sharing your awesome thoughts. <3 And aw, best of luck at job. <3 I hope it will go just fine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much sweetie! This was such an amazing book and romance! =D

      Delete
  4. I really enjoyed this one too! Amie and Megan are a great pair and really know how to write a fantastic series and characters. I can't wait to see what the next novel will be like. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristen! I'm SO SO excited to see who will be in the next book and where it will take place!!

      Delete
  5. I loved this book, too! I loved the Irish integration and the way the story unfolded. Great review!

    Kate @ Ex Libris


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kate! All the Irish bits here and there made me love this one so much!

      Delete
  6. Nothing beats a follow-up installment that ends up being as good, if not better than book 1. Amie Kaufman clearly hit a home run with This Shattered World! You're the first reviewer that I've seen who's compared this book to Star Wars and Firefly; had this been the case from the get-to I would have been rushing out to snatch it up on release day.

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This series as a whole does have a feel of amazing space opera just like Star Wars and Firefly! =D And Lee is very much like Zoe! ;)

      Delete
  7. I really loved These Broken Stars but This Shattered World just made me adore the whole series! I love the range and the spectrum of it all. how fun were Jubilee and Flynn!!? You review touch on all my missed points so i enjoy reading them!
    <3 Britt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *SQUISHES* This series keeps getting better and better so I cannot wait for the next book!

      Delete
  8. Space, you say? I'm gonna have to check out this series! It sounds like a lot of fun! I can't believe I didn't have it in my to-read list!

    P.S. Tag, you're it! I tagged you in a book tag! Feel free to do it as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Lili, space opera, awesome romance!! You need to read this one!!
      I'm checking the tag right away!

      Delete
  9. I had to scan this one b/c I actually intend to read book 1 at some point in the near future. Instead of . . . you know . . . just glowering at it occasionally (trying to will it into submission) like all the other books I say I'll get to at some point, LOL. BUT if it was with the eventually-I-hope books, you totally would have won me over with the Firefly comparison and the love of Irish things. Great review, Pili!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! You must read them soon! But I know what you mean about the books you intend to read soon Jessica... and keep giving you the side eye as they continue to be in the TBR pile!

      Delete
  10. Geeze, I have the first book on my Kindle. I think I got it for 99¢ on a Daily Deal right after Christmas. I must find the time to read it! It is so difficult because this seems to be the year I have a ton of sequels coming out to read. Starting any new series is almost out of the question until summer; I think. I know you don't give out many five star ratings, so I know I need to do this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU MUST READ THESE! I simply looove them! =D Thank you La!

      Delete
  11. YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE! I'm so glad you enjoyed this one, Pili! I can't wait to read Their Fractured Light! I wanna see who will be featured! :D

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so so so excited about the next book!! *FLAILS* I'm in love with this whole series!! =D

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!