Saturday, February 14, 2015

Saturday Pages: ARC Review of Collide by Melissa West!

Hiya there guys!

Having the weekend off is quite cool for once! But since it's V-day I'm gonna do my best to avoid the tv ads, specials and all the overload of it to see if I can avoid my brain being an arse to me. My plans are reading, reading and more reading! And watching some Outlander because Jamie!

For this week's Saturday Pages I have an eARC that I was approved through NetGalley (thank you Entangled Teen!!) and that made me finally get back to the series and read the middle book that had been in my TBR pile for months!

As an ARC it's counting towards my reviews category for my 105 Challenge!





Collide (The Taking, #3)Collide by Melissa  West

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I got approved for Collide on NetGalley (thank you Entangled Teen!) so it was the push I needed to finally read Hover and I was quite glad to do so because the ending of Hover was a cliffhanger of the evil category!

Collide starts back on Earth, shortly after the ending of Hover, with Ari betrayed, injured and completely confused and out of the loop, worried sick about Jackson. This Ari is back to the act before you think that she was in Hover, but I could understand that given the shock of finding herself in hostile territory instead of returning home as she hoped.

It was clear that there was something going on that no one knew about, some plot that Ari and the rest failed to see because they were so focused on preparing to fight Zeus. It wasn't exactly unexpected for me, but I also failed to understand the motivation behind the conspiration, since it was never really explained better than your typical bid for power and control.

My favourite part of the book has to be Ari & Jackson's relationship, once Ari finally stopped throwing herself at everything and anything head first! Her character growth in this one was very much welcome, because she started realizing her strenghts, starting allowing others to help her and she finally allowed Jackson to support her and herself to be weak at times. They made a simply amazing team!

The final part of the book was a bit crazy with all the betrayals, mental manipulations, deaths and loss. The pacing was insanely fast but I was rather taken aback with one last minute introduction/twist that was resolved too easily so I'm not sure what the point of that was...

We get a very nice epilogue at the end that closes everything rather nicely and allows us to see a hopeful future and gives us closure in a better way than the ending per se did. Once again 3 stars for this final book.





View all my reviews

14 comments:

  1. I downloaded the first book in my kindle the other day because it was free, I been wanting to read it for a while now too. It seems that this one was an emotional roller coaster. I can't wait to read this series now. Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, well, you finished the series, that's awesome! 3 stars is a bit low for what I'd want in a series conclusion novel. But I'm glad you enjoyed the book overall!

    Fantastic review, Pili!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole series was a 3 stars overall, I wanted to know what happened and now I know, so that's something!

      Delete
  3. Good to hear that Ari finally grows out of her immaturity here! I read your review of the second book and that Ari was such a reckless girl there O_O But like Alyssa, 3 stars is a bit too low for me to consider this series agian, esp. since I wasn't that hot on the first book anyway. In any case, woohoo for another series crossed off your list!

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, if you didn't feel too keen on continuing the series after the first book, better skip it!

      Delete
  4. I've heard so many great reviews for this book and I have the first two on my kindle so I think I will definitely try and get into this series soon. It horrible when the series rushes to a conclusion though, sorry it was a little of a disappointment for you though Pili! Great honest review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emma! I do hope you'll enjoy it loads!

      Delete
  5. Aw, I hope you are having a great weekend Pili. <3 And reading lots of awesome books :D But aw, I'm sorry you had issues with this book :\ I.. have not read any of the books yet :p but I'm owning them all :) Well, waiting for this paperback to finally be ready to ship. Hmph. But yeah. It sounds a bit annoying. Sigh :\ but glad you ended up liking the romance :) Thank you for sharing sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could have been better but I guess it could also have been worse!
      I do hope you'll enjoy the series more than I did!

      Delete
  6. Well I'm glad that while the ending wasn't that great, the Epilogue gave you the closure you wanted! Sometimes I'm not a big fan of Epilogues, but sometimes they can actually be pretty great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, epilogues can be tricky, sometimes they're awesome, sometimes they feel unnecessary, but this one was good!

      Delete
  7. I had no idea this was a sequel until I started reading your review. I haven't read the first book, so I decided to skim through the review. It sounds like it was a good story, but could've been better. Glad you got a chance to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chanpreet! It actually is the last book in a trilogy!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!