Friday, July 24, 2015

Friday Reads: ARC Review of The Veil by Chloe Neill!!

Hey there guys!

Happy Friday! I'm trying to clear up my review pile a lil before jumping head first into ARC August!
The book for this week's Friday Reads is an ARC that I was approved for by Penguin on NetGalley! I cannot say thank you enough to the Penguin guys for being so kind to approve me so often over there!

It counts towards my 105 challenge since it is a 2015 release (an August 4th to be more precise!).




The Veil (Devil's Isle, #1)The Veil by Chloe Neill

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I'm a huge fan of Chloe Neill's other UF series, the Chicagoland Vampires series, and I was quite intrigued about this one.

I'm happy to report this is another UF series I will be faithfully following now. It has the trademarks of Chloe's writing without feeling like a rehash of Chicagoland.

The setting is New Orleans after a war with the paranormals in which the Veil that separates their world from ours was torn. Claire lives in a recovering from war NOLA, where magic is outlawed and paranormals are kept in a special prison. Times are tough and she runs an antiques + survival shop she inherited from her dad.

Claire is a wonderful character. She had plenty to be afraid of and she had a secret she kept from everyone in her life, but even fear of discovery and punishment wouldn't stop her from trying to help and do what's right. And even when her life threatens to change too much too fast she doesn't shrink back from what she can do to help. Not even what she would prefer to do is hide her head in the sand and pretend nothing happened. She's resilient, strong and a bit of firecracker, but not overly impulsive.

Liam is a bounty hunter with alpha tendencies but that doesn't really go to the "so alpha he ends up being an arsehole" side, which is always a relief. He's got his own issues and secrets but he's willing to help Claire be safe and also make her understand that there's more to the paranormals and the war that is public knowledge. I love that he wants to help her but doesn't treat her like a breakable thing but acknowlegdes who she is and what she can do.

The pacing was a bit slow through the first half or maybe a lil more of the book because there was some real basic world building to do and characters to stablish, but once the action started to pick up and the game started to be revealed... I couldn't turn the pages fast enough!

There's romance here but it's more on the attraction and the "should we should we not act on it", and "with the state of things and what can happen to you, maybe it's better if we keep our distance for reasons", but I cannot wait to see how these two deal with their attraction as the series progresses! They can make a great team.

Thankfully there's no real cliffhanger on this one, the first chapter of the larger story ends neatly although we know there's more coming and we are left really looking forward to see what's next for the gang!

3.5 well deserved stars on the higher side of the 3.5!



View all my reviews

16 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more Pili! I definitely struggled a touch in the first half since there was a lot of information and world-building thrown our way, but the pages flew by in the end and I was suddenly done before I was ready to let these two go! So looking forward to book 2:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep!! Really looking forward to book 2 and more Claire and Liam!! ;)

      Delete
  2. This book sounds so good! I have never read a Chloe Neill book before, but it seems like I'm missing out. I love books that are set in NOLA, because is the most beautiful city I have ever been to. Thanks for sharing your opinion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting! If you like paranormal and urban fantasy, you need to give Chloe Neill a try for sure!!

      Delete
  3. Ohh yay! Glas to hear you enjoyed this one!! You touched on some awesome key points that I love in my books. This one of coming up in my arc August and I was pretty unsure of it but now I feel much better! Great review love!
    ❤️Britt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! So glad to hear my review helped! I hope you'll enjoy this one, Britt!

      Delete
  4. I like the sound of Claire's strong character and how fiesty she is. She isn't afraid to do what's needed which is great. And I always appreciate an alpha who doesn't get on the asshole side lol. Great review Pili!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I like when alphas do go into the alphasshole side! ;)
      Thank you Jeann!

      Delete
  5. I need to try something by this author! I've been hit or miss with adult urban fantasy, so I've been very picky as of late. I love that there is no cliffhanger! Hopefully the attraction turns into some serious chemistry/tension and things boil over in the next book ;D Excellent review, Pili!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too, because these two make a great team! ;)

      Delete
  6. Awesome review Pili :D Yay for enjoying this book so much! It sounds pretty awesome :) But not for me. And aw, I don't like what you say about the romance :p Sounds like too little of it, lol :D But yay for liking the characters. I hope you'll love book two too :) Thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweetie! I really don't mind when relationships in a series build up over a few books, I like the slow burn!

      Delete
  7. Great review!!! :) I'm actually not familiar with her work, but you've made me curious. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! Best compliment ever! Thank you! =D

      Delete
  8. I have never heard of this book before but it really does sound like a wonderful read! I am glad you could like it so much! Claire sounds like a wonderful character.

    ReplyDelete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!