Monday, November 21, 2011

Mark This Book Monday: Labyrinth by Kate Mosse!!

Monday is here, and one of the joys of being a nurse working shifts is that sometimes Mondays are awesome days, cause they're your weekend! ;) So now, with a nice Latte Macchiato in my hand, I'm gonna share an awesome book with you all for this week's Mark This Book Monday: Labyrinth by Kate Mosse.


I got Labyrinth at Heathrows airport in one of my first stops there when going to India to visit Gaurav, and if I remember correctly, it was in one of the stops coming back to Spain. There was this offer, about 3 books for £20 and I remember looking around to see what other books to grab, cause when I saw the cover of the book and read what it was about, I was sold! I wanted to take this book!






Back then, my reading obsession was about the Cathars and all the theories about what happened to them and their so-talked-about treasure after Pope Innocent III called for the Crusade to exterminate their heresy. When there's little information, many theories spring, and so many books and novels can be written.


This book tells us the story of two women separate by many hundreds of years, Alice in present time France, trying to figure out to make of what she's found in a toomb discovered during an archeological dig; and Alais, in thirteenth century France, entrusted with a secret to protect during the Cathar Crusade. We follow Alice looking for answers in the past, and Alais hiding and protecting a secret that is the secret of the Grail, and hiding and protecting herself, cause as a woman and herbalist, she's in danger of being accused of witchcraft, and that would put her mission at risk.


Even if you are not as obsessed with the Cathars and medieval times as I was back then, you'll love this book, cause the dual storytelling and unraveling of the story is great. Kate Mosse really does a great job at jumping from one story to the other, giving little hints from one to the other, and always keeping you on your toes. It's a book where the main character are women, and they are the ones standing their ground, looking for answers and doing the deeds, and I always love a good book where girls are not "fair maidens in distress"! ;) I'm afraid to tell more about the book, cause I might end up spoiling it for you guys, but it's the kinda book that made me want to pack and head to visit the Languedoc and South France! There is a passion about the places and the story that really resonated with me, and I think that will pull at anyone that'd read this book.



An historical novel, full of mystery, withs wrongs rigthed and a little bit of supernatural/pagan/Grail thrown in, with a dash of dangerous romance... sounds like something you'd love? Then go ahead as run to the nearest bookstore or add it to your Holidays gift list! I highly doubt it will fail to spellbound you! ;)

5 comments:

  1. This book sounds like something I would love!! I'll have to get it on audio, so I can listen to it while painting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh, you have piqued my interest with your write-up. i love these kinds of stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you guys feel like this is interesting enough to be read, my work is done!

    Deb, I adooore this book! This one and Montsegur are part of the reasons why I want my honeymoon to be around trip around Europe starting in Languedoc! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello there..

    you done fabulous work. i would love to see your work on personalized photo books.i am waiting for that..good luck.view more.

    thanks & keep sharing
    iron oxide powder

    ReplyDelete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!