Saturday, January 10, 2015

Saturday Pages: Tin Star by Cecil Castellucci!!

Hey guys!

Today for Saturday Pages I have a book that some of my blogging buddies have recommended more than once, so thank you Octavia from Read Sleep Repeat and La from La La In The Library! I really enjoyed this one and it helped get out of a reading slump!



Tin Star (Tin Star, #1)Tin Star by Cecil Castellucci

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Tin Star was exactly the kind of read that I needed to put me off my reading slump because it was a short read, even if it wasn't a very fast one, and it had a very intriguing premise.

Tula is our main character and she finds herself betrayed and left behind at a space station where humans are one of many species and one of the least appreciated out there. Humanity has got out there with this attitude of ours and has discovered that not only we aren't alone, but we're at the lowest level of the power totem.

Tin Star is the story of how Tula finds herself a place in a society where mistrust and disinterest for her and her species is ramptant, and manages to find a place for herself, so much that she ends up separating herself a bit from humanity.

Seeing Tula adapting to the life in the space station was slow but it was also very interesting to see how we can challenge all that we thought we knew as well as expanding our perspecttive, and that's one of the things I love most about science fiction!

Then we get a twist to the story with more humans coming and Tula realizing that her grievances are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to some people and that she needs to find a position of bigger strenght before she can try to fight them.

There was some romance but it wasn't really central to the story at all, even if at some point Tula loses a bit of perspective on what her plans were, but I cannot entirely blame her because she finds a connection she had never felt before.

I thoroughly enjoyed this one and I'm really looking forward to reading the sequel! Well deserved 4 stars.



View all my reviews

20 comments:

  1. I loved the premise of this book, but I had issues with the middle of the story being to slow because of extraneous things that, well, weren't really necessary for the storyline. I felt like they realized the book was too short and neede filler. I adored tbe story so much it killed me not being able to give it a five star rating, but the sequel, yes!! The sequel Stone in the Sky was perfect for me. and I was able to give it five stars with good conscience. I, as you know, am being very pouty pants about it only being a duology. I am so happy it snapped your reading slump and that you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot wait for the sequel now, La!! *makes grabby hands*

      Delete
  2. I didn't know about this book, but since I'm a huge fan of sci-fic I'll give this a try asap!
    Thanks for you review! I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll get to read it and love it soon Lis!

      Delete
  3. I'm so happy you enjoyed this one Pili! I was really impressed with the character development and writing. I can't wait to read the next book. Hopefully soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it was fantastic see how Tula changed and grew! Cannot wait for the sequel!

      Delete
  4. I'm really intrigued with these sort of alien segregation book, because you take away the different species and add a different colour, culture, religion or language and it's pretty much what happens with humans. Great review Pili, I hope you get out of your slump soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the sign of good science fiction, making you think about your problems by showing them to your from a different perspective!

      I feel like I'm safely out of it for now, I've been reading loads of review books as of late and I've rather loved them all, so hope it continues! Thank you Jeann!

      Delete
  5. Great review Pili. <3 Thank you for sharing about this book :) I'm not sure if it would be for me, but it do seem pretty interesting ;p I'm glad you enjoyed it so much :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The romance... I'm not sure if it'd be your thing sweetie, but it is a wonderful book otherwise!

      Delete
  6. I love books about adaptation and survival and finding ones place. I always feel so happy when they are FINALLY accepted :D Lovely review, Pili!!

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel! And in this one, not only she is struggling to be accepted by others, but she is struggling to accept herself as a human and that's quite some food for thought too!

      Delete
  7. Hmmm, personally, I'm a bit hesitant with this one - I remember seeing it months ago, and turning it down for review, because of some negative reviews I saw. I'm glad you loved it!

    Fantastic review!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be a bit slow, but I really enjoyed it!

      Delete
  8. Huh, I hadn't seen this one before but now that you mention it, I am intrigued. Glad you enjoyed it!

    -Mari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mari! It is a very cool book that I highly recommend if you like science fiction!

      Delete
  9. Ooohhh, Pili . . . I've wanted to read this one since it came out, but when several months passed, and I never managed to work it in, I decided to wait for the next book (b/c it's a duology, right?), and you just reminded me that that is going to happen soon :D :D :D Great review, and thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a duology, with a novella added too. Happy to help with a reminder, Jessica!

      Delete
  10. Glad it was able to pull you out of the reading slump! I am not someone who is into slow reads so the idea of her adjusting to the world and that part being slow is what makes this a miss for me. But some of the other aspects do look intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you don't think slow reads, this might not be for you Olivia, but it is a lovely book!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el dĂ­a!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!