Friday, January 30, 2015

Friday Reads: Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt!!

Hello there guys!

It's Friday and I have the day off and the weekend off!! *does happy dance*

To celebrate the long weekend off I'm having my review of Tuck Everlasting for Friday Reads, since I'm very happy to continue taking part of the Classic MG & YA challenge from The Midnight Garden ladies and their readalong and discussion!





Tuck EverlastingTuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I had not read or even heard of this book before it was chosen as part of The Midnight Garden's Classic MG & YA Challenge for January. After that I started seeing more about it everywhere given that its 40th anniversary was coming.

I had planned to start reading the book last night at work, but I ended reading it start to finish. It was a fast and endearing read, but also one with plenty of food for thought.

This is the story of Winnie Foster and the Tucks and the choice of what to do to defend what you think was right. And also what would your choice be if you had immortality within your grasp? We see almost everything develop from Winnie's POV, although we also get a few other POVs.

Winnie is an only child that feels smothered at her house and one morning decides to go on a small adventure that turns into the biggest adventure of her life. One that gets her to meet a most interesting family, the Tucks, and that makes her grow quite a bit in a lil over 24 hours, making her change her opinions about the world and what she thought she wanted.

I found really sweet how the Tucks dealt with their immortality, each one of them in a different way, but how none of them were turned into something different by greed or ambition, they remained essentially who they were, even if not all were unhappy about their unlimited time.

Winnie showed a certain amount of both childish choice and wisdom beyond her years. Her toad was her first friend outside the house, the one that made her take a step outside and into a larger world, and she wanted to make sure her friend was safe. That way she once again gave power to someone/something that was not likely to misuse it!

This is one of those books that can be read by children and adults alike, and that will provide food for thought for both and that can spark many interesting debates and conversations. Very well deserved 4 stars to this one!



View all my reviews

14 comments:

  1. Ahhh, I remember reading a review of this on another blog before! Rainy Day Reads or something like that, and she mentioned as well how this remains as one of her favorite books of all time, because for an MG book it really does make you think. I'd love to read this as soon as I get my hands on it!

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does have a lot of food for thought, Faye! I hope you'll check it out soon!

      Delete
  2. I haven't read that book in years, but I LOVE it! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I discovered it this time and loved it too!

      Delete
  3. I also enjoyed how each of the Tuck's had a different view of their immortality. It seemed to span all the age ranges from 10 up to Ma and Pa. And yes, lots of food for thought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I felt like each one of the Tucks had a different view of immortality depending on their age and personality!

      Delete
  4. Hmmm, this one sounds very... strange. Probably not for me, but I'm glad it appealed to you, and you enjoyed the book! Excellent review, Pili :D

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alyssa! I love discovering all classics like this!

      Delete
  5. I love this book! I can't believe you haven't heard of it. I read it years ago, when I was little, and re-read just last year, and loved it just as much. I adore the Tucks. After the Weasley's, they're probably one of my favourite fictional families

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Tucks were wonderful! I guess my excuse would be that I'm not sure if this one was ever translated to Spanish! ;)

      Delete
  6. Yay :D Great review Pili. <3 So glad you enjoyed this book. I have heard good things about it this past month. And now I want to read it too, lol. It looks awesome :) Thank you for sharing about it sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll get to read it soon Carina, it's a lovely book!

      Delete
  7. Firstly, HOORAY for you having the weekend off. I know it's way behind you now, but I hope it was great. Lastly . . . I really intended to participate in this re-read/discussion, but . . . blah. I don't remember being over-fond of it when I read it as a kid, and I couldn't work up the motivation. *shrugs* Lame. I know. But I'm glad you enjoyed it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lazy and I spent a lot of time reading and scheduling things for the blog, so it was quite good! ;)
      Hopefully you'll join us for Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIHM? It's gonna be one of my first re-reads for this challenge and I remember loving it!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!