Friday, January 9, 2015

Friday Reads: Hemlock by Kathleen Peacock!!

Happy Friday guys!

This Friday for me means going back to work after a few days off, so not the same kind of Friday that you all might be having! Still, I only work today and then tomorrow night shift and then I'll have a few days off again, so YAY!

For today's Friday Reads I have a book that came highly recommended from my dear blogging friend Alyssa from The Eater of Books and that should have been my December book for the Alyssa Recommends shelf, but that I failed to review until now and didn't even manage to finish in December either! I will still be choosing and reading another book for my Alyssa Recommends book for January!




Hemlock (Hemlock, #1)Hemlock by Kathleen Peacock

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Hemlock is one of those books I've had in my TBR list for a while, but since it is also one of the Alyssa Recommends book, I finally decided to go ahead and read it!

And I must say it was a very different kind of werewolves story. The story starts at an already complex point, when werewolves have been in the open for a while and they are considered dangerous and monstrous and prejudice is rampant and the government has set up confinement camps (and maybe it's just me but that reminded me of Nazis and Jews and their camps).

This is more than just a paranormal story since it's got a murder mystery that is more than just a simple murder mystery with very deep implications. Actually I think that's what defines this book, nothing is as simple as it might seem at first, even if it doesn't seem simple. There are layers upon layers to everything, from the characters, to their relationships, to the plot!

When I first started reading I wasn't sure what was going on, with Mac still grieving the loss of her best friend and how there seemed to be a certain tension with the two other best friends, so much that I feared a love triangle. But then everything started getting more tangled and more clear at the same time! You start to see that Lupine Syndrome is dangerous but it is also used as a political weapon and a way to gain power by some. And with all the layers that we uncover in this book, I still feel like there's much more to dig up in the books to come, and that is quite exciting!

Mac is a very interesting main character, with a tendency to trust but keep people at arm's lenght sometimes, or as Kyle said to treat others as she's expecting them to disappoint her or abandon her (paraphrasing, since that's not the exact quote). Mac has been left behind by important people in her life and she seems to be expecting it from everyone she comes to care for. She's also a bit rash, impulsive and headstrong, but she's fiercely loyal and also doesn't let ignorant prejudice drive her. And frankly she needs to shake that town to get some answers instead of waiting for things to happen.

Kyle and Jason are the two guys that completed the quartet of best friends. Jason was Amy's boyfriend and he seemed to be involved with her death, since she was killed by a werewolf, he feels like joining a vendetta against werewolves, but as usual, everything is more complicated than it seemed at first! They are the two guys that at first seemed to be candidates for a love triangle, but thankfully it never really turns out this one, not truly.

I'm really pleased that I finally digged into this one and I'm looking forward to reading Thornhill next, since I cannot wait to discover more layers to the story, both of the murder and of the Lupine Syndrome. Very well deserved 4 stars for this one!



View all my reviews

20 comments:

  1. AAAHH! Why must you continue to torment with with Kathleen Peacock's series!? Yes, it's on my werewolf wishlist, and yes I know I suck. LOL! So, is there or isn't there a love triangle? Because I just finished reading a book that had a MAJOR one in it (Dead of Winter), and I'm not sure that I can deal with that trope again so soon. Happy Friday!

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read your review for Dead of Winter, and be assured, you might be worried at first but there is NOT a love triangle!

      Delete
  2. It's been a while since I've read this one Pili, but I remember really loving it! It was definitely a different kind of werewolf read. I need to finish out the series though, I got distracted by other books and never made it back to book two! Can't wait for your thoughts on Thornhill:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's gonna be a lil bit till I can finish Thornhill, I've found myself needing to finish quite a few ARCs!
      But so far I found it equally interesting so far as I've read, Jenny!

      Delete
  3. I don't think I've read a werewolf book yet but I've definitely seen this one around. Extra happy that there's no love triangle! Have you heard of the Netflix series Hemlock Grove? This book has some similarities to that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend this one Eileen! I have heard about the show, but I think I've only watched one episode, but the show is based on another book series with the same name, Hemlock Grove.

      Delete
  4. Wooo! I'm so glad that you enjoyed this book, Pili! *phew* Hopefully you love Thornhill as much (or even more)! I can't decide if I liked Thornhill or Willowgrove more... but I loved the series in general :D Fabulous review!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I like Thornhill and Willowgrove as much as I liked this one, I'd be more than happy! It's shaping up like a great trilogy!!

      Delete
  5. I love werewolf books! And I love layers and mystery. The good news is that this one is on my Kindle, so I intend to read it. :) Great review, Pili!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot wait to hear what you think of this one Kaitlin! Hope you'll enjoy!

      Delete
  6. Ooooh there's a murder mystery here as well? Well, I am so definitely reading this then. I haven't read a book that has werewolves in ages, and this sounds like a refreshing take on them.

    Lovely review, Pili! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and political implications and a weird ghost... it's quite fantastic Melanie, I hope you'll read it!
      Thank you!

      Delete
  7. I have this book on my TBR, but I was a bit hesitant. I almost got it when BookOutlet had their Boxing Sale, but decided not. It sounds like it's a very complex book, especially with the werewolf containment camps. That is definitely a unique twist. Great review, you definitely made me more interested in reading it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *pushes book* Read it, Nori, reaaad iiiit!!!

      Delete
  8. This is one that I think I need to try. Glad that you enjoyed it, I may give it a read sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review Pili :D I'm glad you enjoyed this book a lot. <3 I've read it twice, since I read all the books some weeks ago, and I enjoyed it too. <3 A four star from me as well, hih :) I had some issues with the next two books, but fingers crossed you will love them :) Excited to hear your thoughts about them. <3 Happy reading Pili :) And thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carina!
      I'm reading Thornhill now and I do hope I'll be able to like it as much as this one!

      Delete
  10. Love the sound of the multi layered story in this one. I like how Mac herself sounds like she has a bit of depth, with her good sides and flaws too. Great review lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Jeann!! Everyone and everything has layers to peel and that's what makes this such a great read and not your average werewolf read!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el dĂ­a!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!