Monday, March 30, 2015

Mark This Book Monday: Every Move by Ellie Marney!!!

And as the second Mark This Book Monday post of this week, I have one of those highly awaited books that I've been making grabby hands since I read the first book of the trilogy!

I highly recommend this series to anyone and everyone and it reinforces my love for Australian fiction and authors, and I plan to continue to support Ellie Marney and whatever books might came after this trilogy!

As book released on 2015 (even if only in Australia) I'm totally counting it towards my 2015 release category in the 105 Challenge!




Every Move (Every, #3)Every Move by Ellie Marney

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Since I first got my hands on book 1, Every Breath, I've been addicted to this series, that can be considered a contemporary retelling of Sherlock Holmes with murder mysteries and the most shippity ship of all times. And so my need to get my hands on this final book was rather dire, and after preordering somewhere and them not shipping it, I ended up ordering it directly from the Australian publisher. It arrived as I was leaving for work, so I spent the whole shift wishing the time to pass faster because I wanted to get back home to devour it! And that I did! I stayed up till 5 am till I finished inhaling the book!

If you still haven't started this series, you really ought to get going, but even if you've started it, you might expect some spoilers in this one for book 1 and 2, since I might discuss some of the events, so GO READ THEM NOW!!

As the previous two book the pacing and the plotting and the mysteries in this one were done so well! And the characters and emotional connections and the relationships as well! I love how important for the book are all the relationships, not only Rachel & James and their romantic relationship, but also Rachel and her brother, and Rachel and her parents, specially her mum.
No absent parents here, no even those that are dead, since Mycroft's parents are always present in the way they have shaped who he is and his interests and motivations. Rachel's parents don't trust her know, and her mother is both angry and scared with Rachel's taking off after Mycroft to London and returning injured.

Rachel is going through a very tough time after the events in London, and although she doesn't acknowledge it really, she's trying to push through it, but she cannot allow close contact with even her family and she gets nightmares every day, PTSD to the letter. And it's fantastic how the author deals with it. With Rachel trying to get away from everything and returning to her home away from the city for a day with her brother (that doesn't really work as she expected as they end up having company) and then having someone not involved with the events or her family helping her finding a way to regain control of her fear somehow by focusing on defending herself.

Mycroft and Rachel are a bit more distant at the beginning of the book, given how each of them is dealing with the aftermath of London. Mycroft has thrown himself even harder into investigating his parents' case, and Rachel cannot deal with any of that, so they barely spend time together. It is painful to read, how they need each other not only as a couple but as friends and how they cannot seem to be able to communicate with each other, both thinking that the other needs the time and space to sort themselves out. But when they confront not only each other but their feelings and the way they're dealing with the fear, the threat and the mystery... they're back to being one united team, the ship to end all other ships.

There is one new guy introduced in this book, one that has an interest in Rachel and that helps her when Mycroft couldn't, teaching her self defence and being a neutral party for her to talk to, but I cannot speak of love triangle since Rachel never thinks of anyone but James. And nevermind that Mycroft does actually punch the dude, which if not exactly something I should condone... I actually enjoyed it loads in the book! Bad Pili!

As far as the mystery goes, I had a bad vibe about one character in Every Word and to my surprise, I ended up being right on who was our Moriarty to my surprise and glee! The final climax was full of heartstopping action and tension and boy I couldn't turn the pages past enough!

This book and series was an amazing journey and despite some of my issues of lack of knowledge of the Australian flora that made me pause to search for some terms in my phone (Dictionary app for the win!) I adored everything from these books, from the characters, their relationships, the mysteries, the pacing, the plotting, the OTP!! Very well deserved 5 and all the stars!! VERY recommended!!



View all my reviews

12 comments:

  1. I CAN NOT WAIT TO READ THIS BOOK. I'm so happy you loved it so much. I neeeed it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope you'll get to read this one ASAP!!!

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous review Pili. <3 I'm so so happy that you loved this third book :D I'm not sure I will read them, because I am so heartbroken about what I have heard about the romance in this final one :p And with what you say, I know I won't like it at all :( Ugh. I haaaate relationship drama so damn much. And another boy. And kissing. (most likely.) And just. Not for me, hah :D But ohh. I am so curious about the plot :) And I am so excited that you loved all three books. And I am curious. Maybe one day :) Thank you for sharing sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much sweetie!!
      I wasn't really bothered because they're relationship is still strong and it was not really a love triangle, but I can understand that it would bother you.

      Delete
  3. Yay five stars!! But... Ehhh. I'm still not convinced lol. I think my thoughts run along the same lines as Carina's. If I can avoid books with multiple love interests (whether it's a fully developed love triangle or not), I will. Especially if it's romance drama spread over three or more books O_O Anyway. I'm so glad you loved this one, Pili! Excellent review!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just didn't see him as a love interest at any point, and I don't consider it relationship drama but a relationship developing between two people all through the 3 books... but *shrugs* I guess it can be seen differently!

      Delete
  4. Okay, I skimmed since I haven't read the first book yet, but I saw words like "Mycroft" and "Moriarty" so obviously this as something to do with Sherlock Holmes and I LOVE that! And I'm glad the introduction of a new guy didn't create a triangle. *phew* Fantastic review:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!! Jenny, you really need to start this series, STAT!! *pushes books*

      Delete
  5. Yesss I am so happy to hear you absolutely loved this book! I have heard consistently great things about it, and I still have yet to discover the wonderful Rachel and Mycroft. The Ship to end all other ships? They sound like they had a lot to work through and it definitely sounds like a slow burn! Great review Pili!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot say enough good things about this series Jeann! I do hope you'll give it a try!
      Thank you!

      Delete
  6. I didn't know this series existed! Where have I been?! At a glance, it looks like your typical NA read. So when I read the word Sherlock. I was like WHAAAT?! *adds it to my TBR*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, not your typical NA at all!! I do hope you'll check this series out and love it as much I do, Carmel!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!