Saturday, March 14, 2015

Saturday Pages: The Mime Order by Samantha Shannon!!!

Hey guys!

The weekend is here and with it a new entry of Saturday Pages! And this one is counted for my 105 Challenge because as a January release it'll be included in my 2015 release category.





The Mime Order (The Bone Season, #2)The Mime Order by Samantha Shannon

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


First of all I must thank my friend Kristen from My Friends Are Fiction because she was the one that convinced me to read The Bone Season and I discovered a fantastic series that is now on its second book and we have 5 more books to look forward to!

The Mime Order starts right where The Bone Season left us and it was full of action from page one. Then we get a small breather while Paige tries to recover from the ordeal of being kept captive, trained and escaping but it's not too quiet since she's in hiding and running from Scion.

I wasn't very happy with how Paige returned to Seven Dials after how Jaxon treated her in Bone Season, but it was also understandable that she needed a safe place to hide, and returning to her position as Mollisher was the most obvious choice, even if her swallowing her pride and running back felt like a step back.

But things change quickly once Paige finds herself in a crime scene, and she decides she needs to solve the crime before she is accused of it. And we are treated to a wonderful murder mystery full of twists!

Most of the world building was done in The Bone Season, but everything gets bigger and better in this book. We see more of the Syndicate, discover more about the different leaders and the inside workings of leadership. I loved how Paige decided to work from the inside to change things and try to unite the voyants in the fight against Scion.

There's quite a bit of growth for Paige in this book, she returns as an escaped victim from the Rephaim and seems to go back to being under the care and fist of Jaxon, but she cannot ignore the threat to all the voyants or the fact that the Syndicate is a bunch of squabbling criminals that can't seem to see beyond their own petty noses. She decides she needs to change things and she takes responsability and fights for those that no one else seem to care about. I just loved how she went against what was the obvious choices or the easy ones.

The romance in this series is on the rather subtle and secondary side, but it is present and although it's not the main motivator for Paige's actions, Warden is a constant presence and reassurance, as well as someone that will always help her try and get stronger. The chemistry between Paige and Warden is pretty good but given their differences is fantastic that they acknowledge how difficult their relationship will be and how they feel very strongly but won't put it before everything else.

The final part of the book was extremely intense, trying to solve two mysteries at once and preparing for the final battle, and once all of that is done, we get an even bigger surprise and slap in the face! Now I just cannot wait for book 3!! Go Paige!! Very well deserved 5 stars for this second book that has no sequel slump in any shape or form!



View all my reviews

20 comments:

  1. Yes! I loved this one too. It was slow but once that middle part happened...wow. Warden is one of my favorite characters ever (him and Raffe). So much love for these books. So happy you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beginning was a lil slow but as you say as soon as it picked up speed... holy crackers!
      And you've just reminded me that I need to check if Burned is available for preorder for my Kindle yet!!

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous review Pili :D I'm glad you loved this sequel! I'm going to read both books one day ;p They do seem amazing :) So happy you love them both. Yay for sweet romance :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much sweetie! I do hope you'll get to this series eventually! =D

      Delete
  3. This sounds so wonderful Pili, Paige sounds like she matures in a lot in this one and I like the direction of her relationship with warden. The murder mystery sounds exactly up my alley too, I love those types of books. So glad you love The Bone Season and the sequel was just as good, I have to read it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope you'll get to read both soon, Jeann! They're fantastic!

      Delete
  4. I loved this one as well (as you know)! I'm so :O about the ending! Did not see that coming O_O Excellent review, Pili!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was expecting that ending either! I totally said "son of a b*tch!!" out loud!! In English! ;)

      Delete
  5. I'm glad there's lots of chemistry between the two, that's always important in a romance. I love books with lots of action. I trust you and Kristen and your bookish taste, I'll have to give this series a try! Awesome review <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!! I do hope you'll get started with these soon, Rachel! =D

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you enjoyed this so much. I didn't care much for The Bone Season, and actually, I can barely remember the plot at this point. I did want to give The Mime Order a chance, and I've got it checked out from the library right now. I can't decide whether to even attempt it - I've got so many other books to read, and plus, this one is huge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steph!
      If you didn't care much for Bone Season and don't remember much of it... I'm not sure if it'd be a good idea reading Mime Order!

      Delete
  7. Yay for another 5 star read!! I've yet to start this series, but fret not! I will certainly commence sooner than later ;) In any case, I skimmed your review because I didn't want to be accidentally spoiled. But I am GLAD that the romance here doesn't overwhelm the plot at all, and that it is refreshingly realistic... meaning, it's not all rainbows and butterflies and that they ahve differences and are trying to sort them all out. That's the kind of romance I'd LOVE to read more of!

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I do hope you'll get to read the series soon, Faye! I get the feeling that you'd love it!

      Delete
  8. Another series I really want to read, and subtle romance, you know how I am all for that! Sometimes I think I need to completely retire, so I have more time to read, but I don't know how I would feel about eating instant ramens for the rest of my life. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand, sometimes I wish I could just read, but that wouldn't pay for the new apt or more books! Oh well!!

      Delete
  9. My face is still stinging from that slap!! I so didn't expect it even though I knew something big was coming! I also really love how Paige and Warden don't shy away from the obvious. They're so brave to want to be together and acknowledge it will be hard but they're willing to fight for it :D We need book 3 yesterday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!! I was expecting some sort of treachery but NOT THAT!!

      Delete
  10. Glad to know this was such a great sequel! I have only heard of this one recently mainly because the second book came out, but it sounds just like my kind of read and I am going to be all over trying it for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love amazing and epic fantasy books, YOU NEED THIS ONE!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!