Friday, March 6, 2015

Friday Reads: ARC Review of Dark Debt by Chloe Neill!!

Hey there again!

To continue with this week's Friday Reads, I have a review for an ARC that I was extremely happy to be approved for, because I was so NOT expecting to be approved! So thanks a LOT Penguin & NetGalley!

As as eARC it counts toward my 105 Challenge in the Books for Review category!





Dark Debt (Chicagoland Vampires, #11)Dark Debt by Chloe Neill

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I don't follow very many urban fantasy series any more but the Chicagoland Vampires is one of my must haves and this latest addition to the series reminded me exactly why!

We have vampires and weres and other supernaturals in this world, but the focus is usually on the vampires and their politics and the way they interact with the rest of the supernatural world and the regular humans of Chicago.

Merit and Ethan and their couple dynamics and interactions are always high points in the books, and this one is no exception. Even with Ethan's past being a real threat to Merit in this one there's no blame game between them, only support and trying to find a solution they both can agree with.

There's the first time that the mob makes an appearance in these books, and it's fantastic the way everything is twisted in between vampire politics, personal ghosts from the past and family dynamics! I'm glad that for once the Chicago goverment is not egging the mob against the vampires, and that any humans that are a threat to the vamps are ones you don't feel sorry to see go because they're anything but innocent.

I suspected one of the connections but I wasn't sure about it till the very end, and the other connection I had not expected to be as it was at all! But I'm glad Ethan finally got closure to that very painful chapter of his past and can finally reconcile himself with it.

Merit is once again the target of a madman and one that manages to violate her privacy in a most deplorable way, and despite it putting a bit of damper on her relationship with Ethan, there's no added drama because of it. There support, there's understanding and there's reassurance and I love how Ethan though feeling ready to fight for her no matter what, he also trust her and her abilities to fight for herself!

Another reason for loving this series is the amazing secondary characters that are as layered and beloved as the main ones! Here we have Catcher and Mallory once again having more protagonism and thankfully is not due to any bad drama. I love how their relationship weathered Mallory's going to the dark side (so to speak) and how that brought them together in a stronger way. And their relationship made me tear up a bit by the end of the book!

This series has become a solid favourite and one I always look forward to read every installment. I always want MORE Merit and Ethan and their amazing chemistry and banter! I'm really looking forward to the next books because I feel like the mob angle is gonna provide some very interesting plot twists for the future!

Very solid 4 stars for this one! Chloe Neill knows how to write amazing urban fantasy!



View all my reviews

6 comments:

  1. Chloe Neill... you're certainly not the first blogger I've seen that has LOVED her books. I haven't read an urban fantasy novel in quite some time! I there some romance in this book? More urban-fantasy-ness than romance? A balance of the two? :D

    Excellent review, Pili!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's an excellent balance of the action and the romance here and you NEED to meet Merit and Ethan! They have the most amazing romance from butting heads to being the best team with awesome banter ever! And some really good chemistry in there too! I think you need to give this series a try, Alyssa!

      Delete
  2. Yeah Pili! I couldn't agree more! I just love this series, and it makes me so happy to see how far Ethan and Merit have come in the ability to trust and rely on one another. It was a rocky road there for a couple books, but they're such an amazing couple. I'm very curious to see how things with the mob are going to play out too. Next book please!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSS!! Can we preorder the next book now? I NEED MOOOORE!
      Thank you, Jenny!

      Delete
  3. Yay for enjoying this book a whole lot :D Great review Pili. <3 I don't read any Urban Fantasy books.. but I'm glad you do :) Thank you for sharing about this book sweetie. <3 It do look pretty good ;) One day. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much sweetie! It really is one of those series I'm hoping it won't end!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!