Saturday, March 7, 2015

Saturday Pages: The Sin Eater's Daughter by Melinda Salisbury!!

As the second and last entry of this week's Saturday Pages I have one of my most awaited debuts of this year, and one that luckily didn't disappoint!

As a debut book it counts towards my 2015 Debut Author Challenge and since it's also a 2015 release, it counts towards my 105 Challenge in that category!







The Sin Eater's DaughterThe Sin Eater's Daughter by Melinda Salisbury

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


From the first moment that I saw that cover and read the summary for this book, I knew I needed to read it and so it was preordered and then I started reading it as soon as the book arrived in the mail!

The world of The Sin Eater's Daughter is what I'd call more historical fantasy. Full of rich detail about the kingdom of Lormere and its legends and religion's myths, so much to the point that the King and Queen are the Gods incarnate, and as such they are obeyed and worshipped. Twylla lives at court as the daughter of the Gods incarnate and her touch is deadly. There's magic at play, but there's such a strong medieval feel all over the book: monarchy, theocracy, guards, castles, court...

Twylla was a really interesting character and her growth is phenomenal. She starts as a girl with a terrifying power that she weilds, but she feels like she doesn't have any power at all. She left for the palace because she wanted to avoid her family's destiny, as she was the Sin Eater's Daughter and she again feels like a prisoner of her destiny as the Goddess incarnate. She feels the responsability of the lives she's taken and she wonders if she's doing the right thing, and she feels very accutely the lack of human contact.

She was a challenging character to connect with sometimes, because she continues to feel like she has no choice and whenever she makes one, she keeps backing out of it. She's so unsure of herself, so scared! And it does take her a while to realize that no one can make her choices perfect, that no matter what she chooses it'll be hard, and she might need to do what she fears but what will be better for her.

I was very surprised about one of the plot twists and also slightly disappointed, not disappointed because the twist wasn't good or it didn't make sense, because it actually made the book so much more interesting, but... dammit, too spoilery to discuss it here! But after a few hints here and there, I'm looking forward about what will happen in book 2!

Twylla is engaged with the prince because as the Goddess incarnate she was the only suitable match for him, given that the Royal family only married within the family (and they wonder why the babies are frail and die younger every generation, inbreeding much?) but they have barely interacted with each other. The romance is a bit complicated because Twylla feels a sense of duty towards the prince because of the crazy situation that they have, but she wants to follow her heart for once. And her heart points towards a guard that's a foreigner and that makes her ask questions and doubt the truths she's always been fed, and so she continues to be torn between heart and duty.

You might call it a love triangle, but give how they bother me and how little this one bothered me... I dunno, I guess I could understand how trapped Twylla felt in a web of lies, deceit and political manouvers! Having your world shaken and given choices that you didn't think you have can be paralizing, and given how controlled her life had been... I understand how scared she was to make her own choices. If you free a caged bird, they don't always know how to fly free.

The Queen was one fantastic villain, twisted and powerful, and that was very good at keeping control over those that she ruled by any means available, be it worship, kindness or cruelty! Mad with power and not as easily defeated as her own son would think!

I couldn't stop turning the pages because I wanted to learn more about the world and see how Twylla would get herself extricated out of the treacherous spiderweb of the court and the Queen! And the epilogue had to be my favourite part of the book! Twylla finally made her own choices, took her life into her control and decided to make her own destiny! But that knock on the door!

Very well deserved 4 to 4.5 stars to this brilliant debut! I cannot wait for the next book!



View all my reviews

20 comments:

  1. Ooh this one sounds really good! I love court politics although the love triangle is making me a bit hesitant. The plot twist didn't do it for you? Eh, sorry hun :( Lovely review <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The twist actually is quite fantastic Rachel, and I'm sure a lot of people would feel differently about it than I did! If/when you read it I'll let you know what my issue was!

      Delete
  2. Errr, so glad you enjoyed this one. A lot more than I did :)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alyssa, not all books work the same way for us!

      Delete
  3. I looooved this book! I thought it was beautifully done and can't wait to read more from the series :-) So glad you enjoyed it Pili!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I am so excited for the next book too!

      Delete
    2. I've heard so much about this book lately that I've been dying to get my hands on it. I'm so happy you enjoyed this one Pili! I'll make sure to look for it in my library :)

      Delete
    3. I hope you'll get it from your library Lily! Cannot wait to hear what you think!

      Delete
  4. Yes, I am definitely starting this tonight once I settle in. You have convinced me. Revuew books be damned! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woot! Sometimes we do need a break from review books and indulge ourselves!
      I hope you'll like it at least as much as I did, La!

      Delete
  5. Great review Pili. <3 Thank you so much for sharing about this book :D I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. <3 Ugh. You would call it a love triangle? Really? :( no one else has said that.. damn them! lol :D I don't want more triangles :( but yeah. Still curious about this book ;p Thank you for sharing sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not exactly a love triangle, because there isn't really love in one of the sides, it's more a question of duty. But there are two boys... And the ending is quite unusual, so not a love triangle per se, just a lil warning!
      Thank you sweetie!

      Delete
  6. I don't usually mind love triangles as long as they're necessary to the plot, and that they aren't there for pointless drama. If it feels like it's justified - the concept in it, the indecisiveness - I'm cool with it. Looking forward to this one!

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is justified and the resolution is quite interesting in itself too, Faye!

      Delete
  7. I read the first chapter of this book and I loved how it sounds.
    I'm not sure I'm ready for an "almost" love triangle, but I'll keep it in mind.
    Great review, Pili!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, it's not a bothersome triangle per se! And you really ought to read it, Lis, it's amazing!

      Delete
  8. YES!! I love seeing great reviews for this one but i kinda cant believe i haven't read it yet (smacks head) I LOVE your review. It sometimes so frustrating when you cant speak about the bombs that happen in the plot.
    <3 Britt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT IS!! READ THIS SO WE CAN DISCUSS IT!!! =D

      Delete
  9. I have seen a lot of mixed reviews for this novel. Either people love it or hate it - one or the other. I am glad to know you could enjoy it as much as you did! I am not sure whether to read try it or not yet, but I am intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's been quite polarizing, but I really loved it! Hope you'll give it a try!!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!