Monday, March 23, 2015

Mark This Book Monday: Marked by Sarah Fine!!

Hello there guys!

A new week starts with another Monday and it's a working Monday for me, but before that it is a Monday to juggle kitchen estimates for the last time! I'm finally choosing a design and estimate! And I'm hoping for some awesome book mail to arrive too!

To start this week's Mark This Book Monday I have a book that had been in my Kindle library a while, and that I was prompted to read once I got approved for the sequel on Netgalley! Since this one is a fantastic mix of urban fantasy, paranormal romance with a generous dash of both Greek mythology and postapocalyptic it counts both towards my 2015 Mythology Reading Challenge and the Dystopia Reading Challenge 2015!!







Marked (Servants of Fate, #1)Marked by Sarah Fine

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I have heard such great things about Sarah Fine's books and although I have her YA series already in my shelves and Kindle library, once I got approved for the eARC of the sequel, I decided to start her first adult series!

Marked is fantastic mix of different genres, since it's got mythology, dystopian, paranormal, urban fantasy and some quite awesomely done romance.

We meet Eli once he's just moved to a new city with his sister Galena, we don't know much of their past or the world they live in, but we keep getting tidbits here and there. Eli is a paramedic and find himself paired with Cacia Ferry, who aside from a great paramedic is also the daughter of the most powerful man in the city. And that man and his family have a few mysterious secrets.

I loved how everything was so well described, from the futuristic work as paramedics with techniques even if the technology is different, to the dystopian/postapocalyptic setting and world, with climate changes and water shortages. Even if we don't get the full background story about how it came to happen, we get enough information for us to get a clear picture of the world.

And the most intriguing part is the Greek mythology that's woven into the story. How a family has the charge to help the souls of the dead cross to the place they ought to go (they Ferry them along...), the head of the family is the Charon and those who will die are "marked" by Fate and then the Kers are the one that make sure they die. I wasn't expecting that twist added and really loved it!

I love how the plot and the world building progressed pretty much in parallel, finding out more about the world as we try and unravel the murder mystery that is the linchpin to all the events to come! And at the same time we're trying to figure out things and make sense of the world and discover who's behind everything that doesn't make sense, we also see the relationship between Eli and Cacia develop, from an early attraction that both refuse to act on, to becoming partners at work and a big support through tough times to finally getting together. And boy, do they have chemistry! Chemistry enough to jump off the pages!

Both Cacia and Eli are complex characters that have many secrets that belong to the past that shapes them, but they discover that together they can find a way to go ahead accepting that past and stopping it to define who they are and who they can be.

My first Sarah Fine book was a complete success because I stayed up till 4 am reading till I finished the book, completely engrossed with it, its world, the plot and the amazing romance between Eli and Cacia! Very well deserved 4 stars!



View all my reviews

10 comments:

  1. Sounds good. I've addedd it to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do think these covers are pretty gorgeous looking ;) I'm so glad you enjoyed this book Pili. I haven't really heard about them before, but maybe checking them out sometime :) So happy you loved it. <3 Thank you for sharing sweetie :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are gorgeous Carina!
      Thank you so much sweetie!

      Delete
  3. I've had this one (and Claimed) for forever! I had already planned on reading them, but they have been added to the Pili-Pushed lists for expedition. So glad you enjoyed this book! I love Greek mythology as well, and can't wait to see how Fine used it in the series :D

    Excellent review, Pili!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! The romance and the chemistry are awesome! So happy that you added them to the Pili Pushed books list!! =D

      Delete
  4. I have Claimed and Marked from Netgalley. I should probably read them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah Fine is pretty much a solid writer in the genres she writes! She's one of those few that I've seen mix genres into her stories and do it pretty well. I have Sanctum by her and I haven't finished it yet, but it's good so far and it's almost the same with the genre mixing contemporary, dystopia, fantasy. Are you going to try that one out, Pili?

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the whole trilogy that starts with Sanctum in my Kindle library, so I hope to get to it soon myself, Faye! Glad to hear you're liking that one so far!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!