Friday, March 27, 2015

Friday Reads: Fire Study by Maria V Snyder!!

Hello there! Happy Friday!

Friday is my day off this week since I work the weekend and yesterday was my day after night shift and I was fuzzy-brained all day!

Today's Friday Reads will be a bit uphazardly done, but I do plan to have two reviews up, and the first one is the final book in the Study series!



Fire Study (Study, #3)Fire Study by Maria V. Snyder

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I have thouroughly enjoyed reading this series! Since this is the final book in what originally was a trilogy you can expect some spoilers for events that happened in book 1 and 2, so keep that in mind!

It's a wonderful fantasy series that also has a good look at political differences between two countries and how things are seen differently from inside each one of the sides!

Yelena is still trying to accept her magic and to what point it might determine who she is. It already determines how the people around her react to her, judging her based on the acts of another. And despite how big the mistrust from others is, the worst rejection comes from Yelena herself, since she is scared of her powers and her magic.

Being the Soulfinder is a scary and largely unknown power and Yelena is not sure how to get herself train and get her abilities under control. The First Magician is the biggest advocate for Yelena to be eliminated for being too dangerous and once that possibility is ruled out, she decides she'll be the one to train Yelena, and that doesn't sit well with Yelena at all, as is to be expected. And driven by her fear of her own abilities, her mistrust of her own control and her unwillingness to face it all, Yelena ends up running head first into trouble without much planning or thinking.

The plot was continuining from what started in the two previous books and expands in worrisome ways. I didn't really guess who the bad guy behind it all, because it was such a verbal and in your face character, you wouldn't have expected such deception too, even if it was also the most obvious at the same time.

We get a lot of our beloved characters all working together and it's good that they come become because Yelena is gonna need all the help she can get trying to figure out her abilities, finding the Warpers, fighting the Fire Warper and trying to prevent an all out war between Ixia and Sitia.

Valek and Yelena undergo their first and biggest bump in their relationship because of Yelena's fears and denial and her trying to make sure no one gets hurt because of her makes her push the ones she love away, and takes their right to choose what to do, if they want to help or even how to help. But I still really enjoy how they make a fantastic team and Valek always seems to know when to get to her aid no matter what.

The ending wrapped up things rather well, leaving enough threads here and there for possible new stories with the either the main or the secondary characters and I'm glad that they are a reality, because I am in love with the world of Ixia and Sitia and I want to spend more time here! Very well deserved 4 stars for this end of a trilogy (that is not as final now any more!).



View all my reviews

8 comments:

  1. I have been dying to read this trilogy so much!!!

    Great Review!

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle! I hope you'll get to read it soon!

      Delete
  2. "it was such a verbal and in your face character, you wouldn't have expected such deception too, even if it was also the most obvious at the same time" <--- Love this! It was exactly the way I felt when everything went down. You put it into words so well :D Beautiful review Pili!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Eileen!!
      I had to think quite a bit on how to explain it without spoiling anyone!! ;)

      Delete
  3. I didn't read this too closely, because I do plan on reading just about all of Snyder's books in the future... I've seen so many great reviews for this book (and her novels in general), and fantasy is totally my thing (as you know)! I'm so happy that you've been enjoying Snyder's books.

    Excellent review, Pili!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope you'll get to read these at some point soon because I really enjoyed them!

      Delete
  4. Yay :D So glad you have really enjoyed this trilogy sweetie! I hope you will love the new book too. <3 I'm still going to read this series. One day. Just nervous, as I have issues with the writing of this author :\ but I also think the plot sounds good, as you also loved these books :) So I'm curious. Anyway. Thank you for sharing about it. <3 So happy you loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that you have issues with the author's writing sweetie, but I hope you'll give this trilogy a try!
      Thank you for always commenting dear!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!