Monday, March 9, 2015

Mark This Book Monday: Every Word by Ellie Marney!!!

Hey again guys!

Back again with another entry for this week's Mark This Book Monday and this time with one of those rare books that made me emotional in strange ways, made me relate with both the characters and their parents, made me turn the pages like there was no tomorrow and made me decide to plan a trip to London to celebrate my birthday come September!



Every Word (Every, #2)Every Word by Ellie Marney

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


HOLY CRACKERS!!
Yes, that was my first reaction upon finishing the book and I still find it hard to write a coherent review for this!

A warning to those in the US, this book will be releasing later this year over there, so although this is a finished AUS copy, do not read if you want to avoid any and all sort of spoilers, because I'm not sure if I'll manage a completely spoiler free review!

And another warning, there might be some spoilers for Every Breath, if you haven't read it or the summary for this one, so please, go read book 1 now!

I simply devoured and loved Every Breath and I was dying to get my hands of Every Word and this one was yet another case of book I stayed up all night reading till I finished it! Thank goodness for working the late afternoon shift!

Rachel's parents have reacted like normal parents would and they have some trust issues with their girl and are putting limits on the time she spends with Mycroft and how she spends it, and although I'm angry because they are interfering with my ship, I so bloody well agree with them trying to act like parents would! The family is very present here in this series, and both a source of strenght and conflict for both Rachel and Mycroft. I adore Rachel's relationship with her brother, and how he was both protective and supportive and found himself conflicted trying to mediate between Rachel and their parents.

Most of the book moves the action from Australia to London and Oxford, and although that was a massive move and change for Rachel, that meant going to familiar waters for me. Mycroft left for London without telling Rachel, a rather jerk move, and Rachel decided to go to London after him in a move that probably was the least smart but that also made a lot of sense, given their relationship and what motivated Mycroft to go to London in the first place.

This book was even more gritty and harsh than the first one, because not only we deal with someone that was murdered but also with kidnapping and torture, there's crime investigating, an autopsy is done and there's also a visit to 221 Baker's Street. I think I've already said this before, but this book was a serious page turner, not only because there's plenty of action and tension, but also because the chemistry and the relationship between Mycroft and Rachel is both amazing and painful!

Mycroft took off without further thought or consideration and he simply was one way mind only about his quest to find answers about his parents' case. Rachel followed him and knew it would hurt her but she was not just a great girlfriend but mostly a very good friend. And once Mycroft got out of the fog in his mind, he literally threw himself in harms way for Rachel. These two have an epic chemistry and I just want them together for good but holy shit do they seem to drag each other into danger! But they also help each other out of it rather epically!

Long story short, this is a bloody epic and wild ride of a book, both emotionally and when it comes to the plot. We discover many things about the past and the biggest shocker comes by the end of the book, so I'm now here on pins and needles waiting for my copy of the third and final book in the trilogy so I can put myself and my emotions through hell and back again!

If you haven't started this series yet, please do! It's contemporary, it's gritty, it's also a reimagining of Sherlock Holmes with a stronger and brighter (and female) Wat(ts)on and a ship to rule all ships. Very much deserving of 5 stars!!



View all my reviews

12 comments:

  1. Why am I not familiar with this series Pili? WHY I ASK YOU?! A Sherlock Holmes reimagining with a fantastic female Watson? YES PLEASE!!!! Sounds like this is a series I might want to hold off on until all the books are available though so I don't have that pins and needles wait! Looking forward to seeing what you think of the last book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You NEED to read this series Jenny!! I think book 3 (Every Move) is already out in Australia! I'm awaiting my preorder so I can finish the trilogy!! This one, Every Word is releasing later this year in the US. But if you want to get the full series in the AUS paperbacks, Fishpond has them with free shipping!! ;) Just a FYI!

      Delete
  2. OH MY GOD EVERYONE HAS BEEN RAVING ABOUT THIS AHHH. I need to see the amazingness that is Mycroft and Rachel for myself! They sound like the perfect ship. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!! Aimee, this is the ship to end all ships!!! You really need to start this series!! =D

      Delete
  3. Yay :D Amazing review Pili. <3 I am SO GLAD you are loving this series! I have heard amazing things :) But.. I have also heard of something that happens in book three. So now I shall not be getting these three books :( Sad face. But I'm crossing my fingers that you will love it. <3 Thank you for sharing about this book sweetie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alyssa also told me that she had heard something she didn't like about book 3, but I guess I'll have to wait and see once I get my copy!
      Thank you sweetie!

      Delete
  4. I WANT THIS SO MUCH!!!!! Literally everyone who has read this has A). loved it and B). become obsessed with it. Lovely review, so glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YEP, I understand the feeling!! So far I absolutely adooore the series and I'm pushing it on everyone, Rachel!!

      Delete
  5. Well, you know my reservations with this series. I'll wait until all the books are published and there are plenty of reviews for me to make a well-educated decision!

    So glad you LOVED this one, Pili!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alyssa! I'm hoping I'll be getting my copy of the third book in a few weeks, so I'll let you know once I read it!

      Delete
  6. Okay, I read your disclaimer and I skimmed your review. I'M SO SORRY, PILI! I really want to read this book but I have no copy yet so I don't want to be spoiled just yet :P Haha! But I'm really looking forward to this series and I hope I can get a copy soon >_<

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are forgiven, spoilers are NO FUN!! I do hope you'll get your hands on a copy ASAP, Faye!!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!