Saturday, April 12, 2014

Saturday Pages: Scent of Magic by Maria V. Snyder!!

As the final entry on this week's Saturday Pages I have the sequel for the previous entry and one that doesn't suffer from the dreaded middle book syndrome! It is also part of my 2014 Series Challenge!




Scent of Magic (Healer, #2)Scent of Magic by Maria V. Snyder

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Scent of Magic is another one of those strong sequels that don't disappoint, and after a great book like A Touch Power, it's not an easy feat. As usual, I will do my best to avoid spoilers for the book, but you can expect spoilers for book 1 since the plot of this book is built on the ending of book 1.

These series has become a quick favourite of mine cause I love the main character, Avry. She's strong, resourceful and even if she's headstrong and stubborn as a rule, she doesn't usually charge head on onto disaster. She just doesn't take orders just because well, but she is more than ready to work together when informed of the plans. I feel a special kinship with her since she's a healer and I'm a nurse, though I always wonder if I'd be able to take other people's injuries as my own to cure them.

Scent of Magic is told in dual POVs, from Kerrick's and Avry's, which make sense since they spend most of the book apart, wondering what's going on with each other, wondering about each others' safety but never failing to do their duty. Each one of them has a different mission but both are working to make sure Tohon or the northen tribes won't overrun the Realms.

Avry takes advantage of the fact that most people think her dead, so she takes on another identity to infiltrate the army of the High Priestess of the Creator. It's very interesting to see Avry prove her own worth to others and herself by doing something other than being a healer. I loved how she tried to make amendments with her sister and how she kept on worrying about keeping her friends believing she was dead.

We've got quite a bit of world building in this one, since Kerrick's travels take him beyond the Realms, and we learn a lot by comparing the tribes customs and traditions with the ones from the Realms.

There's plenty of military tactics, political intrigue and magical mysteries to keep our attention page after page. We also keep on wondering about the fate of some of characters here and there.

The ending was quite evil, with an awful emotional cliffhanger that made me extremely happy to have the final book to read right after this one. Well deserved 4 to 4.5 stars!



View all my reviews

10 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear that this one didn't disappoint. I often find that the first books in Maria's series are so good that I'm hesitant about reading the rest of the series out of fear that they wont rise to my high expectations. Scent of Magic is definitely on my tbr though, I adored the first novel and can't wait to see more of Kerrick and Avry. Great review Pili!

    -Mari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first series of her that I've read, and this sequel really didn't disappoint me at all, you really ought to read it, Mari!

      Delete
  2. I think I read the first in this series but I might be confusing it with another book. I need to clarify because I've seen these around and I'm intrigued. great review Pili!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you haven't read this series, it's one I'd recommend, Kristen!

      Delete
  3. Wow, I have no idea why I haven't read this series for because it totally sounds up my alley! I'm glad you're enjoying it Pili! Thanks for the wonderful review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeann! I loved this whole series and it was a great fantasy read that I highly recommend!

      Delete
  4. Can you believe that I haven't read a single snyder book? I know, I know, I need to get off my lazy ass and grab the nearest book that I can find, which I will as soon as I get to a decent bookstore. Not much to find here in the boonies.
    Great review, love!

    Faye at The Social Potato Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally can, Faye, cause these are the first Snyder books I've read also! But now I can recommend these to you! Hope you'll be able to find them!
      I can totally relate with you about the books thing... here in Spain it's extremely difficult to find books in English in bookstores (and almost impossible in libraries) so my salvation are The Book Depository and Amazon!

      Delete
  5. Sequels that don't disappoint are such a relief, hah. I'm happy that you enjoyed this so much, Pili. I had mixed feelings about her Magic series, but hearing you talk about the great worldbuilding and military strategy definitely makes me curious about this one.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked this series, but I haven't read anything by her before, so I really can't compare!
      Thanks Wendy!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!