Friday, April 18, 2014

Friday Reads: ARC Review of The Forever Watch by David Ramirez!

As the final entry on this week's Friday Reads I have another review book, one I got approved for on NetGalley, thanks a lot St Martin's Press for the approval!

As a review ARC it is part of both ARCApril and my 2014 Review Pile Reading Challenge!







The Forever WatchThe Forever Watch by David   Ramirez

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


When I requested The Forever Watch on NetGalley I felt like I really needed a change in pace and felt like some good classical science fiction was exactly what I needed.

And now that I've finished it, I'm completely torn about this book. On one side the world building is impressively detailed and layered, there's so much of the story that you can imagine at first, with some dystopian touches here and there and the plot has some curve balls that you really cannot expect. But on the other hand, everything seems to progress at such a slow pace... it's like following a path of tiny crumbs that keeps on meandering and going and going and never seems to end! You are walking through a gorgeous countryside and try to enjoy the journey but if it goes on for too long... you just want to get somewhere!

Our story takes place in the Noah, a generation ship on route to Canaan after the destruction of Earth. The society built on the Noah is a meritocracy and has a very advanced technology with brain implants that enhance abilities like telepathy and telekinesis and other physical feats. Hana has just undergone her mandatory Breeding, where females get pregnant and stay sedated during the entire pregnancy and never get to meet their children. We see her trying to get back to her normal self previous to this experience and going back to her normal routine. Through her eyes we discover the world of the Noah and while it is fascinating, we meander around technology and descriptions for quite a bit.

Then we meet Barrens, a friend of Hana after helping her on her worst night to date, and a police officer, with plenty of phyisical enhancements and modifications to help with his work. He also has some secret darkness in him that is at odds with the tight control that is everywhere in the Noah. Big brother is nothing compared to the control of the Nth Web and what can be done by the "thought police". Being Adjusted means having your memories deleted which results in a loss of who you are, and are left more than an unfeeling robot.

Despite all this, both Barrens and Hana start on a slippery slope of hacking and investigating anomalies that are being kept hidden. Here is the beginning of a very long thread that keeps us on our toes and that throws us quite a few unexpected surprises! There are so many secrets and lies weaved all over the Noah, and the choice of keeping them or getting them in the open can lead to the end of what's left of humankind.

Hana and Barrens relationship progresses with a very realistic pace, when we meet them they've already been friends a while, but after Hana's Breeding duty they become close friends and then even more than just that. Their investigating and hacking and illegal activities manage to bring them closer in their quest to find the truth. And they discover that the truth sometimes isn't something that humanity (or what's left of it) can deal with as a whole.

Full of nuance and detail, with great plot lines and food for thought this is a great science fiction read, but somehow it just kept on feeling slow and long for me. I'm giving it 3 stars. Maybe it just wasn't the right read for the right time for me, but if you like science fiction, give this one a try!



View all my reviews

8 comments:

  1. Despite the slow pace and feeling like the story was a bit long, I'm glad there were some definite highlights for you! Science fiction is a genre that's really starting to grow on me (like fantasy), so I'm always on the lookout for a solid read. I totally understand what you're saying about maybe it just not being the right time for a certain book, that's definitely happened to me a couple times. I've read a book and it's been okay, but I can't help but feel part of that reaction was because I just wasn't in the right mood for it:) Have a great weekend Pili!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a case of "it's not you, it's me" with this book! I feel like it has the potential of a great strong science fiction book, but it just wasn't the right time!
      Thanks Jenny, have a great weekend you too! I'll be working on mine! ;)

      Delete
  2. I do like science fiction, but I don't think I'm in the right mood for something like this at the moment. Too much detail and slowness is leaving me quite restless right now, but I think I could appreciate this by the time Autumn rolls around again. I don't know why, but I prefer heavier reads when it's colder! The world-building sounds impressive though. Thanks for the helpful review, Pili. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so can relate with what you say Sam! I think that was exactly the issue with this book, I have been feeling a bit restless as of late, and books with a slow pace aren't exactly sitting too well with me. But it is a great book, so keep it on your reading list for the autumn!

      Delete
  3. I definitely like Science Fiction (I kind of prefer it now over Dystopia these days) and will definitely check this one out. The premise totally sounds like what I'd read, and I love books set in spaceships. Will be putting a close eye on this one. Thanks for sharing!

    Faye at The Social Potato Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye, I do hope you'll check it out and like it! Do let me know if you end up reading it!

      Delete
  4. I hadn't heard of this one before. It sounds like a decent sci fi read and i totally am the same way I can read a book and just find it alright but know it's bc of my mindset/mood and not totally the book itself. I find it happens a lot when I read the same genre too much. Although long and slow is def. not something I look for in this genre ever. I do like how the romance sounds though - my fav romances are often from characters who were friends first I find it's easier to see their connection and attraction. It also has less of an insta love feel for the most part at least. Great review, hun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Giselle!
      The book has a fantastic and detailed world building and some of the details seem too much but they all come together at the end. It reminds me a bit of Embassytown by China Mieville because it quite took a while for the book to get going, but this one I didn't find as fascinating as Embassytown...

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!