Monday, April 7, 2014

Mark This Book Monday: ARC Review of The Forever Song by Julie Kagawa!!!

For the final entry for this week's Mark This Book Monday I'm having an ARC that made me ignore everything else that I was reading and start it right away, even if I was completely exhausted that night after work! I have to say a big big THANK YOU to Harlequin Teen for approving my request for this one via NetGalley.

This one is part of three of challenges! As the final book of the Blood of Eden series is part of my 2014 Series Challenge, as a paranormal postapocalyptic dystopia it is part of my Dystopian Reading Challenge 2014 and since I got my eARC via NetGalley for review, it is part of my 2014 Review Pile Reading Challenge! Phew!








The Forever Song (Blood of Eden, #3)The Forever Song by Julie Kagawa

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


When I was approved for The Forever Song on NetGalley I was immediately running towards my eReader to get it to load, and I totally ignored whatever books I had pending to read, even The Winner's Curse, that I had just started! Thank you so very much to Harlequin Teen for approving my request for this book! Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!

This review is gonna be as spoiler free as possible, and trust me I'm gonna try my hardest! This was one amazing book to read without knowing what was coming, and I want you all to go into it as I did. That means it'll also be a bit vague. What you might expect is some spoilers for book 2, but nothing that you wouldn't get for reading the summary for this book. If you haven't started the series, just don't read this review and go read the books!

The Forever Song has to be one of the most perfect final books in a trilogy ever. I've been lucky to get some really great final books for a series this year, but this one... Wow. I wasn't sure what to expect after that ending in The Eternity Cure, but Julie Kagawa managed to surpass any expectations I had (and those I didn't know I had)!

This books is full of heartbreak and it shakes you in a way that you don't expect. Very early on I was saying "Noooooo, that can't beeee!" out loud! And the emotional scenes and onslaught to the heart continues for all the book, one way or another. With happy emotional to heartbreak and back again. There's plenty of action and we get a few unexpected twists to the plot here and there.

Allie has lost herself to the monster inside, she refuses to feel and keeps on telling herself it's better to not care and to treat humans as bloodbags, than to acknowledge the pain that carries inside after the death of Zeke. She only has one thing in her mind: Revenge. She wants to kill Sarren and she won't mind dying in the process as long as she takes him with her. Kanin isn't happy with her new mindframe but Jackal seems to be enjoying the new attitude on his blood-sister. It's heartbreaking to see her like this, and when the change comes it's even more emotional. First tears right there.

Then, as they continue to follow Sarren's trace trying to stop him ending the world, we encounter what I'd call the biggest shock of the book. Just, wow, it broke my heart right there. Second moment of tears.

Jackal becomes the voice of reason and common sense on more than one occasion and it really makes you think of messed up things really have to be for that, aye? Aye. He's one character I love to hate, and even if he annoys me sometimes, I wouldn't want him to be any other way.

There's more heartbreak and tears along the way, with more emotional moments, thankfully not all of them on the negative side, and quite a few that are just fantastic.

The ending is perfect. Full of hope for the future, even after all the massive heartbreak and sacrifices. I might not be happy with how it came to be, but once you stop to think about it, it's really fitting for the character and perfect for the storyline to come full circle. Sad and heartbreaking, but perfect. The brightest day comes after the darkest night and that is very much true for this book.

Very much deserving of 5 or more stars. Stock on the tissues before reading!



View all my reviews

16 comments:

  1. SO EXCITED FOR THIS BOOK PILI! I know I'm going to need it with a box of tissues nearby, but I'm so glad to see that you thought it was the perfect conclusion to this trilogy. I'm not quite ready to say goodbye to these characters yet so I've been putting off reading this one, but I don't think I can wait much longer. Fabulous review!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really need to read it soon, Jenny! Even if finishing the series is bittersweet, this is a must read!

      Delete
  2. Yay! So happy you loved this last book. I'm sad to see the series end but I think Kagawa did a great job in tying up loose ends, etc. I'm sort of happy I've not read the Iron Fey series so I have that to look forward to. Great review Pili!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very sad reading that there was no more after this, but you have 4 more books and 3 novellas to look forward to in the Iron Fey series!

      Delete
  3. Agreed, it was one of the best conclusions to a series ever! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! It really was an awesome final book!

      Delete
  4. Glad that you enjoyed this one, Pili! Even though I didn't really enjoy the finale as much as I would have loved to (Zeke continued to annoy me), I can't deny the series is one of the best vamp series in YA fiction that I've ever read. And seriously, Kanin The Social Potato Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to strangle Zeke at some point too, and dear me Kanin... that was totally a feed-Julie-Kagawa's-muse moment for me!
      Thank you, Faye!

      Delete
  5. So glad to hear you enjoyed and thought it was the perfect ending. I am just now starting and liking so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope you'll enjoy it, Brandi! And I also hope I haven't spoiled anything for you!!

      Delete
  6. Aw, I'm so glad you loved this book. <3 I did too. It was just all kinds of awesome. I loved the ending as well :D But yess. Very heartbreaking. But so good as well. Sigh. Great review sweetie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, Carina! The ending was perfect and heartbreaking and totally fitting!!

      Delete
  7. I agree about everything! This book was phenomenal! I'm so glad you loved it, and now, let's hope Talon is as good as this series!
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Lis! I cannot wait to read Julie's take on dragons!!

      Delete
  8. AH!! I can't wait to read this one too!!! Although I'm sad the series is coming to an end! It's one of my favorites! I love J. Kagawa. She's just lovely, and your review is just as lovely, girly!!!! I'm glad you enjoyed it! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I cannot wait for you to read it and hear your thoughts, Becca! Just make sure you have plenty of tissues handy!
      And yep, Julie Kagawa is now in my auto-buy list!!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!