Saturday, April 26, 2014

Saturday Pages: The Iron King by Julie Kagawa!!

Hello everyone! This week for Saturday Pages I'm gonna finally start reviewing The Iron Fey series that I read back in Feb, when I was on vacation! It felt a bit odd reading this series from the beginning now since I had already spoiled myself by reading the spin-off series, The Call of The Forgotten, but I still really enjoyed the books!

This series wasn't part of my original goal for my 2014 Series Challenge, but since I finished the whole series, I decided to add it too!





The Iron King (The Iron Fey, #1)The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I started reading Julie Kagawa series in a strange order, cause the first book I read was The Lost Prince, the spin off for this series all about Ethan, and then I read The Iron Traitor and I really loved them both. So I decided that if Julie Kagawa had made me love books about faeires, I ought to check the original series, so I went on a binge read for The Iron Fey series!

On the Iron King we are introduced to Meghan Chase, a girl that has always felt a bit different from everyone, that feels like her stepfather doesn't remember she exists half the time and that adores her half brother, Ethan. She has her best friend Robbie but the rest of high school isn't a very pleasant experience. Then everything starts changing for her when Ethan is kidnapped, and she discovers she's being lied to by Robbie and that's more to her than she ever imagined!

We then travel for the first time to the Nevernever and we meet Puck properly as he is, not as his Robbie persona. We also get to meet Grimalkin (the most amazing fey version of the Chesire cat!) and we discover that Meghan is half fey and not any faery either, but a princess, much to her changrin. She ends up in the court of Summer, blundering her way about, and messing things up by being her unsubtle and headstrong self. I couldn't help but adore Meghan, even if at times I felt like telling her to watch and learn instead of just opening her mouth and running away with it!

Then she meets Ash, the Unseelie prince from the Winter court and everything changes. She suspects her brother might be taken there but then discovers that he's being kept in a new realm in the Nevernever, the realm of the Iron Fey. So Meghan decides she'll risk everything to rescue Ethan, and so she starts a quest of sort with Puck, Ash and Grimalkin to go defeat the Iron Fey and get Ethan back.

It's always an odd feeling reading a book (or in fact a whole series) when you sort of already know what happens and what doesn't in the end, even if you don't know how it did. I guess it took a lil bit of the direness of some of what was happening for me, but I absolutely loved learning so much more about the Fey and the Nevernever and meeting Puck and Grimalkin anew! Grimalkin is such a fantastic secondary character!

A very satisfying read and one that proved that yes indeed, Julie Kagawa does write Fey books that I love reading! 4 well deserved stars.



View all my reviews

14 comments:

  1. I started with the Blood of Eden series, then went back and fell in love with this one. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started with the spin off of this series, and then I've read everything by Julie Kagawa, she's awesome!

      Delete
  2. Great review sweetie. <3 I'm so glad you enjoyed this book :D I did too. <3 I adore Ash. Sigh. He's awesome, hih :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this series. I especially love Grimalkin. Every time he shows up, I smile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still have to read this series! I actually haven't read any of Julie Kagawa's books. That will definitely change with Talon! Because I'm all about those dragons ;D

    Fantastic review, Pili!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot wait for Talon either! And let me warn you, Alyssa, once you read Talon, you might end up like me after my two first Julie Kagawa books, reading anything and everything by her!
      Thank you!

      Delete
  5. I'm the same Pili, I read The Iron Traitor and Lost Prince first and haven't read these ones yet but I have heard so many good things. Lovely review!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were pretty awesome, Jeann! And it's great seeing the relationships you see all formed and settled in Iron Traitor and Lost Prince start and grow here! Also, it can help with the wait for the next book after that horrible cliffy in Iron Traitor!!!

      Delete
  6. I just ADORE THIS SERIES!! And excuse you. the Cheshire Cat was based on Grimalkin ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahahahha! Grimalkin is an improvement over any Chesire Cat! ;)

      Delete
  7. I remember reading this book way back in 2011 and loving it. I bought the sequels and the novellas and I have yet to pick them.

    It is interesting that you picked up the spinoff first and it didn't taint your read!

    Thanks for sharing! I might pick up the sequels asap now! I remember loving this so much so it won't hurt! :)

    Great review & have a great week! :)

    Alex @ The Shelf Diaries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The spin-off helped me not worry so much about the conflicts, but still managed to enjoy it a lot!
      Thanks, Alex!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!