Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Mini Reviews: Mitosis & The Boy In The Smoke!!

Hey everyone! I've said it more than once, but I really enjoy novellas, not only they can be excellent prequels to give us more information about a series we already love, but can also work as a bridge between books in a series adding some extra info, or give us a different POV from another character in a series providing more info (again).

So today I have a prequel to Maureen Johnson's Shades of London : The Boy In The Smoke and a bridge between books novella in The Reckoner's trilogy by Brandon Sanderson: Mitosis.


The Boy in the SmokeThe Boy in the Smoke by Maureen Johnson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I have the Shades of London series in my list for my Series challenge and I decided that I ought to start with the shorter book that is also the beginning.

This novella starts in a very prosaic way, with the story of Stephen, a boy of a wealthy family that is ignored by his parents. He wants to be a policeman and do something useful but since he's always been a good boy and do what he's supposed to, he ends up going to Eton and continue to be ignored by his parents.

There are some big issues dealt with here and all done in a very sensible way, nothing crass or cheap. Absent & cold parents, drug addictions, suicide attempts... it all weaves into the story to make Stephen the boy in the smoke. By the end is when we get an glimpse of what else might be there for this series, and this is quite a fantastic setting stone. Well deserved 4 stars.





Mitosis (Reckoners, #1.5)Mitosis by Brandon Sanderson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Mitosis is a short story set after Steelheart. David and the Reckoners are helping Newcago to get some semblance of normalcy, even if people are still waiting "for the other shoe to drop". But that doesn't mean other Epics won't try and take Newcago for themselves, but it seems the Reckoners won't be alone in the fight this time.

While this is a very short story, there are hints as to how to figure out the weaknesses of Epics, and we see that the Reckoners are changing things, not just killing Epics.



View all my reviews

8 comments:

  1. I have heard AMAZING things about Steelheart Pili, I really want to read that one! I haven't read anything by Brandon Sanderson and I think it's definitely time to change that! I didn't know there was a prequel to the Shades of London series, that's good to know! That's another series I'm hoping to get to. There's just so many I want to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steelheart was awesome! I loved it and it was also my first something by Brandon Sanderson.
      The Shades of London is a very cool series, but you can leave it pending till late this year since the final book doesn't come out till next year, and the ending is a bit evil!
      Too many books, too little time!

      Delete
  2. I did not know that MJ wrote a prequel novella! Guess I learned something new today :-P

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found about it on Twitter when Maureen tweeted a negative review of a father angry cause something the novella deals with (bullshit complain in my opinion though).

      Delete
  3. I had no idea either of those series' had novellas. I think I might have to read MJ's prequel novellas so I could get myself back into that series. As for Steelheart, I still have to read but I love the title of the novella! Great reviews Pili!

    -Mari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to real Steelhear, P.E.! And the novellas are always great to check out a series or get in the mood for them again!

      Delete
  4. The Shades of London series has been on my tbr since the week it came out. I bought it and I never read it. I will have to take a peep at the prequel since you gave it such a good review! :)

    Thanks for sharing and have a great week hun! (or what is left of it;D)

    Alex @ The Shelf Diaries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Alex, you really ought to start reading the Shades of London series!
      Have a great rest of the week and weekend too!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!