Monday, April 14, 2014

Mark This Book Monday: Champion by Marie Lu!!

This week's Mark This Book Monday starts with a review for the final book of a series that I binge read during my vacation time. And I'm glad that after waiting for a while, I finally read this series!

As with the previous books of the series, it is part of two of challenges: the 2014 Series Challenge and the Dystopian Reading Challenge 2014!






Champion (Legend, #3)Champion by Marie Lu

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Reading a trilogy back to back is always a fantastic experience and this time it was not an exception. As this is the final book I will do my best to keep the review as spoiler free as possible but you can expect some spoilers from the previous books.

Since Prodigy ended in such an emotional wrenching way, I started Champion hoping to get some hope to the rather bleak prospects we were left with, but things started getting even worse soon. Day and June are again separated and reading each other's POVs with the knowledge that one has and the other hasn't... it is hard to read.

Then Day is called back to the capital to help save the Republic, and he finds out that things in a very bad situation for the Republic, and know that he knows the Colonies are not the utopia he once thought... he will try whatever is in his power to help save the Republic so it can be changed from within.

Champion is full of emotional crippling moments, neck-breaking action and a lot of political maneuvers. The political bits felt the less interesting of the lot, even if I enjoyed the visit to Antarctica since it expanded our knowledge of the world. I was happy when June left her Princeps post and started working as a field operative again, because that clearly was when she felt the most comfortable.

The final chapter was very hard to read, I kept on thinking that it was too cruel to end like that, after all the fight and all the suffering... And then we get the epilogue that made me cry some more and also left me with a heart full of hope and all the warm fuzzy feelings!

A very fitting ending for this series, even if all the political bits were not my favourite, this is still a very solid book to end a great dystopian series. Well deserved 4 stars!



View all my reviews

4 comments:

  1. Great review sweetie. <3 I loved this book as well. Except that I HATED the ending. Really, truly hated it. Not going to spoil it here, but yeah. It was awful for me. I hate when things like that happens in books. Just.. not okay for me :\ Anyway. I'm glad you liked this book. <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ending was emotionally wrecking but the epilogue was so full of hope!

      Delete
  2. I'm SCARED LIKE HELL of that ending!!! (sorry for screaming, I can't help it). I mean... woah, seriosly... I had to "schedule it" for tomorrow to be able to read it.
    So, thank you, thank you very much for telling the epilogue is full of hope... maybe that way I won't die right then.
    I'm so glad you liked it!
    Happy reading!
    (and thank you again!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a tough ending, and I cried! But the epilogue had hope enough to make it better!
      I cannot wait to hear what you think of the book!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!