Monday, September 29, 2014

Mark This Book Monday: Unmade by Sarah Rees Brennan!!

Hello guys!!

Sorry for the silence yesterday and the lack of Showcase Sunday post, but I decided to take a day off the blog for my birthday! So far I haven't got many presents, but I've been told to get myself something I want, so now I'm debating to get a regular Kindle or a Paperwhite, so I don't read all the books on the tablet to protect my eyes for the future... any recommendations??

Monday is here once again and with it a new week and a new Mark This Book Monday entry! Today I'm entering my second and last entry for the September is for Sequels challenge, and once again it was not one of the original pile that I challenged myself to read, so I must announce I've failed massively at it! Oh well... I still hope to read those in October before I leave for my vacation!





Unmade (The Lynburn Legacy Book 3)Unmade by Sarah Rees Brennan

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


If there is something you know before hand when reading a Sarah Rees Brennan book is that it's quite likely to make you cry and destroy your heart bit by bit, and in case you don't, you know now and forewarned is forearmed, even if it really won't help you one bit, trust me.

Just one word of warning before you continue reading this review, since I'm gonna be discussing my feelings about the book I cannot guarantee that it'll be completely spoiler free, so read at your own risk.

Every previous book in the trilogy ended with an awfull cliffhanger and so when I started this one I felt I could pass pages fast enough to see what would became of Jared and like Kami, help hope tight and hoped for the best.

Kami has to be one of my favourite YA heroines, she tries so hard, loves so much, won't take no for an answer and goes on for those she loves no matter what. She's also super witty and hilarious and I have been rooting for her since book one! I love how she's grown little by little through all three books and how she finds herself that being scared and being brave is not incompatible, not only when facing evil sorcerers but also when facing her own feelings.

Kami's family has gained relevance to the main plot exponentially and in this one both her dad, that has her same hilarious sense of humour, but her mum's choices and her brothers are put in the very eye of the storm. I loved how real the strain in her parents relationship felt and how real the patching up of said relationship went.

Then we have Angela and Rusty and Holly... those three were Kami's not related by blood family and helped her and supported her through and through, even if I completely disagree with some of their choices and heroics and it broke my heart and my poor Angela!!

And then there are Jared and Ash... the Lynburn boys, maybe brothers, and their rather complex relationship and even more complex relationship with Kami, as sorcerers and source and linked and not linked and goodness the about of grief these three caused me on this book! I'll only say my ship became canon, I'm very happy and I really cried with the epilogue!

Lillian was quite a surprise in this book, I always felt like she was the lesser of two evils but in this book we see her progressing from that to something and someone more akin to good, and not just the "anything is better than Rob" option. I loved her choosing her side, learning to show some love to both boys and her facing Rob was quite epic!

Rob is clearly a mad evil force in this one, but one that is even more evil and mad than I or the characters even expected. I really hate his declarations of supreme love to Lillian and dismissing her feelings as if they didn't count... but glad that his superiority and arrogance, and the sacrifices of many, were what led to his doom.

I enjoyed the book and felt the pacing was quite good, fighting for their lives, plotting to try to stay alive, protect each other and free the town from the evil sorcerers but since we could be dead tomorrow, there are also loads of very emotionally charged scenes. Chapter 19 and the Epilogue really made me sob for very different reasons and I'm quite in love with the way the series has finished, even if I'm not happy about the deaths. Very well deserved 4 stars for this one!



View all my reviews

6 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday, Pili! I hope you had a wonderful time. I actually had a Kindle 4th gen, but I mostly read in the dark so I ordered a Paperwhite as well, even though Ferguson (the 4th gen) was fully functional and now I have both. Neruda (that would be the paperwhite) is the best decision I've made in years. He's good for my eyes and I can read him anywhere.

    As for the book, SRB's books just don't work for me, I'm afraid. Too much angst, and I don't handle that well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you named your Kindles!! And your opinion has probably convinced me to get the paperwhite, I NEED to be able to read in the dark! Thank you, Maja!!

      Delete
  2. Deaths? Plural? I don't like the sound of that Pili! I like all my beloved characters to be alive and well in the end no matter how unrealistic that is! I can't help it. I need an HEA full of sunshine and rainbows ;-) Glad this series was a winner for you even if it ripped your heart and stomped on it along the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it helps you feel better, only one of the deaths really made me cry and I was expecting the book to be even more cruel so it was all rainbows and puppies, mostly!

      Delete
  3. Great review Pili. <3 I'm glad you enjoyed this book :D I.. have not started this series. But I own them all. But sigh. Not happy with my peeking :( so probably not reading these books. Maybe one day :) Anyway. Thank you for sharing sweetie. <3 Aaaalso. You should get an iPad :D I do all my eARC reading on it. <3 the Kindle is pretty, but my iPad is better. <3 (use the Kindle app.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the Kindle app on my tablet but I want something that will give me eyes a break, even if right now my eyes don't get tired, the bright screen will end up being bad for eyes in time, so that's why I'm looking to buy a Kindle!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!