Monday, September 8, 2014

Mark This Book Monday: ARC Review of The Iron Trial by Cassandra Clare and Holly Black!

For second and final Mark This Book Monday I have another ARC review, but I was approved for this one on Netgalley by Random House UK (thank you!!) and it releases tomorrow in the US and on Thursday in UK!

As an ARC, I also count it towards my 2014 Review Pile Reading Challenge and I hope it'll help to move my ratio upwards on NG!





The Iron TrialThe Iron Trial by Holly Black

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


When I first requested this book I wasn't entirely sure I'd be approved for it, so thank you so very much Random House UK for the approval on Netgalley!

I was quite intrigued about this book cause it was co-written by Cassandra Clare and Holly Black and though I really like (some even love) Cassandra Clare books, I've never read anything by Holly black, so I was intrigued by the story and the writing style!

I read some reviews that said the similarities to Harry Potter turned them off the book, and I can understand how on the surface it can be similar, mainly because who can read anything about a school for magic and not think Hogwarts? But, even if I was reminded about Harry Potter on occasion, I felt that there were well enough differences to keep the book fresh as it is. I just don't advise reading it back to back after reading HP!

Callum is our main character and he has got magical powers and has always known that he would be tested to be taken to the Magisterium (school for magic) but he has been told repeatedly by his father that the mages are evil, that the Magisterium is the most dangerous place in the world and that he needs to flop the exam to avoid going there and remain home with him. Callum's dad is/was a mage, so he's either right about things or up to something and witholding information to boot.

But Callum gets in and we enter this quite interesting world of magic with an underground school, students "leveling up" with metal bracelets for each year, personalized lessons in very small groups (seems like 3 might be the usual number) with a mage that will be your teacher and mentor during your stay at the Magisterium. The way the authors described the Magisterium and the rules of this world was very visual and engaging and unique. The three students end up as fast friends after some trouble might have seemed a bit familiar, but trouble either unites people or tear them apart, so it's not unusual to appear in books.

The notion of the different kinds of magic and of the Enemy of Death as the bad guy they're fighting against was also one that although at first look might have seemed familiar it was quickly flipped on its feet and managed to surprise me. Actually the book took a few detours from the easily expected that were quite cool and very much welcome, so keep this in mind, even if it seems the book might go on typical and well trodden roads... it really won't!

So very much deserved 3.5 stars and I'm quite curious where the next book will go and I'm gonna be expecting the unexpected!



View all my reviews

16 comments:

  1. I haven't read anything by Holly Black either Pili, but I've heard good things and am hoping to read something of hers soon! Despite the initial similarities to Hogwarts, I'm glad this book quickly took it's own course and became something quite different from Harry Potter. Hope the next book is as full of surprises as this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am even more curious now, so I'll probably be reading The Coldest Girl In Cold Town by her cause it's been in my TBR list forever!
      Thank you Jenny!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you liked it! I'm still undecided on this story because I haven't liked Clare's recent work, and Holly Black's stories have either been stories I really like or find boring. I still love the idea of a magical school :p

    -P.E. @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do, keep in mind that any similarities are very superficial! Thank you, P.E.!

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed it too Pili! I thought for sure the HP similarities would really frustrate me but oddly enough they didn't. I saw them for sure but it was still a fast paced, fun read. I sadly saw the big twist coming but still liked it and will read the next book. So happy you liked it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was pretty sure it'd bug me too, but it didn't, at least not as much when I saw when things went differently enough...

      Delete
  4. I love these two authors! I don't read this kind of book, but I might give it a try just for them.
    Great review, Pili!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love both authors, I say give it a try, Lis!

      Delete
  5. Originality is big on my wishlist as far as paranormals are concerned, because I've read SO many of them, so it's hard to surprise me. I like that this novel features a different kind of magic, and the detours sound fun, although its similarities to Harry Potter are a bit of a turn off. I'm glad to hear that that con wasn't too overwhelming, and didn't detract overly much from the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there were some similarities but nothing that ended up too bothersome for me.
      Thank you Carmel!

      Delete
  6. These days, it's easy enough to draw similarities between anything and anything else, it's just the nature of popular literature. The foundation is always very much the same. However, I admire both these authors very much and I can't wait to give them a chance. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was original enough in the end and that's what counts!

      Delete
  7. Oh, three stars, that's kind of meh for me. I have an ARC of this one but meehhhh, it's not for review, so I don't care to read it. I'm not the biggest Black or Clare fan, honestly. I think I will pass! Excellent review, Pili!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, yay :D I'm glad you enjoyed this one, Pili. <3 Though sorry you didn't love it :\ Sigh. I have been dying forever to read it, hih, so I'm crossing my fingers that I will love it :) It do sound so so awesome. <3 thank you for sharing sweetie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very good read sweetie! And I really hope you'll love it to bits! Cannot wait to hear what you think! =D
      Thank you!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!