Thursday, June 12, 2014

Ink & Batter #6: The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski!!


Happy Thursday everyone! Welcome to a new edition of Ink & Batter!

This week's cupcakes are inspired by one amazing book with one hell of a beautiful cover, and as much as I've tried, I don't think I've done justice to the absolute beauty that is The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski!

As Becca had already done a version of this stunning cover for her Cover Puppies, she's doing a different cover this week, but do check Gentry being as gorgeous as Krestel HERE! Puppies in dresses for the win!




Since I was already making red velvet mini-cupcakes to test the recipe for my friend's wedding, I thought they'd be perfect for the colour scheme of the book and chose brown lines to match the cover since the base is brown flooring. And I did my best to give the impression of the dress with the coloured icing!


















I had quite a few ideas for decorations to make for these (like the piano, the daggers and the Bite & Sting tiles) but I asked Marie on Twitter and she asked her followers in turn, so some of these are also their suggestions, like the boat! I also tried hand modeling a krestel, but making birds of prey is out of my abilities!

The daggers & tiles, along with the piano and notes are for Krestel; the scroll horseshoe & hammer are for Arin's stint as slave blacksmith; the boat, anchor and rope for Krestel's escape; the wine cup and tie are for the party that started it all; and the sword and money bag for both the money that bought Arin and the one that saved Kestrel and swords that started the rebellion.

I hope you'll love these cupcakes, guys! I tweeted a sneak peek of them a while back and Marie said she loved them, so I'm beyond happy!

Next week I'll be back with more book inspired cupcakes, so stay tuned for even more Ink & Batter, guys!

30 comments:

  1. Pili!!!!! Your cupcakes just keep getting prettier! I LOVE these! They're all stunning, but I particularly love the dagger one, it fits the cover so well:) Can't wait to see what gorgeous thinks you bake up next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sooooo much, Jenny!!! I'm already plotting new recipes!! I'm gonna be baking this weekend for more recipes & posts!! ;)

      Delete
  2. I love your Ink and Batter posts!!! I have yet to read this book, but want to so bad. Beautiful cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you have to, Lisa! It's an amazing book!!
      Thank you!!

      Delete
  3. Again, these look so nice, too pretty to eat! Who destroys this after you're done shooting? :D Great job as always ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ula! One of my besties got these as her birthday present! ;)

      Delete
  4. You've topped yourself, again, and yes, you do the cover justice! I love how the colors in the icing swirl together. They look like roses. I think my favorites might be the sword and the dagger, only because you don't normally expect to see them on pretty cupcakes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome cupcakes yet again, Pili! I love them so much :) I totally got the WINNER'S CURSE vibe from it. I especially love the last one! Look at the details of that goblet and how it seems to sparkle! Great job again, Pili!!! :D :D Can you come to the Philippines now and make some for the booknerds here? Ahihihi <3

    Faye at The Social Potato Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've just given me an idea, Faye! I'll travel the world paying with my cupcakes for lodge and food! ;)
      Thanks a lot!!

      Delete
  6. The gorgeous cupcakes aside, those fondant decorations are beautiful Pili! They are so detailed and so beautifully articulated.. I am just staring at them with an open mouth...

    I have absolutely no idea how you do it, Pili! You're so gosh-darn talented! I wish you'd move here just so I could come over and then you could fatten me up ^_^

    Thank you for sharing these with us as always :)

    Rashika @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Rashika!
      Playing with fondant is a way to relax and de-stress for me, and many things can be done with special molds, cutters and whatever modelling ability you might have!
      I wish I could have you has next door neighbour to swap books, ARCs and have you eat all the cupcakes so I could make more!!

      Delete
  7. You are so good at these! :) You have done it again!

    The details on these are so beautiful!

    The music themed one is wonderful. The piano and the music notes are so well done! :)

    Thanks for sharing lovely! :D xxx


    Alex @ The Shelf Diaries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Alex!! =D
      Molds and cutters help a lot when my hands aren't deft enough too! ;)

      Delete
  8. Do you know that your pictures are bad for my wasteline!? They set off my sweet tooth something fierce! These are beautiful. i love the swirled frosting too but thats the norm for u girl! and how great is cover puppies I think its my new fav feature!
    <3 Britt @ please feed the bookworm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry not sorry! ;) Thank you Britt!
      And isn't it super brilliant and adorable?? Becca is so talented! Thursdays have to be my fave days cause I share my cupcakes and I get to see what new amazingness she's made with her pups!

      Delete
  9. I LOVEEEEEE this book so much and these cupcakes are so perfect! I STILL don't understand how you do all this!! Oh my gosh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nikki!! So happy to hear you love them all!! =D

      Delete
  10. The knife, I love it! All of these are really well-decorated! Perfect cupcakes for a perfect book :D

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *grins widely* So happy to hear you love them! Thanks Alyssa!

      Delete
  11. Oh my goodness, Pili!!! These are SO dang creative! I loved The Winner's Curse, and I bet I'd love to nom on those pretty cupcakes, too! You have some great talent, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sooo much Melissa!! =D They were pretty yummy too, btw! ;)

      Delete
  12. Oh my gosh, Pili! The dagger! Bite and Sting! That is my absolute favorite one. I like the wine one, too! Wow. You did a wonderful job of matching the colors to the cover and picking out items from the book. Love it, love it, love it. And obviously, I love this feature.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Wendy! I'm so happy to hear you think I did justice to this stunning cover!

      Delete
  13. I am kind of in awe right now. More than "kind of" actually. WELL DONE. And also, way to multitask ;) Great post!

    Jessica @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, how I love this. Thank you so much for making and sharing sweetie :D I LOVE THEM. This book is perfect, hih. <3 And these cupcakes fit so well with the story :) Sigh. Perfect. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! Thank you so much sweetie! I'm so happy you loved them! =D

      Delete
  15. You are so talented! The cupcakes look amazing (and very, very yummy). :)

    ReplyDelete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!