Monday, February 10, 2014

Mark This Book Monday: Mini reviews for Stolen by Erin Bowman and The Guard by Kiera Cass!

I'm starting this week's Mark This Book Monday with a pair of novellas. I am quite fond of novellas because, if done well, novellas can be quite satisfactory and quick reads when you want to read a complete story but are feeling restless enough that you don't want to read a full lenght book!

These two are part of two dystopian series that I'm quite keen on, so reading these help you tide till the next book! Since they are dystopians they'll count towards my Dystopian Reading Challenge 2014 once I read another 3 novellas, to count as one book!




Stolen (Taken, #0.5)Stolen by Erin Bowman

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Stolen is chronologically happening before Taken, but somehow I think it'd make more sense to read it after reading Taken. Mostly because at the end we get a peek at events happening in Taken and it'd be better to go at those un-spoiled. Beware if you haven't read Taken, cause I might refer to some spoilery happenings in this review.

Stolen is Bree's story in her home, Saltwater. We discover a different Bree from the one we met in Taken, but this was before she was "snatched" and we learn about so many events that shaped her and made her who she is. I wasn't the biggest fan of Bree in Taken, but after reading this, she has become a firm favourite character for me. Bree doesn't have it easy in Saltwater, survival is tough maybe a lil tougher than in Claysoot even, but life is also shaped by the Snatchings and the ones taken away and those who are left behind.

I don't want to talk about all the story much cause I think it's best if you just read enjoy discovering a new and different Bree. One that is already brave and cares for those she considers family, one that is tough but continues getting tougher but also one that isn't that afraid of what's to come, and one that learns how to hope there will be something more after the Snatching.

We also get a sneak peek at Frozen at the end of Stolen and that made me excited again to finally get to read it! And I'm also pretty sure I will love reading about Bree much more than I would have before!

4 stars for a novella that gave us a better perspective into Bree and also helped us see the world in Taken with better perspective.


The Guard (The Selection #2.5)The Guard by Kiera Cass

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


The Guard is a small novella with Aspen's POV during The Elite. Somehow I feel we knew Aspen better and so this novella has a lil less impact than The Prince. We also know more about the world and the royal family per se, so we don't get as many interesting revelations towards the story.

Still, this is a necessary novella cause it brings balance in POVs, since we already had Maxon's. It was nice to get a different look at the events happening at the palace from someone who only cares about America and sees her as she was before and is discovering how she grows and loves her for it. Still, this novella needs to be read after reading The Elite, cause there are some gaps in the story that can only be understood if you already know the events happening there.

All in all, 3 to 3.5 stars for this one.



View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. Great reviews sweetie. <3 I'm glad you mostly enjoyed them both. I kind of hated Taken, though, I won't read that short story :\ But glad you are enjoying the series :)

    ReplyDelete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!