Monday, February 24, 2014

Mark This Book Monday: Cress!!

This week's Mark This Book Monday was once again, one of those very awaited books in an ongoing series, but not the final book. It's also part of my list for the Dystopian Reading Challenge 2014!




Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3)Cress by Marissa Meyer

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I'm not the biggest fan of retellings but when they come on the shape of science fiction/dystopian books and they're done the way Marissa Meyer does them... I just adore them!

I fell in love with the concept and the stories of The Lunar Chronicles when I read Cinder and was very much reinforced on it after reading Scarlet, and now reading Cress... well, this is just an absolute favourite series of mine!

Every book in this series introduces us to a new character or set of characters and this time we are meeting a new version of Rapuntzel. A girl that is brilliant and a hacker and lives isolated in a satellite. She has been helping Cinder before, and she can be a big asset to the team of cyborg Lunar heir, genetically modified Lunar super soldier gone rogue, French girl, charming pirate Captain and more human than robot ship.

Action starts pretty soon and not only that, everything goes not quite as planned, so the team gets split apart all of them in some sort of mortal danger or another. For me, Cress didn't really have many if any dull moments, though I must say I was counting down the pages till everyone could be reunited! It's pretty full of action, character development and some unexpected revelations. By the second half of the book, Cinder has decided to stop running and take the initiative, so they make a crazy plan and go for it!

There are quite a few emotional moments here, and the way Cress is crushing on Thorne is quite adorable. We also discover Thorne is neither as bad as he thinks he is (and most people would think too, I must confess there was a moment when I also thought the worst of him and then it seemed that he was being thoughtful and considerate and wanted to help our dear Iko!) nor as good as Cress has made him seem in her mind. It was something different seeing their relationship evolve and I'm really looking forward to see how it progresses in the next book! Scarlet and Wolf are separated and they don't get as much time in this book, but Scarlet has an encounter with Winter, and it was bizarre, puzzling and very intriguing! Wolf was behaving quite oddly and moody, but some of his behaviours were a bit like those of a dog that has lost his owner, and that is sort of fitting.

Cress was a fantastic read, with plenty of twists, action, new developments and that leaves us really looking forward impatiently for the next book! Can't wait for Winter now! Very much deserved 5 stars!



View all my reviews

5 comments:

  1. Oh yay! I'm so glad you loved this one! I'm just waiting for my copy to arrive. But I think I can't wait any longer!
    It sounds fantastic! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, glad you loved this book Pili! One of the best books I have read this year. Your comparison for Wolf is spot on! Can't wait for Winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being introduced to Winter as we were... I'm so dying to read the last book, Jeann!

      Delete
  3. Great review Pili :) I'm so so glad that you loved Cress. <3 It was just amazing, wasn't it? Sigh. So good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed Cinder, but never read Scarlet! Or Cress, for that matter. I doubt I'll continue with the series - it has nothing to do with the books themselves. I think it's because the series is really long, and the wait is long, and while I'm waiting, I tend to lose interest, especially if I wasn't solidly invested in the book (like the case with Cinder, even if I enjoyed it). I'm glad to see that you are behind this series and the author! The fandom is huge, with this series :D

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!