Monday, July 15, 2013

Mark This Book Monday: Star Cursed by Jessica Spotswood!

Here comes the second Mark This Book Monday of the day. This book took me on an absolute emotional rollercoaster from anger to heartbreak and everything in between.


Star Cursed by Jessica Spotswood.



Star Cursed is the second book on the Cahill Witches series and as usual when reviewing a book that is part of a series, it is hard to keep spoilers from previous books to pop up here and there. So be warned, there might be spoilers for Born Wicked here and there. And it might contain some spoilers for this book itself too, although I will try my best to keep them to a minimum!

I have a confession to make about this book, it took me over a week to read it. Was it not engaging enough? Did it bore me at any point? Nope, those are not the reasons. The reasons can be quite the opposite, I was becoming so involved emotionally with the book, I kept on needing breathers here and there to deal with the righteous anger that kept grabbing me by the throat.

Cate is at the Sisterhood now and everyone thinks she's the prophesied witch that will get rid of the Brotherhood and will return the Daughters of Persephone to their right place. Cate is not adapting well to her new life, it was not a choice she wanted to make and she's still fighting it during the first part of the book.

Star Cursed doesn't have a middle book syndrome at all. Born Wicked was just setting up the stage and in this book things do start happening, and the stakes keep on getting higher. The Brotherhood keeps on getting more and more oppressive and the Sisterhood needs to decide on how to react, all out war consequences be damned, or find another way to stop them. Cate is caught in between the power grapples of the Sisterhood and once Tess and Maura join her at the Sisterhood, things just get even more complicated.

Maura, oh my, Maura has the biggest case of middle child syndrome ever! And even if my geek will be showing here, she also has a case of Anakin Skywalker's path to the Dark Side cause "Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering..." I just hope that she doesn't completely blind herself to consequences and ends up the witchy version of Darth Vader...

The ending of the book is a cliffhanger, yes, one heck of a heartwrenching, mind-boggling, how the hell could that happen? sort of a cliffhanger. The one that will leave you rocking on a corner while the world goes on not acknowledging your emotional trauma. I'm sure book 3 will will raise the stakes even more, and I'm hoping there will be a way to fix what happend at the end of book 2!

Very well deserved 4 stars for this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!