Monday, December 15, 2014

Mark This Book Monday: Wicked by Jennifer L Armentrout!!

Hey there guys.

The blog has been a little silent this past week, but my brain has been rather wacked since last Tuesday for family reasons. My favourite aunt was fighting cancer for the last few months and over the past week she took a turn for the worst and died on Friday. My days off work were spent grieving and with my family instead of reading and relaxing as I had planned.

But I need to get back to a somewhat regular schedule and getting the blog somewhat back in shape, so for today I have a new Mark This Book Monday review. This one was one of those new releases that I just had to read as soon as I got it!



Wicked (A Wicked Saga, #1)Wicked by Jennifer L. Armentrout

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Another page turner from JLA! Steamy, full of awesome banter and a nice twist on Fae mythology!

I got to read the first 8 chapters early as the author were posting them on Wattpad and then as soon as my preorder downloaded at midnight, I started reading it and finished it that very same night!

Ivy is a great character and I loved how she was both kick arse and vulnerable, had some secrets in her past that shaped who she was but kept on trying to move forward and not settle only with the path of the Order.

Ren is one swoony character, he's part nice guy part, cocky bastard in the best of ways. He had his moments of being a lil irritating but never in a really angering way, and he had some really disarming cute moments. He was also extremely alluring and reading the chemistry between him and Ivy was fantastic to read!

Tink was an interesting character, since at first it seems more a comic relief than anything else, but by the end of the book we get the feeling there's more to him than just that, and I'm pretty sure that'll be expanded in the next book too.

I loved the idea of the Order being Fae hunters in secret and I found the idea of Fae myth and the way it was tweaked for the book very intriguing,it's basically the same but with some twists here and there that ended up being at the core of the whole book and the climax! There were some surprising revelations, some that I kinda saw coming, but we're still left with unexplained motivations, which I'm quite eager to learn about in the next book.

This book is NA give the fact that the characters are in college age, and Ivy is actually trying to get through college while being a Fae hunter and also because there are more mature scenes and situations and that includes sex. And boy, Jennifer L Armentrout does know how to write steamy scence!

Very well deserved 4 stars for this one, and once again JLA has managed to start another series I'm gonna be pinning after!



View all my reviews

22 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your aunt, Pili. *hugs* I've only read one of JLA's adult paranormals, and I didn't care for it overly much, but after seeing all of the love that Wicked has been getting, I'm thinking that I need to try her NA. Lovely review!

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carmel.
      I haven't read any of JLA's adult paranormals, I've only read her YA's and I'm quite a fan of those!

      Delete
  2. Pili, I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt. My thoughts are with you and your family.
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry about your Aunt Pili. I hate that both our families are dealing with loss right now :-( It's been such a rough time- I hope we can both start feeling okay again soon.

    I've heard good things about this JLA book. I've only read a small part of one of her NA's and wasn't crazy about it. It had a contemp backdrop so I bet if enjoy this one more. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Kristen dear... sending loads of hugs and positive thoughts your way.

      I haven't read any of her contemp NA, but this one I liked it a lot!

      Delete
  4. Oh no Pili! I'm so sorry about your aunt! D: *gives you hug*
    Omygoshhhhhh. Ren sounds so swoony and I definitely want to meet him so bad. *squeals*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ri.

      And yes Ren is a swoony guy you need to meet! ;)

      Delete
  5. I'm so very sorry to hear about your aunt Pili, my sincerest condolences.

    I'm glad this story was a winner for you though, I can't wait to get my hands on a copy. Yes to steamy scenes ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny, it's been a few tough days.

      And yes, you need to read this one Jenny!

      Delete
  6. So sorry to hear the news, my condolences *hugs

    I need to get my hands on a copy of this. Fae hunters and swoony guy sounds excellent! I hope there's no cliffhanger and thanks for the review Pili~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen.

      As for the cliffy... well, there's a bit of a whaaaaat moment, but not a too horrible cliffy!

      Delete
  7. I'm a bit scared of the Fae, ever since the Fever series, but I do love JLA's sense of humor and her dialogues. She's the best at writing banter between her characters. I guess I should give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, she writes amazing banter and the chemistry between the main characters was fantastic!
      I hope you'll read it and like it, Maja!

      Delete
  8. I loved it soo so much too! Ren was definitely swoon worthy and I fell in love with him right along with Ivy. JLA is just amazing:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I think I was swooning and irritated right along with Ivy!!

      Delete
  9. I'm so sorry Pili :( Last I heard about your aunt on Twitter, she only got recently diagnosed :( My sincere condolences!!

    In any case, do you think this book is written a lot differently from Armentrout's other books? From what I read from other blogs, many think her books feel the same, and I was wondering if this one isn't so I could try this one myself! :D

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, she only lived 6 months after being diagnosed... sometimes cancer is a real bitch.

      And this one felt more different when reading from her other books, I remember reading her gargoyle series and thinking that the guys felt too similar to the guys from Covenant or Lux, but not this time, I didn't get that feeling when reading! So yeah, give this one a try!

      Delete
  10. HUGS :( I'm so so sorry about your aunt sweetie. <3 I hope you are doing okay. You are the best. And just take your time coming back to blogging; no rush. <3 Anyway. Amazing review Pili :D I'm so glad you enjoyed this book. The cover is so stunning. I'm not sure if it is for me, but maybe one day ;p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweetie! *hugs*

      I'm hanging in there, keeping busy!

      Delete
  11. My condolences! I hadn't realized that she passed - I knew you said she was not doing well :/ *hugs*

    In terms of Wicked... I'm glad you enjoyed this one! I'll definitely be reading it at some point. Glad you enjoyed it!!

    Again, my condolences! My fault for being so out of it, in terms of communication O_O Stay strong, lady!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry sweetie, you have been so damned busy!! Finals, being sick... *hugs* I'm hanging in there.
      And yeah, I highly recommend you read this one, Ren is a guy to read about!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!