Monday, October 7, 2013

Mark This Book Monday: ARC Review of Resist by Sarah Crossan!

The last Mark This Book Monday of this week is an ARC of the final book of a dystopian duology about a world without trees.


ResistResist by Sarah Crossan

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Resist is the final book on the Breathe duology and I was lucky enough to get an ARC from NetGalley for review. As always, there might be some spoilers for Breathe but I'll try my best to make sure there are no spoilers for Resist in this review.

The books starts right where Breathe left us, with what's left of the inhabitants of The Grove trying to get to Sequoia, the last known bastion of the Resistance and with the situation inside the Pod being unstable and the government tightening up their rule.

Resist is told from different POV's again, and though it makes sense to keep on changing to show where everyone is and what is happening to all the characters, it felt a bit jumpy at times. The voices of each of the characters felt distinctive enough for me not to be confused while reading and I didn't feel like skipping any POV's since all held important information. Quinn and Bea have quite a bit of character growth, he's no longer acting like a pampered boy trying to play at changing things but is actually trying to be better and make a change, and Bea despite having to deal with many ugly things she becomes stronger and more capable as the book progresses, there won't be any more victimism from her and she'll deal with everything in her own terms.

Sequoia is not what the remnants of the Resistance expected and the leader of it has her own wacky ideas and demands no less obedience and control than at the Pod, and when Alina, Silas and the rest are faced with the ugly truth, they have to leave and try to make their own place and revolution, since no other options out there are the perfect solution for them.

Ronan is a character that I didn't care for much in Breathe, but he becomes a much more interesting guy in Resist, trying to come to terms with his past actions and making his own choices. In a way his journey is somewhat similar to Quinn's but without the loss of status that Quinn had, so he can be an insider help and a big instigator.

Most of the book is a build up to the final climax and battle for the Pod and for change, for a chance to turn what exists into something better but the final battle and resolution just felt a little too fast for me.

Resist was a quick read, enjoyable but it felt like it didn't completely grabbed me. A 3 star read for me.



View all my reviews

7 comments:

  1. I've heard mixed things about this book Pili and I'm glad you were honest! I haven't read Breathe either, but I think I am interested enough about it. Too bad it didn't grab you, thanks for the honest review!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeann! I usually focus on the good stuff from everything that I read, but being honest about what I liked and what didn't work for me is also very important to me!

      Delete
  2. I can relate on not being a fan of an ending with a quick resolution. If I spend a chunk of my life reading a book, I want a decent payoff at the end. I always feel a little dissatisfied when the ending is just a brief "Okay, everything's okay now." I love it that you don't sugar coat your opinion about that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Holly! I believe in being nice and truthful about things!

      Delete
  3. Thank you, Aman!
    Both books have a very unique idea, but somehow something in them failed to really grab me, hopefully they'll work better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I will read this series. Though the covers are pretty awesome, hih :D Thank you for sharing. <3 I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it more, but glad you didn't really hate it either ;p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the covers are really pretty but the books are adecuate, not great!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!