Friday, October 4, 2013

Friday Reads: Not A Drop To Drink by Mindy McGinnis!!!

For starters in this week's Friday Reads I have one of my most anticipated books of this year and quite a brilliant debut!


Not a Drop to DrinkNot a Drop to Drink by Mindy McGinnis

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Not A Drop To Drink has been one of my most anticipated books of this year and I'm extremely pleased to say that it has not only not dissapointed me but has exceeded my expectations!

This not a dystopian or postapocalytpic book per se, maybe a bit postapocalytpic, but not the big-crash-happened sort, mostly is a very disturbingly-probable-scenario-in-the-future.

I'm gonna be trying my best to not spoil the story in any way, even if I'd love to discuss and dissect the book and share all its wonders, but I still think this is a book better enjoyed with just enough information.

Water is scarce, a very precious resource that must be protected at all costs, that is what Lynn's mother always taught her and that's the only reality that Lynn ever had. Life is harsh, surviving is not easy even less for two women living alone, not even if they are alert, aware and armed.

The world the author builds in here feels so realistic, so possible that it's actually scary. It's a world were people are trying to survive and that doesn't always bring out the best in humanity and Mindy doesn't pull any punches on her story, so be ready to deal with very ugly sides of humanity and very emotional scenes.

The main character, Lynn, has always learnt hard lessons from her mother and she taught her how to survive, how to keep her pond safe and how not to trust anyone coming to the pond. She raised Lynn has a hard character, with very little empathy for other people hardships or situations, focused only on her tasks and the lessons from her mother. After her mother is gone she learns many other lessons, not less hard but that make her character grow and change without changing who she is really. She learns to look further than her pond and her world, learns that there is more to life than just surviving and that other people can help her to learn to live. It is quite a journey and one you totally ride with Lynn, even if you can see what she might be missing even if she isn't.

There's a bit of romance in this book, very understated, very important, very believable and very heartbreaking. I said it before, this is not an easy or fluffy book and they way the story progresses continues to show that.

Harsh but beautiful, this is a book I'd highly recommend to anyone. Highly deserved 5 stars!



View all my reviews

10 comments:

  1. I just finished this one and really enjoyed it, too. The world was VERY real and even though nothing really happens as far as the plot it was just a great story about survival you know. Realistic and with a tough protagonist that learns others aren't so bad after all. I also felt the same about the romance. It was so sad though :( Glad you liked it too, Pili!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Giselle! So glad to hear you enjoyed it too!

      Delete
  2. I love your Friday reads; you always review books that I have on my TBR pile! I wanted to request and ARC of this one but ended up reading another one.
    Anyway, this book sounds AMAZING! I really want to read it now more than before!
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    Lis @ The reader lines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lis! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it when/if you read it!

      Delete
  3. This has become one of MY most anticipated reads too, after reading so many wonderful reviews. I'm so glad to see it worked so well for you, it makes me feel better about ordering a copy.
    By far the scariest dystopian/post-apocalyptic worlds are those I can easily imagine happening. I can't wait to learn more about this one.
    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maja! I'm very glad it didn't disappoint at all, it's a great read!

      Delete
  4. Great review Pili, I've heard lots of good things about this book and have only seen great reviews for it! Sounds like it's a realistic and scary dystopian with a great main character.

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeann! I'd love to hear your thoughts about it if you end up reading it!

      Delete
  5. Yay! I'm so glad this worked for you. I agree - the whole concept is so scarily plausible. It makes Lynn's situations feel all the more real. Brilliant review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sam!
      Yep, it's scary to think how easy to imagine it all happening!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!