Saturday, January 9, 2016

Saturday Pages: Their Fractured Light & The Darkest Minds!!!

Hiya there guys!!

I'm having the weekend off and so far not many plans other than reading and binge watching something on Netflix (quite probably Daredevil, so I'll be up to date once the second season comes out). And maybe getting some sushi for dinner if I do some around the house chores too ;)

For this first Saturday Pages of the new year I have another two books that I read in 2015 but I had failed to review yet!


Their Fractured Light (Starbound, #3)Their Fractured Light by Amie Kaufman

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


The Starbound series has been a joy to my science fiction lover soul since I first got my hands on the first book, and now that I've read and loved the third and final one, my only complain is there I won't have any more of them to look forward to.

On Their Fractured Light not only we get alternating chapters of Gideon & Sofia's POV, but also there are some small... interludes I'd call them, with a different voice or voices that really do add some much to the story and bring the three books together in a rather unexpected way too!

Gideon and Sofia are a fantastic couple although their relationship ends up being complex and twisted due to their very own natures and their secrets. I really enjoyed how even lying to each other they found truths to hold on about each other, their own selves and what they really wanted to do and what risks were worth taking.

I was also very happy to see Flynn & Jubilee and Lilac & Tarver back! Getting them all as a big team, despite some hitches along the way was fantastic, because I loved having the other four back and they still didn't take away from Gideon & Sofia's spotlight!

There were some series twists and unexpected things dropped on us that really left me reeling and shocked and very very concerned for how my dears will save the day after the severly mind & heartwrenching twists were thrown into the story! I cannot say any more because big spoilers obviously, but wow... Amie & Meagan know how to throw things at you that both surprise you, break you and still make a lot of sense!

Quite simply put an amazing book and the perfect ending to this very beloved trilogy! Great characters, fantastic plot not only on this book but the overall for the whole trilogy! Irrestible science fiction, space opera style! Extremely deserving of 5 stars (with their respective star systems!).

My only complain? I don't think I'm ready to say goodbye to these characters!! I need more!! Maybe an extra epilogue? A novella? Something!!


The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds, #1)The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I loved dystopian stories with an absolute passion till I got really burned on them, one of those problems of reading too much in the same genre, and so I have not read any dystopians and have been avoiding them for the past year. BUT, I had the whole series in my Kindle for quite a while and decided to read at least the first book to get myself acquainted with Alexandra Bracken's writing before diving into Passenger.

And soon enough I remembered why I used to love dystopian stories, why I rooted for their characters and why I was so hooked on them that I ended up burning myself up. The Darkest Minds is full of action, dangers, great characters and twisted plot that leave you breathless and a darkness and danger that cannot be discounted as something imagined and unprobable. Yes, mental powers are not likely to come after an illness, but the way the government and society reacted? Yep, not unlikely at all!

Ruby was an amazing character to root for, to worry about and to feel like smacking on the head on very rare occasions. Given her past and her fears, I could understand and forgive some of her less than stellar choices, thankfully rare as they were. I loved how she didn't want to be a leader or take risks at first, but she steps up when she knows she has to and when she needs to protect those she cares about.

I was very distraught about the ending because of the sacrificies that she makes, but since this is the first book in the trilogy, I'm both excited and scared to see what twists will come in the next books and to read about Ruby's journey!

Very much deserved 4 stars to the book that returned my love for dystopian books!


View all my reviews

13 comments:

  1. YESSSSSSSSSS AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH THESE ARE TWO OF MY ABSOLUTELY FAVORITE BOOKS AND I'M SO HAPPY YOU LOVED THEM. Honestly, seeing Lilac and Tarver was just. Yes. BUT OH MY GOSH RIGHT. Their Fractured Light gave me so so so many feels.

    AND DARKEST MINDS. THAT END. Oh my gosh you're going to love the rest of the books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so Nikki! Planning to get to the other two books by the end of this month or in Feb!!

      Delete
  2. YAY! Two hot novels of Disney's! I love The Darkest Minds! Have you read Brightly Woven? (I can't remember if you have or haven't, but if you haven't, READ IT! It's one of my favorites ever!) I still need to read Their Fractured Light so I didn't really read your review but YAY! Five stars makes me happy. Lovely reviews, Pili! :)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Brightly Woven, but I do think I have it on my Kindle!
      You haven't read Their Fractured Light yet?? Get on it missy!!

      Delete
  3. OMG THESE BOOKS. Wasn't Their Fractured Light just PERFECT? Omg still reeling from that ending, which I absolutely adored.
    Ahh I also can't wait for you to finish up the Darkest Mind series (hopefully this year??) IT'S SO GOOD and again, THE ENDING WAS TOTALLY RAD. :D :D

    - Aila @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their Fractured Light was absolutely PERFECT indeed Aila! And YES! My plan is to continue the Darkest Minds book and finish it this year!! I cannot wait to start Never Fade as soon as I can make a dent on my eARCs!

      Delete
  4. Daredeveil is amazing! I cannot wait for season 2!! Jessica Jones was great, too (I LOVED the villain!!) but I think I liked Daredevil way more :)

    I think I've had The Darkest Minds on my TBR list for a while and I don't think I ever realized it was a dystopian, LOL. I'm really happy to hear that you liked it--I may have to move it up on my list and read it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only watched one episode of Daredevil because my Netflix was acting up, but I liked it so far!

      Delete
  5. I still need to read both of these but I'm so excited! Especially since I just got
    Their Fractured Light in the mail YAYY~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have had These Broken Stars on my Kindle since last year! I should add it to my Rock My TBR Challenge list right now while I am thinking about it. I also have a physical ARC of The Darkest Minds that I received ages ago in a giveaway bundle. I have the second book on my Kindle. I should add those to my Challenge list also! Thanks for the reviews, Pili. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally need to add them all, and then we can buddy read Never Fade! =D

      Delete
  7. Both of these are books I haven't read yet again. I'm a little unsure about the Darkest Minds. I've read very few negative reviews but I am not sure it is for me. I think I might try her latest book called Passenger first and if I like that one, then try this one afterwards?

    ReplyDelete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!