Saturday, January 30, 2016

Saturday Pages: The Off-Campus series by Elle Kennedy!!!

Hey there guys! *waves*

As the last reviews for January I'm having a series that I binge read on Monday last week! It was my day off and I was supposed to buddy read The Deal with my friend Alyssa from The Eater of Books. And that we did, we both read it and loved it, but for some reason I ended up binging the rest of the series till 6 am! O_o
Thank goodness for working the 3 to 10 pm shift and being able to sleep in till noon!

So this week's Saturday Pages is all about mini reviews for all three of the books! Now I'm impatiently awaiting the next book to come, because for once a series of companion books ended in what could be considered if not a cliffhanger, at least quite the shocker!


The Deal (Off-Campus, #1)The Deal by Elle Kennedy

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Loved this one! I don't usually read a lot of NA, probably the last NA I read were Ann Aguirre's 2B series (that I loved) but I decided to buddy read this one with my friend Alyssa from The Eater of Books and boy did I love it!!

This book was full of humour, some real life issues that are dealt with but don't become the center of the book and don't make for unbearable drama and angst. The characters deal with the issues, work on them and live with them, but the book is not about getting over said issues/bad things. They appear because they're part of the character's life but they go on and live and thrive. Big kudos for the positive message there.

We get alternating POV chapters between Hannah and Garrett and boy how much did I love these two! I adored how Hannah was both confident and strong but had her insecurities and vulnerabilities that she worked at dealing with. And Garrett, oh dear... that guy! He's cocky and confident but also so focused on his sport and on what he wants to accomplish! He's more than just a stereotypical jock from the beginning, and the more we get to know him, the more I liked him!

I don't know a whole lot about hockey, but this book really made me want to start watching the game and managed to explain enough about the going-ons in the team and game without being boring.

The romance was simply fantastic, from dislike, to platonic friendship to a chemistry that's off the charts and all with low angst, even when the conflict arises near the end of the book. And even more when on the moment of possible drama and confrontation... you end up laughing your arse off because of the fantastic humour!

I laughed, out loud and a lot reading this book, I giggled, I cackled, I swooned and I fanned myself. I seriously loved it to bits and want to re-read it soon. Also, I want a Garrett of my own... too bad we have no hockey over here that I know of! 5 well deserved stars for the kind of NA I'd love to read more!



The Mistake (Off-Campus, #2)The Mistake by Elle Kennedy

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


As soon as I finished reading The Deal I needed to read this one, and seeing how it was on sale, I JUST HAD TO GRAB IT AND READ IT!

I really liked Logan as Garrett's best friend and although I was a bit unhappy and wary about certain developments and Logan's feelings by the end of The Deal, I trusted the author wouldn't go on the high on drama and angst route and she didn't disappoint.

Logan is not in the best place emotionally at the beginning of the book and his family situation isn't helping with how unhappy he feels about things. He's quite the player, inside and out of the ice rink, and now he's feeling unhappy and restless about it. And he ends up making the "mistake" the title refers to. Mostly being an arsehole and not seeing what's in front of him!

Just like The Deal was, this one is told in dual POV, Logan's and Grace's and I loved them both. I understood and felt for Logan, but wanted to seriously slap him silly on the first few chapters (that's actually what on second thought costed this one a half star and for me to drop the rating) but then when he was determined to win Grace back no matter what? Oh boy, he was beyond adorable!!

Grace is a fantastic character! At first she's a bit unsure of her place on campus and who she is, but after facing Logan's issues and her best friend's... well, she finds herself putting herself first and finding that she can be assertive and strong. Her parents are fantastic and I loved how crazy but awesome her mum was. I loved how she started doing things for herself but still gave Logan a chance at working hard to prove himself.

Another fantastic example of humour and low angst NA, with fantastic chemistry, many laughing moments, some serious ones and quite a few "oh dear" *fans self* moments too! Hockey players do really have a certain something! 4.5 to 4 stars to this one!



The Score (Off-Campus, #3)The Score by Elle Kennedy

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Given that I was not a big fan of Dean in the previous book and that at the start of this one I really disliked him and he irritated me to know end with his attitude, I'm surprised but how much I ended up liking him by the end of it! How did that happen??

This book is like the previous ones told in dual POV, Dean's and Allie's. We already know them both from previous books (or at least we thought so!). Allie is Hannah's best friend and I really liked these two as best friends, always being there for each other when they needed it. And because of that support and helping between them, Allie gets herself into quite an unexpected situation, right after breaking up with her long term boyfriend.

Dean... well, Dean is quite different from what I expected him to be. He's a massive player and what we see of him in the beginning reaaaally ticked me off. And the way he continued to go after Allie was both irritating and somewhat alluring. Confusing? Contradictory? Hell yeah! I could understand Allie's mixed feelings because I was having them myself to a point!

The chemistry between these two is OFF THE CHARTS and I really loved seeing a different side of Dean and seeing Allie asserting what she wants to do with her life. I must say that the ending was a bit more angsty and Dean disappointed me a lil bit, because he failed Allie in ways I wouldn't have expected him so, although things get sorted and fixed with work and in an adult manner, not too fairy tale like.

The biggest surprise was the bomb thrown at the very end of the book, that left me making all the grabby hands at the next book and Trucker's story!! Very much deserved 4 stars for this one, proving that I can like NA and quite a LOT at that!


20 comments:

  1. Okay I definitely need to read this! I'm still new to New Adult (hehe that sounds funny), but I keep hearing how wonderful this author is. I always love humor incorporated into novels, and I like how serious issues/problems are addressed yet they don't take over the plot. Sometimes it seems like the author is just trying to shove themes down your throat and it feels fake. It's definitely more authentic to subtly incorporate as this author seems to have done. Beautiful reviews, dear! <3

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel, darling! I do hope you'll give the series a try, I'm already itching to re-read the first book!

      Delete
  2. Ahh YES! Elle Kennedy is one of my favorite NA adult authors. I'm so happy you loved it. Don't know many bloggers that read NA which is kind of a bummer bc I dont have anyone to talk to about it.... But know I have you!!! YAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually read much NA, but I might be starting to read more from now on Helena!! ;)

      Delete
  3. Ohhh, awesome series review Pili :D So glad you liked this whole series so much. <3 Yesss. That is awesome :D They are not for me, though you do make them sound pretty good. <3 Thank you for sharing your stunning thoughts sweetie :) I hope you are having the best weekend. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear! The weekend is being pretty good so far!

      Delete
  4. Oh you girls and your books with bare-chested men on the covers! Just wanted you to know I stopped by. I used to read a series of books about naughty flight attendants when I was younger. Ha ha! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually go for that kinda covers (mostly I'm glad I read them on my Kindle!) but hockey players... well, one makes exceptions!

      Delete
  5. I don't read many NA books because I feel like all of them feel the same. I'm glad this series is different, maybe I'll read them soon.
    Have a nice weekend, Pili!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither do I, but I really enjoyed these, so I can recommend them!

      Delete
  6. Ok you win. I am so not a this book fan but this one looks....amazing. I'm sold and I've purchased the ebook!
    ❤️Britt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSSS!! I want you to DM when you read it and tell me what you think about our boy Garrett!! ;)

      Delete
  7. I loved the first book! I still haven't read the others yet to get a feel on the rest of the series, but I heard nothing but good things!

    Great reviews!

    Amber ❤ The Book Bratz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the first one remains my favourite of them all too, Amber!

      Delete
  8. Girl, you put me to shame. :D Thank you for doing the buddy-read with me! Total whim by us and I'm glad it was successful on both of our parts (i.e. we both liked the book), and I'm even more happy to see that you enjoyed books two and three! I'd been vacillating about book two (because of Logan's "feelings" for Hannah) but I think everyone has convinced me that it is NOT as bad as I'm making it out to be, in my head... I'll definitely be reading the next two books at some point while we wait for book four.

    LOVELY reviews, Pili! <3

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, not as bad at all! It's resolved early enough! I hope you'll get to read it soon!

      Delete
  9. I gobbled up the first two books and just finished Dean and Allie's story last week (I think lol). My favourite part is that the two of them are always honest with each other. I'm really loving all the boys and man that bomb at the end... O.O We really need that fourth book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!! We need book 4 like now! I read somewhere that she's aiming to have it published in April!!

      Delete
  10. Oh I'm so happy you loved these Pili! It is definitely my favorite NA series to date! Garrett was my book boyfriend of 2015, so I love that everyone is falling for him! I liked Logan's story ok, but Dean's was so wonderful! I loved him and Allie! I can't wait for the next book! I need more Tuck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Garrett is the best!! He's already one of my 2016 book boyfriends for sure!! And yeah, Tuck's story is gonna be woah, I'm sure!!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!