Friday, March 21, 2014

Friday Reads: Landry Park by Bethany Hagen!

For this next Friday Reads entry I have a book I was quite intrigued about, another debut book and one that counts for my Dystopian Reading Challenge 2014!





Landry Park (Landry Park, #1)Landry Park by Bethany Hagen

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Landry Park was one of those books that I was quite looking forward to and that despite liking it well enough, I was disappointed that I didn't love it more.

As a dystopian it had a very interesting setting, with a plausible detonant for the drastic change in society and a very fitting return to Victorian values to showcase better the stratification of the society that came out of it all. I enjoyed the descriptions and the setting of the story, even if the frivolous society sometimes rubbed me the wrong way.

I liked Madeline quite a lot cause didn't want to conform entirely, she wanted to go to college and even though she loved Landry Park and wanted to do her duty, she also wanted to do it on her terms. What she didn't expect was to have everything that she had shaken so badly as she did. I also appreciated that she had many doubts about what road to take and though she wanted to do the right thing, it was a very hard choice to keep in mind when you return to the comfort you've always known.

The rest of the characters were quite interesting, with something more to them than what it seemed at first, the mean girl wasn't exactly as mean and as elite as she seemed at first, same with Madeline's father cause he was understanding, cruel and tyrannical in equal measures. The relationships might have been the one thing in the book that kept on getting on my nerves: all the hot and cold David, the juxtaposed love triangles to call them something, and all the deception going on... simply not my cup of tea.

The brewing revolution, the underlying social issues and the food for thought that Madeline's attitude and choices can provide, that was my favourite part of the book.

I enjoyed this book, I wanted to like it more but for some reason I failed to feel more involved with the characters and feel more for them. I'm giving it 3 to 3.5 stars and I plan to check the sequel, cause I want to see what happens next with the Landrys.



View all my reviews

14 comments:

  1. Huh. You know, for some reason, I thought this was a contemporary. Guess I should pay more attention!

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the name? But yeah, it's dystopian with historical/period bits!

      Delete
  2. I absolutely agree with everything you said in this review. I so wanted to love this more. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christina! There was that nagging feeling of not being able to enjoy the book more somehow...

      Delete
  3. I'm glad that you said the reasons for the dystopian society were plausible. That's one of my big problems with this genre - when you have to sit there and think,"Why in the world would society accept this?" I hate when it seems like there is no purpose other than to write a book around it.

    I've got this checked out from the library right now (along with about 10 other books.) Not sure if I'll bother to read it before I have to return it, because I haven't seen lots of enthusiastic reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie! I can't tell you to make it a priority, but maybe start it and see what you think? Unless you have more pressing books on the TBR list!

      Delete
  4. I had a similar reaction to this one Pili! I thought the world was fascinating in a horrifying sort of way, but the hot and cold relationship between Madeline and David drove me crazy. One minute he'd be nice to her, and then the next he'd throw her station in her face, and I just couldn't quite fall for him the way I wanted to. Like you though, I did enjoy this one overall and am curious about how things will go for the characters moving forward. Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the world building but yeah, David got on my nerves, and Madeline despite her best efforts also did on occasion!
      Hopefully book 2 will be better with that!

      Delete
  5. Well, damn. I'm sorry you didn't love this one. Love triangle? Seriously? They are EVERYWHERE :( Sob. But anyway. I do like this cover. But everytime I see the name I call it "Laundry Park". Not sure why, lol :D But anyway. I'm glad you still enjoyed this book; and that you want to read the sequel :) That is always a plus. Thank you for sharing sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was so grrrrr about the romance! Between the hot and cold and then the love triangle bits... ugh!
      And I did write Laundry Park at some point during the review and had to edit it too! ;)
      Thank you, Carina!

      Delete
  6. Another return to Victorian values? As plausible as it may seem in this story, I don't get why so many authors make that choice.
    I expected a lot from this book, but the reviews so far have been more or less like yours, which means I'll probably pass.
    Pity, though, Great review, Pili!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was also wondering, it was an interesting twist for a dystopian, but wasn't as good as I had hoped.
      Thank you, Maja!

      Delete
  7. I like the sound of this but I don't think I can handle any more dystopians at this point. I wonder why they would return to Victorian values though, it seems redundant and not progressive. Anyway, lovely review Pili! Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was mostly like a way to stablish differences between the different social classes. But yeah, if you feel like you need to take a break from dystopians, skip this one!
      Thanks Jeann!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!