Monday, December 16, 2013

Mark This Book Monday: ARC Review of Impostor by Susanne Winnacker!

This week's Mark This Book Monday is gonna be another one of my pile of ARCs for review I got for NetGalley and I'm cheating a bit, since I have other books that have been released already or will release before this one, that releases on Jan 2nd 2014, but I so was in the mood for this one!


Impostor (Variants, #1)Impostor by Susanne Winnacker

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I had Impostor on my TBR list for a while and when my request for it was approved on NetGalley I was quite chuffed!

Impostor is the story of Tessa, a young girl that is a Variant. And what's a Variant you might ask? Think something similar to the X-Men, humans with strange mutations that make them have strange abilities. Some are super strong, others can read minds and Tessa can absorb someone's DNA and transform into that person to the last detail. That ability and the fact that her mom didn't care for her at all lander Tessa at the FEA, a division of the FBI that has Variants as agents and works on missions for the government that no one else can pull off.

Tessa is still practicing her Variation, but when a serial killer fails to kill her latest victim that is a deep coma that she probably won't wake up from , the FEA decide to take a chance and get Tessa to impersonate Madison to try and see if the killer was close to her. This assignment is way harder on Tessa than even she expected at first, given the emotional side to it.

Impostor has a bit of everything, science fiction due to the mutations/abilites, thriller & murder mystery that keeps you wondering for quite a while, and of course a big reflection on the emotional side of who we are and who we would like to be. That part I must say was the most unexpected and one that really made me like this book more.

The romance was the part that managed to irk me most, the whole hot & cold way with Alec is the one thing it's almost a sure recipe for annoyance for me, but I was glad there were no sign of any love triangles with Tessa being in Madison's skin. I think it added an additional emotional strain that didn't make all that much sense, even less when the excuse most used was "doing it to keep her safe", what I did like was that Tessa decided to stand up for herself.

Tessa was an emotional mess for one reason or another during most of the book, but she managed to keep her mind in the mission and did her best to stop the killer. I really liked how there was an extra layer given to what was the motivation behind the killer and how that opens the doors to the sequel(s). Also really happy about the lack of cliffhanger at the end! Well deserved 4 stars.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!