Friday, November 15, 2013

Friday Reads: ARC Review of The Rising by Terra Harmony!

As the final review for this week's Friday Reads another ARC review that will count towards my NetGalley November challenge!


The Rising (The Painted Maidens Trilogy, #1)The Rising by Terra Harmony

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I requested The Rising on NetGalley because it sounded like quite a different take on the paranormal. I haven't read any books about mermaids before cause they usually don't sound appealing enough to me, but werewolves are quite common paranormal creatures, but I don't think I've encountered a book that mixes both the way The Rising does.

The Rising was quite a pleasant surprise, it was a very engaging book that not only had a different and unique premise, but also managed to tell a good story in the first book of a trilogy. This is a world were Undines (that don't like to be called mermaids) and werewolves were once allies and after a bloody massacre in which many Undines perished, they became enemies. This has had very dire consequences for the Undine society, so much that it's threatening the very existence of their race.

Selena is our main character, an Undine of the last generation born and a loner. She doesn't seem to fit in with normal society with her experiments and her excursions to The Dry. She finds herself in a very difficult position and is assigned the task of being the new liason with the werewolves. She knows it'd be very dangerous but she didn't know she find out more than she could have ever imagined!

The book has a few twists, some that are easier to anticipate than others. It is quite a good first book, with enough world building to prepare the stage for what's to come, with a few surprises there to make things a lil more interesting. With its own action and climax in the end and without a cliffhanger! It leaves tension and questions unanswered to look forward to in the next book, and I will be eagerly awaiting to read it!

A little undecided between 3.5 and 4 starts.





View all my reviews

6 comments:

  1. Oh, pretty cover :D Sounds like a great book. I'm glad you mostly enjoyed it :) Thank you for sharing sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carina! I was totally guilty of book cover lust with this one. Thankfully it was also a good read!

      Delete
  2. I can't think of a single book that I've read in the past that combines werewolves with mermaids. That sounds pretty interesting! I'm usually so and so about mermaid books, but the premise here does sound quite unique. Thanks for drawing it to my attention, Pili! Lovely review as always. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam! Do let me know what you think of it if you check it out!

      Delete
  3. I might have to check this out. I'm always a sucker for a mermaid story!

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read mermaid stories so far, but this one was very interesting!
      Let me know what you think if you check it out!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!