Friday, July 3, 2015

Vengeance Road by Erin Bowman: Mini preview review and PREORDER CONTEST!!

Hey there guys!!

Happy Friday! And happy start of the long 4th of July weekend to those of you in the US! Also happy belated Canada Day to all my Canuck friends!

Today I am going to share my love for one of my BEA books that will come out in September with a mini preview review, since it's still a lil early and also spread the word on the preorder contest that is going on for said book!

Vengeance Road by Erin Bowman was one of those books that I knew I needed to get from BEA this year, and even though I'm not sure if they had any drops or anything, me and my BEA crew got our ARCs by the very simple method of going to the HMH Books booth and ask about it!




As the mood reader that I am I really couldn't wait till a closer time to release date to read Vengeance Road (but at least it's not as bad as already having read Truthwitch, that comes out in Jan... I know, I know!!) and since I had like well enough Erin's Taken trilogy ( I still need to read the final book though, soon!) I was pretty excited to read this one!

Vengeance Road truly blew me away! I loved it from beginning to end! It took me a lil while to get used to Kate's dialect (and the general way everyone speaks in the book) but after the first 4 chapters I was so immersed in the book and the story, it just felt natural to me!

I'm not the biggest western lover or expert but I've watched my fair share of John Wayne movies with my dad and enough episodes of Bonanza on weekend mornings to not be a complete newbie, BUT, I don't think I've really read a western book before, unless you count the 3 Rin-Tin-Tin ones that my brother had?

Vengeance Road was both atmospheric and had a very visual setting, you could almost feel the scorching heat and the dust in your eyes! I loved how Erin did use a real legend and added some historical characters into the story as a base for Kate's story. I loved how the pace was quite fast and a lot happened in the book but never to the point of being overwhelming or confusing, and I love how we got some seriously unexpected plot twists here and there!

Kate is quite a cactus character (I love that metaphor that Amber Argyle created on her Summer Queen book and plan to continue to use it!) very prickly and for a while she had me a bit worried about her lack of remorse, but I love how by the end of the book she was both stronger and softer than she was in the beginning.

There are two boys, but no love triangle, unexpected allies and a band of bandits that hide more than one ace on their sleeves, a quest for Vengeance and gold and redemption and quite a few shocks and deaths and a wonderful slow burn romance and a heroine that doesn't know the meaning of giving up!

Not only I gave Vengeance Road 5 stars but I also have it preordered already! And I MUST INSIST that you all go and preorder this one! If you liked Erin's previous books you must get this one and if you weren't too keen on them... I insist even more!!




And if you need a lil bit of a push to preorder the book already... Erin Bowman has a fantastic contest going on in her website. You get an awesome swag pack just by preordering the book, and then you enter a contest to win even more awesome stuff! For more details, click HERE!!


20 comments:

  1. Ooh this book sounds so good! I love the beautiful cover and the synopsis is so enthralling :D

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is amazing indeed as is what's inside the book, Rachel!

      Delete
  2. Ack, I have this as a e-ARC and I can't wait to start it! The cover is absolutely gorgeous and it sounds sooooo good :D I can't wait to start it and I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

    Asma @ IceyBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope you'll love it, Asma! It was fantastic!!

      Delete
  3. Oh yay! I have this one too and now I'm super excited! I haven't read Erin's Taken series yet, but I do want to someday! I love the term cactus character! That is such a cool way of describing her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read it in an Amber Argyle book and I think it's an awesome term! I cannot wait to hear what you think of it Jessica!

      Delete
  4. I can't wait to read this one! I got my brother to get it for me at BEA by asking at the HMH booth on the last day and he got the LAST copy!! Woot woot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY for getting the last copy!! Woot woot!! And yay for team work with your bro!
      Cannot wait to hear what you think!

      Delete
  5. Reading this one soon! I didn't really like Bowman's Taken trilogy - each book got 3 stars (between 2.5 and 3). I hate Westerns so I have seriously low expectations for this book, but I want to read it!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope you'll like it Alyssa! I really loved it (more than the Taken series too!!).

      Delete
  6. I am kinda of obsessed with westerns (well with anything remotely historical) so this is perfect. The fact that you loved make me so very happy! Thank you lovely for grabbing me one of these bad boys. Love ya roomie!
    <3 Britt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But of course roomie!! You were saving out spot at the Susan signing line!! *squishes*

      Delete
  7. This one sounds totally atmospheric with great characterisation. I'm not the biggest fan of historical fiction, but Kate sounds like she went through some great character development by the end of the book. Lovely review Pili!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was brilliantly done Jeann, I hope you'll give it a try!!

      Delete
  8. I've seen this book around but I had no idea what it was about until now. I'm intrigued and glad that you enjoyed it!

    -Mari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll give this one a try, Mari! Thank you!

      Delete
  9. Yay :D Gorgeous post Pili. <3 Thank you for sharing a bit about this gorgeous book :) I'm reading it next, just need the time to start :p but soon :D So so thrilled that you loved it so much. Yay! Thank you for sharing sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope you'll like it sweetie! No love triangle at all btw! ;)

      Delete
  10. I don't read anything even remotely western, but I think my sister would love this. I am definitely going to reccomend it to her. :)

    ReplyDelete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!